Headless Horseman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
By no means do we need a new battery but I've had experience with Optima and like how they are the best for additional drain (like when I get a winch) and other electronic items. Has anyone here switched over or does anyone intend to once their OEM battery is done?
Sponsored

swami37

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Ford F-1 and 2020 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Optima batteries are trash. I hate them.

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Optima batteries are trash. I hate them.
I went down the "Optima" road once. I bought a blue top for my boat, it didn't make it a whole season.:mad:
I'm in my mid 60's now, bought all types of batteries for all types of machines, Optima was my worst experience with a battery by far.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

We use yellow Optimas in our fleet, and I have the yellow in my other vehicle. (Personally I don't know why everyone goes for the reds, The yellow is what you need).

Now with that said, there are internet reports that the quality has completely gone downhill since they outsource them from "somewhere else now". I've had no trouble with mine.

In the 4x4 Community, seems like the move has now gone to either the Lipos, or something like the Odyssey.

Rumbloki

Badlands
First Name
Alton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2, 1973 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

FWIW. The stock battery is AGM like the yellow top. Don't know if it's the same without tow package.

Sponsored

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm thinking of running an H7 in mine. I've had Yellowtops in my Early Bronco for years and always had good luck with them. My buddy Chris at Lobo Off-Road put one in his Wildtrak recently. I was checking it out when I was over there the other day. He's also a dealer for Optima so I know where I'll be buying mine when the time comes.

swami37

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Ford F-1 and 2020 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I went down the "Optima" road once. I bought a blue top for my boat, it didn't make it a whole season.:mad:
I'm in my mid 60's now, bought all types of batteries for all types of machines, Optima was my worst experience with a battery by far.
I agree 1000 percent... Modern AGM batteries are far superior to the Optima

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm thinking of running an H7 in mine.
I was also thinking along these lines when the need comes. I've heard people having bad luck with Optima's, but I never had an issue but it's been a long time since I ran one. I've also ran the expensive Odyssey batteries with decent results but, just didn't see the price to wow factor to justify it again.

Sub'd 🤠

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

For what it is worth...........

AGM batteries require al low (2amp) charge. They do not like to have a charge "forced" into them. When vehicles did not have an AGM battery, the charging system is designed to charge the battery back up. Many times this would be more than the 2amp charge need for an AGM. This could be the reason for issues with an AGM battery in an older vehicle.

New vehicles with an AGM battery are now set to charge those AGMs. If one would install an old style, lead acid battery, you can run into battery problems with it.

The new Bronc is an AGM so I would suggest if you are going to "upgrade" the battery make sure it is still an AGM type.

RAC-Wildtrak

Wildtrak
First Name
RAC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
9 years ago I bought a 1973 Corvette to kinda reward myself for surviving open heart surgery. Battery was end of life, so I bought a Red Top. I kept the Vette in an unheated garage during Michigan Winters. I'd use the trickle charge when I remembered. Every time I turned the ignition, it started. Even after sitting for six or more months. Whenever my wife's Subaru failed to start because of mystery battery drain, it was easier to grab the Red Top out of the Vette from behind the driver's seat and jump the Subaru. Just sold the Corvette with that same battery. Actually used the $ from the Vette plus the $ from selling my JL to buy my Bronco about a week later.

I'm no "battery talking guy" but it seemed like a pretty good and reliable product.

Last edited:

Sponsored

330SMG

Badlands
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 F150 ,89 325i and 72 Dodge Charger SE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am confused. The original battery is an AGM buying a yellow top is a waste of money if the battery is still good. There are only 2 or 3 manufacturers of car batteries in the world so a lot of this stuff is just labels and branding. Properly cared for the battery should last 5 to 6 years easy.

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
9 years ago I bought a 1973 Corvette to kinda reward myself for surviving open heart surgery. Battery was end of life, so I bought a Red Top. I kept the Vette in an unheated garage during Michigan Winters. I'd use the trickle charge when I remembered. Every time I turned the ignition, it started. Even after sitting for six or more months. Whenever my wife's Subaru failed to start because of mystery battery drain, it was easier to grab the Red Top out of the Vette from behind the driver's seat and jump the Subaru. Just sold the Corvette with that same battery. Actually used the $ from the Vette plus the $ from selling my JL to buy my Bronco about a week later.

I'm no "battery talking guy" but it seemed like a pretty good and reliable product.
My '99 C5 had the problematic side-post AC Delco battery factory install and leaked acid (known problem) but I got lucky as it didn't hit the ECU (another known problem due to tray design and ECU placement), "just" took out the ground cable (a real b**** to replace and not cheap, either). I replaced it with a *top post* Optima and never had another problem. A lot has probably changed in the ~20 intervening years so I admit I don't know the current state of Optima but they'd start out on my short list if/when I need to start researching a replacement. I just picked up my Badlands this past April so here's hoping that's still quite a ways off yet. ;)

HighVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Scrambler, Ferrari 458
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't see any reason to move from the factory AGM. The Ford branded batteries have been pretty good in my experience.

Bronco Don

Black Diamond
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m going on three years with my OEM battery in my 21 bronco but when it goes out I’ll be going to Costco and get an interstate seems like a great battery to me

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't see any reason to move from the factory AGM. The Ford branded batteries have been pretty good in my experience.
Good to know. Thanks
Sponsored