Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Tahoe LT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Great information on this decision, bookmarked for later. Thanks everyone.
Sponsored

OP
OP
CrystalRedTintCoat

CrystalRedTintCoat

Wildtrak
First Name
BertJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Bronco Wildtrak; ā€˜13 Camaro 1LE
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Perhaps I have not done enough research but I thought death projectiles was a risk when not using soft shackles. Clearly I should have used weighted blanket
ALL ā€” I was VERY wrong with that assumption above. Very wrong. I finally watched the FULL PoPo Patty video and suggest everyone SPEND THE TIME watching it. Itā€™s 53 minutes, but worth it. Net net .. YES, soft shackles can become death projectiles. Luckily he didnā€™t die but his windshield was pierced through, and he sustained injury. I get it now, two days later, why everyone is posting what they did here. THANK YOU ALL for the education. THANK YOU, Popo Patty for your video. Iā€™m very sorry you endured all that. Your experience is worth a great deal to us all.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

ALL ā€” I was VERY wrong with that assumption above. Very wrong. I finally watched the FULL PoPo Patty video and suggest everyone SPEND THE TIME watching it. Itā€™s 53 minutes, but worth it. Net net .. YES, soft shackles can become death projectiles. Luckily he didnā€™t die but his windshield was pierced through, and he sustained injury. I get it now, two days later, why everyone is posting what they did here. THANK YOU ALL for the education. THANK YOU, Popo Patty for your video. Iā€™m very sorry you endured all that. Your experience is worth a great deal to us all.

Great info there. May have been covered and I missed it, but a couple more things. Don't ever let anyone drive over your rope. That jeep drove over the rope several times. Would have been better to have hooked to the passenger side to help pull the bronco back into the road. Don't have your passenger in the vehicle during the pull. Make sure they stay at a safe distance and where you can see them so they can stop you if they see anything going wrong.

OP
OP
CrystalRedTintCoat

CrystalRedTintCoat

Wildtrak
First Name
BertJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Itā€™s ok, If you wince then it means youā€™re ok. I didnā€™t have time to wince lol
I just watched your full video. My god. You are one lucky person. The angels are with you.

I hope you donā€™t mind, but summarized my learning from watching your video and reading this forum as follows:

1. Connect soft shackles through a metal D-shackle, rather than directly through the clevis hole.

2. Use known-good soft shackles that have serial number control and lot number control, rather than cheapo units from places that donā€˜t.

3. When connecting a kinetic rope to the vehicle, other than a receiver with a soft shackle hitch, consider using a bridle.

4. Kinetic pulls should probably follow the suggestions in Factory 55ā€™s kinetic rope recovery manual. 5MPH pulls with steady speed, rather than pulling with fervor and increasing speed.

5. Between pulls, inspect each vehicleā€™s surrounding area. Is (more) digging necessary? Do it. Donā€™t just pull for the sake of pulling; your vehicle may be stuck in one area that increases the weight of the pull needed to rescue it. Dig around the stuck parts. Should recovery boards have been used too?

6. Use the right size kinetic rope for your vehicle. Here Iā€™m confused. You were using 1ā€. I use 3/4ā€. You were told by a rope MFR to use 7/8ā€. See image here from Factor 55. Iā€™m using 3/4ā€ kinetic rope and 7/8ā€ soft shackLes. Iā€™m not saying Iā€™m right but should I be using a bigger kinetic rope??

7. Though you say thereā€™s no known information about it, I think weighted blankets are still something to consider. In one of my posts above I have a link to an Aussie video that suggests a Recovery Hierarchy. In that video they strongly demonstrate, and prove, that weighted pads help with snapping recovering ropes. I like your velcro idea ā€¦

8. I wonder if your soft shackle didnā€™t have a Gator Jaw like Bubba Ropesā€™ soft shackles. Iā€™m NOT saying they are the end-all, be-all, but they clearly market the gator jaw as their differentiator. Would a soft shackle with a gator jaw have helped prevent the split at the knot, or would this have been a zero-sum game? I honestly donā€™t know and Iā€™m wondering if Bubbaā€™s differentiator is a known-good safety measure.

Peace and thanks once more for your video given the dim circumstances.

-CRT

IMG_0323.png

TahoeTexan

Outer Banks
First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So my son lives in Reno and has been urging me to drive the Bronco up there to go off-roading. He suggested Peavine mountain because itā€™s an easy trail and even cars will drive up it. Given itā€™s still winter up there I thought fair enough and itā€™d be a nice mid afternoon outing. We drove effortlessly up three miles through mud and snow, but then we happened on two stopped vehicles. A Subaru outback and a Dodge Cummins full sized picked. The picked was high centered on snow and stuck.

Though Peavine is a super easy trail I didnā€™t want to take any risks and brought my recovery gear with me. Bubba kinetic nope and soft shackles to the rescue. I probably should have aired down my tires, but I got him out.

Welcome to Reno and Peavine (right in my backyard)! Glad it all worked out.

Sponsored
OP
OP
CrystalRedTintCoat

CrystalRedTintCoat

Wildtrak
First Name
BertJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Welcome to Reno and Peavine (right in my backyard)! Glad it all worked out.
Thanks. I was surprised this guy was stuck on Peavine. His side-by-side was stuck three miles ahead too. Not as ā€œeasyā€ as I was thinking. Anyway, this experience has caused me to update my recovery kit a bit. I ruined my soft shackle. ;-)

TahoeTexan

Outer Banks
First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks. I was surprised this guy was stuck on Peavine. His side-by-side was stuck three miles ahead too. Not as ā€œeasyā€ as I was thinking. Anyway, this experience has caused me to update my recovery kit a bit. I ruined my soft shackle. ;-)
It's probably more about the time of year.. When Peavine is dry, it's.pretty easy. This time.of year, especially with recent snow, it unpredictable.

I've seen vehicles stuck, and abandoned, in winter and spring.

OP
OP
CrystalRedTintCoat

CrystalRedTintCoat

Wildtrak
First Name
BertJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It's probably more about the time of year.. When Peavine is dry, it's.pretty easy. This time.of year, especially with recent snow, it unpredictable.

I've seen vehicles stuck, and abandoned, in winter and spring.
Iā€™m amazed how free Nevada is. Was just texting two buddies from IL and OH how I drove off road on Peavine past RVā€˜s, RV ā€œcommunitiesā€œ (like a group of 10 of them living together), and a dude plinking off the side of the road.
Sponsored