First Name
BertJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Bronco Wildtrak; ‘13 Camaro 1LE
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So my son lives in Reno and has been urging me to drive the Bronco up there to go off-roading. He suggested Peavine mountain because it’s an easy trail and even cars will drive up it. Given it’s still winter up there I thought fair enough and it’d be a nice mid afternoon outing. We drove effortlessly up three miles through mud and snow, but then we happened upon two stopped vehicles. A Subaru outback and a Dodge Cummins full sized picked. The pickup was high centered on snow and stuck.

Though Peavine is a super easy trail I didn’t want to take any risks and brought my recovery gear with me. Bubba kinetic nope and soft shackles to the rescue. I probably should have aired down my tires, but I got him out.

Sponsored

Last edited:

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

After @popo_patty's misadventure a few weeks ago and having read the report on the guy killed when the tow hitch broke and went through the window (not a Bronco), I have to say I winced a little.
It’s ok, If you wince then it means you’re ok. I didn’t have time to wince lol

RobWTX

Wildtrak
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
How is that connected to the truck, is it over the ball of a tow hitch? (video too small for my old eyes to tell!)

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s ok, If you wince then it means you’re ok. I didn’t have time to wince lol
I just watched the video. If I were there, I'd be the little spec up on the side of the mountain... lol

Sponsored
OP
OP
CrystalRedTintCoat

CrystalRedTintCoat

Wildtrak
First Name
BertJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
How is that connected to the truck, is it over the ball of a tow hitch? (video too small for my old eyes to tell!)
God no. But I could have, should have, put my hitch receiver shackle on his truck. Stupidly I put the gater jaws through his side receiver holes (where you mount safety chains or stabilizers). In the end I slightly wore the gater jaw on his end. My end was fine.

OP
OP
CrystalRedTintCoat

CrystalRedTintCoat

Wildtrak
First Name
BertJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
After @popo_patty's misadventure a few weeks ago and having read the report on the guy killed when the tow hitch broke and went through the window (not a Bronco), I have to say I winced a little.
Perhaps I have not done enough research but I thought death projectiles was a risk when not using soft shackles. Clearly I should have used weighted blankets,

Stuff I’ve followed prior to this, FWIW.

Please give suggestions or verbal lashing if I’m way out of line. I’m not fond of death or dismemberment… Should I have kept my hood UP?

RECOVERY TIPS

• A shovel and airing down will get you out of most trouble
  • Without a winch, Mad Trax will save you most of the time
  • Two weight blankets to prevent projectiles from either end
  • Soft shackles with snatch straps / kinetic rope when possible
  • Bubba says soft shackles when using kinetic rope with hitch receiver
  • O’Neil says use a safety strap if you have two mounts
  • Aussie dude (recovery 101) says to connect two mount into common junction if possible for even pulls
  • D-ring shackles - tighten by hand, then back off 1/2 turn.
  • O’Neil says to thread D-ring top to ground when using vertically

VIDEOS

Self Recovery:

4x4 Recovery Gear 101:

How to recover a 4x4:

HIERARCHY OF RECOVERY

Source: https://youtu.be/7STkTpTjDCU?si=6PgG9RLx4_q6UeRL @ 25:01

1. 4x4 Mode + Air Down
  2. Pack Rocks around tires, Traction Boards, Shovel around
  3. Tow Strap (refer to “Recovery Straps” note in Notes)
  4. Winch Test
  5. Snap / Kinetic Strap

OP
OP
CrystalRedTintCoat

CrystalRedTintCoat

Wildtrak
First Name
BertJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Incidentally, I’m watching Matt’s Recovery on YT right now and they are pulling a Tacoma from the front. They chose NOT to use the Tacoma’s front shackles.

on the bronco with the steel bumper, are the shackle mounts connected to the bumper or to the frame?

JerryG

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't think we should be pulling in reverse. Consider a trailer hitch mounted shackle and drive in forward.

OP
OP
CrystalRedTintCoat

CrystalRedTintCoat

Wildtrak
First Name
BertJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I don't think we should be pulling in reverse. Consider a trailer hitch mounted shackle and drive in forward.
I have that but chose not to use it. Why not reverse? B/c of the low gearing?

Sponsored

JerryG

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My understanding is that the reverse gear is not designed to handle the same amount of torque and there is a risk for teeth to break. Also if there is a recovery gear failure it comes thru your rear window and not your front.

telenerd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey we can all learn, doesn’t matter what it is. I like your attitude and asking for feedback.

One suggestion, I would have dug the truck out with a shovel to clear a better path. Then if you had traction boards tried those next. For the pull out I would have used your rear toe hook and pulled him out. Don’t ever go above 5mph when using a kentic rope. If you’re pulling from the front setup a bridle pull to lessen the shock.

I’m no expert or Matts Off-road recovery wanna be, just what I’ve learned over the years.

GI_Jo_Nathan

Black Diamond
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Iconic Silver 2dr Manual Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have that but chose not to use it. Why not reverse? B/c of the low gearing?
My understanding is that the reverse gear is not designed to handle the same amount of torque and there is a risk for teeth to break. Also if there is a recovery gear failure it comes thru your rear window and not your front.
Yes (edit: differential gears) are weakest in reverse. They basically try to separate themselves.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CrystalRedTintCoat

CrystalRedTintCoat

Wildtrak
First Name
BertJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hey we can all learn, doesn’t matter what it is. I like your attitude and asking for feedback.

One suggestion, I would have dug the truck out with a shovel to clear a better path. Then if you had traction boards tried those next. For the pull out I would have used your rear toe hook and pulled him out. Don’t ever go above 5mph when using a kentic rope. If you’re pulling from the front setup a bridle pull to lessen the shock.

I’m no expert or Matts Off-road recovery wanna be, just what I’ve learned over the years.
Appreciate this. Clearly I should have used my rear receiver shackle setup made for kinetic ropes. I didn’t have traction boards with me, nor did the truck owner. Seems like a logical investment. Perhaps I’ll put that n the 2024 budget, especially after this 1/1 adVenture. You know, shoveling is bang on. The truck owner shoveled, then shoveled some more. And I shoveled. And he shoveled so more. Thanks for your tips.

telenerd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Appreciate this. Clearly I should have used my rear receiver shackle setup made for kinetic ropes. I didn’t have traction boards with me, nor did the truck owner. Seems like a logical investment. Perhaps I’ll put that n the 2024 budget, especially after this 1/1 adVenture. You know, shoveling is bang on. The truck owner shoveled, then shoveled some more. And I shoveled. And he shoveled so more. Thanks for your tips.
Here is a pull I did for some Jeep that went off trail. I used my rear toe hook, soft shackles, kentic rope. Barely pulled and it came off the rock. Thinking back I should have told the kids in the Jeep to get out in case something broke or flew. Everyone around the scene was also very far away in case something snapped. Very easy pull, not the hardest one I’ve done. Looking forward to this upcoming wheeling season!

Sponsored