Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav4, Bronco on the way
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I ordered my bronco and now have a build date of 5/19, however I was encouraged to remove the tow package as it was a constraint. I remember reading a 4500 lb tow capacity with the 2.7L but the aftermarket rough country tow kit says 3500. Are there any other options including the one you can purchase from Ford that would match the 4500 or am I just misunderstanding something. I’m not trying to tow anything crazy, just a little trailer (picking up stuff at Lowe’s or moving stuff small amounts at a time) or small camper for no more than 4 people (wife and 2 small children)
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

4500 lbs is only available with the Bronco Raptor.

The maximum with the "regular" Bronco is 3500 lbs. And some of the upper trims have even less (~3200 lbs or so) due to their increased weight.

There will likely be some aftermarket options available at some point that'll require different suspension and maybe even a rear axle swap as well. But I haven't seen anything hit the market as of yet.

OP
OP
WILDcardOD

WILDcardOD

Wildtrak
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav4, Bronco on the way
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ahhhhh thank you, that makes sense. I knew I saw the 4500 somewhere. Oh well, the camper I looked at was 2500 so that should work with some room to spare for stuff we could bring with.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ahhhhh thank you, that makes sense. I knew I saw the 4500 somewhere. Oh well, the camper I looked at was 2500 so that should work with some room to spare for stuff we could bring with.
Yup!! Should work.

If your Bronco is kitted out with all of the body armor and whatnot, just take a peak at the weight ratings when it arrives so you have a general idea of what you have to work with. The 2.7L Badlands trim in particular has a pitiful cargo capacity (only around 1000 lbs total) due to all the extra weight from the bash plates, rock rails, steel bumpers, etc. But, yeah, if your trailer is only around 2500 lbs I don't think it'll be much of an issue. Most of the time it only really becomes an concern if the trailer has a huge water tank on-board.

jbacon47

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco BadLands manual 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It will never be legal to tow more than 3500lbs with a bronco (aside Raptor) regardless of any aftermarket parts/hitches. If you get in an accident, it will be your fault if it's determined to be avoidable had you stayed within the towing limit. Think if someone cuts you off.. and you hit them because you didn't slow down fast enough. And insurance won't cover a cent.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WILDcardOD

WILDcardOD

Wildtrak
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav4, Bronco on the way
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It will never be legal to tow more than 3500lbs with a bronco (aside Raptor) regardless of any aftermarket parts/hitches. If you get in an accident, it will be your fault if it's determined to be avoidable had you stayed within the towing limit. Think if someone cuts you off.. and you hit them because you didn't slow down fast enough. And insurance won't cover a cent.
Yep didn’t realize the raptor was the one that was 4500, no worries. I had thought 3500 was the 2.3 and 4500 was the 2.7. Once someone explained it to me it was all good. I just wanted to make sure the aftermarket tow assembly wasn’t rated for less than the bronco itself was.
Sponsored