First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BB,BASE
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Nationally renewable energy sources account for 21.5% of electric production. Natural gas accounts for nearly 40% of electric production.

What EV's represent is an incremental reduction in our greenhouse gas emission footprint. Some treat it as a panacea with the "no tailpipe emissions". In reality, EV's will generate about 25% fewer greenhouse gases than a comparable ICE vehicle. The most comprehensive study of EV's have a breakeven on greenhouse gases at around 20,000 miles.

PHEV's for many provide an ideal mix of EV capability for the typical short commute or errands and give the flexibility of ICE capabilities for longer trips.
1690403585291.png
I've not heard many speak about a phev also keeping the hours low on the ice ..thus giving the typical owner who buys it because they don't drive 60 80 or 100 miles a day a much longer lasting ice that mainly gets used on weekends and trips...for many phev owners maybe 80 % of driving will be pure ev so a 10year old ice may only have the usage of a 2 year old non phev....I can see these vehs lasting much longer than typical vehs but maybe after 10 to 15 years the ev component may fail or weaken but then you can just use the ice for years 15 to 25....this seems like the best answer and compromise to me.
Sponsored

LCW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can’t imagine the delays and long lead times that will occur if a hybrid is released. I’m not interested at all but I bet there will be lineups of people just waiting for it.

The Wrangler 4xe is one of the top selling hybrids. Would expect a Bronco to be at least as popular if not much more so.

Pilsner

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, 81 Bronco, 21 BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
While the prospect of increased fuel economy is exciting, the increased cost is not.

I also greatly worry how the hybrid system would react to water crossings...
Not to mention complexity, weight, and repair costs. We do not have the tech ready for this leap. I am not interested and manufacturers need to pump the brakes on these until we get some tech that makes it actually possible. Look at the 4xe, it's a joke.

Pilsner

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, 81 Bronco, 21 BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've not heard many speak about a phev also keeping the hours low on the ice ..thus giving the typical owner who buys it because they don't drive 60 80 or 100 miles a day a much longer lasting ice that mainly gets used on weekends and trips...for many phev owners maybe 80 % of driving will be pure ev so a 10year old ice may only have the usage of a 2 year old non phev....I can see these vehs lasting much longer than typical vehs but maybe after 10 to 15 years the ev component may fail or weaken but then you can just use the ice for years 15 to 25....this seems like the best answer and compromise to me.
Why would you do that? Why not just stick with ICE? We have plenty of oil, we just choose not to drill or mine it.

NatureMan

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm happy to talk about all of it. I love driving my Tesla to Costco and driving past the 60 people waiting in line for gas. I charge my Tesla at home from my solar panels and the grid. Yes. Some power comss from nonrenewables, but it's much easier to "scrub" the emmisions from a few powerplants than millions of ICE engines, and then there's the efficiency loss from all of those engines. Fix the grid. We sent people to the moon 50 years ago and can put a bomb through someone's bedroom window. Fix the grid. It's not that hard. I hate this arrogant ignorance from the right. You're quitters. If there is a problem, help fix it or GTF out of the way. We don't need you. If the US doesn't lead on EVs and renewables, we'll be buying all of this tech from the Chinese and Saudis.
I love responses from tesla owners.

Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm happy to talk about all of it. I love driving my Tesla to Costco and driving past the 60 people waiting in line for gas.

I just came home from the family vaca in TX and in VA I had to stop for gas and thought to myself, looking at the Lightning and the Mach-E still setting there charging after I waited in line, filled my tank, got some snacks, smoked a cig and was ready to pull out. Have fun boys I'm back on the road. :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

NatureMan

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I just came home from the family vaca in TX and in VA I had to stop for gas and thought to myself, looking at the Lightning and the Mach-E still setting there charging after I waited in line, filled my tank, got some snacks, smoked a cig and was ready to pull out. Have fun boys I'm back on the road. :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
You could do yoga and vape next time, and still be faster.

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Fix the grid. It's not that hard. I hate this arrogant ignorance from the right.
Speaking of arrogance and ignorance ... I am reasonably confident you have not the first fucking clue what you're talking about.

But I welcome you to explain what is required to make it easy.

Source:
25 year veteran of the electrical industry currently at a week long training conference where one of the primary discussion topics is exactly that... how wildly under sized our grid is for all the electrification that is currently being legislated.

Everything from the power generating source, to the transformer nearest your house is not properly sized for the loads they intend to force us to connect to it.
The grid that used to sleep at night, might now peak at night when all the chargers and heaters kick in ...and the solar shuts off ....

We will fix it, but it will not be easy ... actually it will be very fucking far from it, far beyond "not hard".
It will be expensive as well.
(To be frank, I'm going to make a metric shit ton of money from it.
I mean A fucking LOT.)

Nor will it be fast. Even today, nobody has the parts needed for much of our work.
Man power-wise, we are SLAMMED just doing our normal work, right now.

Currently, yep, a few Tesla loads here or there, no problem.
But if every house sharing a transformer installed car chargers, electric hot water heaters (ESPECIALLY the tankless on demand versions... HO-LEE-FUK ! do those things draw power!!!) , electric furnaces, electric clothes dryers etc etc etc, we're going to have severe issues.
I have no hesitancy guaranteeing that.

YES, all those gas/coal/wood fired appliances are being legislated away, right now.
All of them.
fireplaces, boilers, stoves/ranges, clothes dryers,
Actually, it's been happening for over a decade now.
(The irony is, we have a shit ton of natural gas available right here within our borders.
Over a 150 year supply by many estimates.)

As a result, many homes are going to need a service upgrade. Especially the older homes and/or mid-sized homes.

The conductors (wires) feeding the houses usually need upsized for the new power and after the houses connected to a shared transformer all upgrade, a bigger transformer will be required to deliver the power, then the conductors feeding the transformers will likely be undersized after only a few new larger transformers are installed ... so all new oversized or paralleled conductors will be required to feed those as well.
They know this is going to happen.
Electrical Engineering 101, it can all be proven through math, through load calculation tables, known demand factors , etc etc.

wash - rinse - repeat for every system involved all the way back to the utility provider.
Every conductor.
Every transformer.
Every sub-station.
Every high-tension line..... all currently undersized for what's to come.

So yeah, saying "it's not that hard" is wildly ignorant. The political slant makes it even worse, it just shows you're a sheeple parroting whatever our unreliable media moguls are squawking.

But luckily, ignorance is curable through education.
Please, educate yourself before making statements like this.
As a matter of fact, we should do this in every aspect of our lives.

It's our civic duty to be informed citizens.

Semper Fi.
Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Speaking of arrogance and ignorance ... I am reasonably confident you have not the first fucking clue what you're talking about.

Source:
25 year veteran of the electrical industry currently at a week long training conference where one of the primary discussion topics is exactly that... how wildly under sized our grid is for all the electrification that is currently being legislated.

Everything from the power generating source, to the transformer nearest your house is not properly sized for the loads they intend to force us to connect to it.
The grid that used to sleep at night, might now peak at night when all the chargers and heaters kick in ...and the solar shuts off ....

We will fix it, but it will not be easy ... actually it will be very fucking far from it, far beyond "not hard".
I mean A fucking LOT.)

Nor will it be fast. Even today, nobody has the parts needed for much of our work.

But if every house sharing a transformer installed car chargers, electric hot water heaters (ESPECIALLY the tankless on demand versions... HO-LEE-FUK ! do those things draw power!!!) , electric furnaces, electric clothes dryers etc etc etc, we're going to have severe issues.

YES, all those gas/coal/wood fired appliances are being legislated away, right now.
All of them.
(The irony is, we have a shit ton of natural gas available right here within our borders.

As a result, many homes are going to need a service upgrade. Especially the older homes and/or mid-sized homes.

The conductors (wires) feeding the houses usually need upsized for the new power and after the houses connected to a shared transformer all upgrade, a bigger transformer will be required to deliver the power, then the conductors feeding the transformers will likely be undersized after only a few new larger transformers are installed ... so all new oversized or paralleled conductors will be required to feed those as well.
Electrical Engineering 101, it can all be proven through math, through load calculation tables, known demand factors , etc etc.

wash - rinse - repeat for every system involved all the way back to the utility provider.
Every conductor.
Every transformer.
Every sub-station.

So yeah, saying "it's not that hard" is wildly ignorant. The political slant makes it even worse, it just shows you're a sheeple parroting whatever our unreliable media moguls are squawking.

Semper Fi.
Thanks for reading.
Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

NatureMan

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Source:

I mean A fucking LOT.)

All of them.

Every conductor.
Every transformer.
Every sub-station.

Semper Fi.
Thanks for reading.
Ditto.
Sponsored