Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You know you guys can actually watch a thread without having to post. Little blue button near the top. I keep getting excited every time this shows new post only to find out it's just people following. 🤣

BroncoB

First Edition
First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Lol all the following. Mine's supposed to be delivered today so I'll post what I get. I won't be able to actually try to install it right away but hopefully you will be able to get the info you need.

Just noticed the other post with the instructions. They say universal kit but the store told me it was Bronco specific. We'll see.

Thurmy7

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban, Tacoma, Patriot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You know you guys can actually watch a thread without having to post. Little blue button near the top. I keep getting excited every time this shows new post only to find out it's just people following. 🤣
Watching ;)

BroncoB

First Edition
First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
So the item I received was exactly what was posted by @Rob79 which is the Tekonsha 22551 (made by Horizon Global). It is a generic 7 pin trailer hitch wiring kit with a plug that you can plug a brake controller into. I contacted Tekonsha about compatibility with the Bronco and they really couldn't give me an answer as to whether is was known to be compatible but that it should be. If an existing harness worked with the Bronco, I would think someone would have done it by now and it would be well know here on 6g. I'm not that comfortable trying to find out. Back in the day I had a local alarm shop with the greatest electrical wizard install an alarm in a Durango and they fried the entire electrical system as they weren't familiar with multiplexing which was new at the time. Luckily I didn't bear any responsibility and the alarm shop and dealer took care of fixing it, but I was out of a car for a few weeks while they did the work. Maybe someone with more expertise in this area will carry on and let us know.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Well that sucks for sure. You would think simply adding a 12v charging wire and a reverse wire wouldn't be this complex.

jbryant

Badlands
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I got an universal 7 pin conversation kit. Tied into the trailer brake access plug under the driver side dash. The plug has power, ground, brake petal switch input and output to trailer brake. I used the Curt 4 way to get my lights. The universals 7 pin kit has a receiver that accepts the 4 way plug. I’ll try and post some pics. But it was pretty easy to do.

BroncoB

First Edition
First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I got an universal 7 pin conversation kit. Tied into the trailer brake access plug under the driver side dash. The plug has power, ground, brake petal switch input and output to trailer brake. I used the Curt 4 way to get my lights. The universals 7 pin kit has a receiver that accepts the 4 way plug. I’ll try and post some pics. But it was pretty easy to do.
I could be wrong but I think you're just using 4 wires on a 7 pin plug. What we want to do here is get full function 7 pin wiring in the plug.

jbryant

Badlands
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I could be wrong but I think you're just using 4 wires on a 7 pin plug. What we want to do here is get full function 7 pin wiring in the plug.
I used the 4 way wires from the Curt harness and tied them into the 7 pin. The 3 other wires for I tied into the trailer brake access harness under the driver side dash.

BroncoB

First Edition
First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I used the 4 way wires from the Curt harness and tied them into the 7 pin. The 3 other wires for I tied into the trailer brake access harness under the driver side dash.
That sounds like an ingenious idea. Please share the details, looking forward to it.

Sponsored

BAMF

Badlands
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bayareametalfab.com
Vehicle(s)
Two 2021 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We tossed this on last year to get our trailer to AZ. No brake controller yet but it's wired and ready under the dash. No issues with the LED tail lights.

20220504_083041.jpg

Defyfate11

First Edition
First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camry TRD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Does anyone have more information and pics on how to install a full-function 7-pin towing wiring kit? I came across this universal video (5) 4-Flat to 7-Way Trailer Wiring Conversion - YouTube but I want to see a Bronco-specific install before attempting this upgrade on my own.

Blaylock1988

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, 2004 Volkswagen R32
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So the trailer brake plug was there despite not having the tow package? Can this be done in a way that still lets you plug in the OEM brake controller?

PCDan

First Edition
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
We tossed this on last year to get our trailer to AZ. No brake controller yet but it's wired and ready under the dash. No issues with the LED tail lights.

Ford Bronco Towing - 7 Pin harness options 20220504_083041
Perfect. Where did you get the plug ?