First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Reads like it is written by a bad AI bot. The $55k starting MSRP is not believable.

Sponsored

ColbyLang

Outer Banks
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Sierra Denali
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I drive a 23 PowerBoost F150, my wife drives the Bronco lol. The same system in the PB150 would rock in the Broncos.

paleh0rse

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco and others
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Eww... ev creep. Gross.

Hard pass on that trash.
While I agree that full EV's are premature garbage at this point, I think PHEV's are actually pretty fantastic - especially if we can tap into all that extra battery power while camping!

Having a few "free" electric miles every day isn't a bad thing when you still have plenty of normal gas to get you wherever you need to go. You can completely ignore the electric aspect of the vehicle during a road trip, as well, so there's no need to deal with the charging station nightmares either.

Unless you live in a building where you can't plug in, PHEV's seem like a win-win IMO.

In fact, my only concern is whether or not my non-engine mods will all directly swap over to the new PHEV in 2025 😁

Sadly, though, this article was just fake AI nonsense... it doesn't contain any new info at all.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jzweedyk

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Fine for a pavement queen. Off road weight is a problem, and it will be hundreds of pounds heavier. Sorry, pass.

paleh0rse

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco and others
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Fine for a pavement queen. Off road weight is a problem, and it will be hundreds of pounds heavier. Sorry, pass.
That just depends on what they might do to improve the payload capacity, as well as the increased power delivery, potential gearing changes, etc.

I don't think the added weight from the batteries is a complete dealbreaker offroad. Most people aren't hitting Moab every week anyway, but that doesn't mean they're "pavement princesses." There's a big gap of owners in between, and that gap is where most of us exist. The PHEV Broncos will likely still kick a lot of ass in that gap. :cool:

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford can't even make a water proof alternator much less battery compartment for a EV offroader,lol.

jzweedyk

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That just depends on what they might do to improve the payload capacity, as well as the increased power delivery, potential gearing changes, etc.

I don't think the added weight from the batteries is a complete dealbreaker offroad. Most people aren't hitting Moab every week anyway, but that doesn't mean they're "pavement princesses." There's a big gap of owners in between, and that gap is where most of us exist. The PHEV Broncos will likely still kick a lot of ass in that gap. :cool:
I don't disagree that it will appeal to some people, and I may have gone too far with "pavement princess", but it will not be a great off road vehicle. Don't get me wrong, an electric buggy would be great off road. 100% torque at 0 RPM is perfect for off road. But a passenger vehicle with all the safety features and modern features would be too heavy. As far as payload capacity the only way they could increase it with the added weight of the battery, would be to go to heavier axles and other components, as well as "truck" tires, all of which would impede off road performance. Even if you only do mud, not rock (like Moab) weight is not your friend. You can take any vehicle off road, but that does not make it a good vehicle for off road.

paleh0rse

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco and others
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't disagree that it will appeal to some people, and I may have gone too far with "pavement princess", but it will not be a great off road vehicle. Don't get me wrong, an electric buggy would be great off road. 100% torque at 0 RPM is perfect for off road. But a passenger vehicle with all the safety features and modern features would be too heavy. As far as payload capacity the only way they could increase it with the added weight of the battery, would be to go to heavier axles and other components, as well as "truck" tires, all of which would impede off road performance. Even if you only do mud, not rock (like Moab) weight is not your friend. You can take any vehicle off road, but that does not make it a good vehicle for off road.
I remember when Jeepers felt the same way about the 4xe. (I was one of them)

But then the reviews started rolling out and we quickly learned that the 4xe still kicks ass off-road.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/4xe-review-by-a-jeep-guy.75771/

For that reason, and given that precedent, I'm very optimistic.
Sponsored

Last edited: