Sponsored

Planning a trip to Moab. Which armor to add next?

WhiskeyCity

Badlands
First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch 2.3L, 7spd
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Rear bumper seems to be the most damaged part of the Bronco in Moab. Snacktime is right, bring extra zip ties to re-hang your license plate on your spare after a boulder yeets it to the trail when you come off an obstacle.
Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I saw this that fits in my budget:
https://www.asfir.com/gear-box-skid-plate-599661.html

Anyone have any experience with this one? It's aluminum and fits with OEM skids.
Be sure you get the right one. The one you linked is for those with sta bar disconnect, which your Black Diamond should not have. I have a BB and got the ASFIR. I like it, doesn't drop down any more than it has to, most others do. It has sunken fasteners that seem to work real well. I would have preferred steel, but couldn't find one I liked.

Opinion: The rear diff is cast iron with a decent cover, pick your line and all should be well. Any skid you get will reduce clearance. I have a 2.3 so don't have them, but the K braces: They seem unneeded and if they get mangled a bit so what? Again, any skid for these would further reduce clearance.

OP
OP
Ironiguana

Ironiguana

Black Diamond
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

RC Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '97 Geo Tracker
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@SS Bronco has beat his LOD skid pretty good and it's definitely a decent product for the price. If you go Talon pm me if you want my $50 off code.

Keep an eye on your rear bumper, mine is hammered. Be prepared to glue/screw/wire tie your license plate on!
The license plate mount or whatever you want to call it is a joke of a part. A water crossing, not even that deep, ripped mine clear off. Took the bolts, the wiring, and every single one of the plastic clips

Sponsored

DefNotBuddyLee

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang / Jeep / F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Armor All. JK...see the other thread going on about that.
I can't remember if the factory skids had a gas tank skid. If not, that would be #1. Like @Lcubed said, if you don't have rock sliders or steps, that would be the next spot I would protect. Otherwise cross member skids since you have the v6 and auto.
Fins doesn't really have anything crazy that comes to mind that your factory skids would not protect against on the underside as long as you use some good lines. Mostly high approach/departure angle stuff that could cause some bumper scuffs.

Pseudoko

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2 Feet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry getting caught up. Everyone offered good advice on products. So no need to add to that part of the conversation.

I’d say the most important thing is bringing friends that know what they’re doing so you can help each other out. :)

Jer

Badlands
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands,2017 F350, 2023 F150L, 1976 K20
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Transmission or Rear bumper would be my choice. Transmission skid because a stick can take out the pan. 2nd item is the rear bumper, if you wheel you will slowly kill it.
Agree with this and exactly the route I went, including the bumper gettting torn up slowly

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm thinking rear differential.
That should be the very last thing you add. Ideally never, it just costs clearance. It takes decades of wheeling to wear through a diff housing. A thicker diff cover on the other hand isn't a terrible idea, but nobody seems to be having issues with the stock ones either. It's not like the fiberglass one I had on an explorer 8.8 that a stick took out....
Transmission or Rear bumper would be my choice. Transmission skid because a stick can take out the pan. 2nd item is the rear bumper, if you wheel you will slowly kill it.
Agreed on both. My tow hooks saved a lot of direct hits but my rear bumper is still taking a beating. And a trans skid can help you slide off boulders that would otherwise get stuck in between the engine and tcase skids.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was going to start with Fins and Things and go from there.
I was there in June and did both Fins and Hells. Front license plate no longer is up and down. I don't recall dragging on the bottom. The trick is to go over very slow and don't let the suspension compress when going over obstacles. I may have touched on the trans cross member and probably the rear shock mount. If you're hitting a lot you're not doing it right. It sounds like you are Squached so you will have enough clearance for those two trails.

Ford Bronco Planning a trip to Moab. Which armor to add next? IMG_2342

Note that if you do Hells Revenge don’t take the exit unless you are prepared for an extremely difficult adventure.

Sponsored

Cygnusx1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cayenne; Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the transmission, rear shock and support bar skids from Asfir. Also the steel stabiilizer bar that provides additional support for the rear skid. Did Moab with that setup in my 2 door badlands sas and everything was fine. I would put the differential skid as last after you have done all of the above. Frankly, your rear shock skids and gas tank skids are what hits the most.

Xjeepowner

Base
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 16 JKU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
I got the JCR transmission skid plate that covers the cross bars, that makes them much stronger and it covers it very well, they are reasonably priced as well.

jzweedyk

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bigger tires and you won't hit.

OP
OP
Ironiguana

Ironiguana

Black Diamond
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I got the JCR transmission skid plate that covers the cross bars, that makes them much stronger and it covers it very well, they are reasonably priced as well.
Unfortunately, it's not compatible with factory skids. That raises price significantly.
Sponsored