Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Planning a trip to Colorado in August. Part of the trip will include the Great Sand Dunes NP. The Modano Pass looks like an interesting off-road trail. Anyone on here have any experience with the trail? Favorite camp sites, trail description, etc. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

RC Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '97 Geo Tracker
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’d monitor TrailsOffroad for updates on the status of the trail

It’s open right now, but there’s a nasty sloppy mudhole that’s been swallowing vehicles up, particularly those going up from the NP side

OP
OP
Ironiguana

Ironiguana

Black Diamond
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’d monitor TrailsOffroad for updates on the status of the trail

It’s open right now, but there’s a nasty sloppy mudhole that’s been swallowing vehicles up, particularly those going up from the NP side
We will also be camping in the San Isabel area East of the trail. Is it better coming from the East side? I could do either.

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Do it. Medano can be a nice escape from the heat.

Camped here some 15 years ago. Below that, sand dunes side, there's designated dispersed spots.
37° 51.3684' N, 105° 25.9672' W

RC Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '97 Geo Tracker
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

We will also be camping in the San Isabel area East of the trail. Is it better coming from the East side? I could do either.
I can’t attest to it personally, but it does sound like it’s better going east to west, at least right now. Hopefully it clears up by the time you’re there so you get to pick either way 🙂

It was still closed when I went through that area about a month ago

I’ll DM you some additional info

Sponsored

ColoradoBadsquatch2044

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250 Lariat 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Medano Pass is a great trail. There are a bunch of water crossings. I’d definitely recommend going east to west. Unless your trip has you going further east into Colorado from there then you’re stuck going west to east. If you haven’t already, I’d download the Trails Offroad App. The paid version is worth its weight and will keep you up to date on trail conditions. Medano Pass has plenty of campsites to choose from. Some allow for the use of an RTT others force you to park on one side of a barrier and then you have to off load your camping gear and walk to the site. I went last year and I highly recommend the trail. It’s very underrated in my opinion. Feel free to DM me with questions.

dcaero

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Awesome trail! Just did it east to west a couple weeks ago. The water crossings are great. And yes there is one nasty muddy section. I had to winch out. I'd think by August that would spot would be pretty well dried up.

Ford Bronco Planning for Modano Pass off-roading/camping Screenshot_2023-06-20-09-41-54-64_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4

We camped north on Hermit Pass. That road is brutal. Super easy but rocky as all heck and just bounces you around. Very few redeeming qualities. But there are a few good dispersed camp sites on it.

Wilbur's son

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Ranger 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The website Bushducks.com is another good resource that lists current Colorado passes and other 4wd road conditions as people report.

Traildamage.com is also a good resource for trail conditions. But it is a paid member subscription service.

Austrim

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model 3
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Nice! I'm going to do this mid October this year. Going East to West!
Sponsored