Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, 66 Honda CT90, ā€˜94 Toyota Xtra cab
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I love these threads, they bring the ā€œexpertsā€ out of the woodwork to spout off all these ā€œabsoluteā€ facts about the horrors of battery production and why we will never run out of oil in the groundā€¦probably info dredged up from some posts by a redit user whose self professed expertise in any subject is off the charts.

There is a whole lot more at stake with trying to find ICE alternatives than the ā€œrunning out of crude oilā€scenario. I hope Ford jumps in with both feet on a hybrid Bronco. I rented a 4xe and it was fantastic. Iā€™d buy a hybrid bronco for sure

NatureMan

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I love these threads, they bring the ā€œexpertsā€ out of the woodwork to spout off all these ā€œabsoluteā€ facts about the horrors of battery production and why we will never run out of oil in the groundā€¦probably info dredged up from some posts by a redit user whose self professed expertise in any subject is off the charts.

There is a whole lot more at stake with trying to find ICE alternatives than the ā€œrunning out of crude oilā€scenario. I hope Ford jumps in with both feet on a hybrid Bronco. I rented a 4xe and it was fantastic. Iā€™d buy a hybrid bronco for sure
Ford jumped into EV naked, then ran away when others laughed and still took 9 billion.

tock13

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, 66 Honda CT90, ā€˜94 Toyota Xtra cab
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ford jumped into EV naked, then ran away when others laughed and still took 9 billion.

I hear you there! That 9 billion ought to hold them accountable for something other than Farley and the other minion execs getting richer!!! šŸ˜

BeachfrontBronco

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 XLT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I love responses from tesla owners.
[/QUO
I love responses from tesla owners.
:
Iā€™m also a Bronco owner, as of yesterday. I almost went for the Jeep 4XE, but comfort and safety (7 airbags) of the Bronco won out. My late father was a pipe fitter at the Sandusky, OH parts plant for 27 years and Iā€™ve owned a ā€˜71 Maverick, 3 Rangers and my 2011 F-150. So, I guess Iā€™m a Ford guy.
If Ford builds a hybrid Bronco, Iā€™ll be first in line for oneā€¦unless there is a Gladiator 4XE. That will be a tough choice. Iā€™ll see how I do without a truck in my life. The F-150 already has a buyer.

Donā€™t knock the Tesla until you drive one. There are some things I donā€™t like (lack of physical buttons for climate control), but itā€™s a joy to drive. Itā€™s fast as hell. Thereā€™s no transmission, so perfectly smooth acceleration. I can ā€œfill upā€ at home and the superchargers make charging very easy. Itā€™s just going to get easier. Oh and no oil changes, no hoses, no belts, no starter battery, no valve deposits, no trans fluid, no diff fluid, etc

I have to say I feel pretty guilty driving my 2.7L Bronco, but man it gets up and goes. I got Velocity Blue and may well get some racing stripes on the hood. Why not? Iā€™m 52 and Itā€™s the last ICE I plan to buy. Go for broke. Speaking of broke. I think the loan was 8.9%. LOL Gotta start hammering that down.

Sponsored

BeachfrontBronco

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 XLT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Speaking of arrogance and ignorance ... I am reasonably confident you have not the first fucking clue what you're talking about.

But I welcome you to explain what is required to make it easy.

Source:
25 year veteran of the electrical industry currently at a week long training conference where one of the primary discussion topics is exactly that... how wildly under sized our grid is for all the electrification that is currently being legislated.

Everything from the power generating source, to the transformer nearest your house is not properly sized for the loads they intend to force us to connect to it.
The grid that used to sleep at night, might now peak at night when all the chargers and heaters kick in ...and the solar shuts off ....

We will fix it, but it will not be easy ... actually it will be very fucking far from it, far beyond "not hard".
It will be expensive as well.
(To be frank, I'm going to make a metric shit ton of money from it.
I mean A fucking LOT.)

Nor will it be fast. Even today, nobody has the parts needed for much of our work.
Man power-wise, we are SLAMMED just doing our normal work, right now.

Currently, yep, a few Tesla loads here or there, no problem.
But if every house sharing a transformer installed car chargers, electric hot water heaters (ESPECIALLY the tankless on demand versions... HO-LEE-FUK ! do those things draw power!!!) , electric furnaces, electric clothes dryers etc etc etc, we're going to have severe issues.
I have no hesitancy guaranteeing that.

YES, all those gas/coal/wood fired appliances are being legislated away, right now.
All of them.
fireplaces, boilers, stoves/ranges, clothes dryers,
Actually, it's been happening for over a decade now.
(The irony is, we have a shit ton of natural gas available right here within our borders.
Over a 150 year supply by many estimates.)

As a result, many homes are going to need a service upgrade. Especially the older homes and/or mid-sized homes.

The conductors (wires) feeding the houses usually need upsized for the new power and after the houses connected to a shared transformer all upgrade, a bigger transformer will be required to deliver the power, then the conductors feeding the transformers will likely be undersized after only a few new larger transformers are installed ... so all new oversized or paralleled conductors will be required to feed those as well.
They know this is going to happen.
Electrical Engineering 101, it can all be proven through math, through load calculation tables, known demand factors , etc etc.

wash - rinse - repeat for every system involved all the way back to the utility provider.
Every conductor.
Every transformer.
Every sub-station.
Every high-tension line..... all currently undersized for what's to come.

So yeah, saying "it's not that hard" is wildly ignorant. The political slant makes it even worse, it just shows you're a sheeple parroting whatever our unreliable media moguls are squawking.

But luckily, ignorance is curable through education.
Please, educate yourself before making statements like this.
As a matter of fact, we should do this in every aspect of our lives.

It's our civic duty to be informed citizens.

Semper Fi.
Thanks for reading.
I don't want to clog up the hybrid thread with grid talk, but I do want to say thanks for the lengthy response, HoosierDaddy.

I can appreciate that it's a huge effort, but is it hard? Do you understand what I'm saying?
Is it hard like building a fusion reactor or quantum computer?
Is it harder than restoring the Gulf of Mexico after the Deep Water Horizon dumped 3.19 million barrels of oil (NOAA numbers) from 5,000 below the surface?

Your own description of the effort sounds like scaling up existing tech.
Obviously there will be innovation along the way.
Maybe we move from a centralized generation model to a distributed generation model?
Was that discussed in your training?
A distributed model would allow power to be consumed near the source and be more resistant to natural and terrorist threats (attention patriots).

The first transatlantic cable was run in the mid 1800's. We have pipelines that span continents.
Consider all of the infrastructure required to drill, refine and transport oil/gas.
We can't do that with the grid? Why is the grid in such a neglected state?

I hope you do make a ton of money building out the grid.
Exxon-Mobile made $56 billion in profit in 2022. I hope you take some of that going forward.

BroncoLV

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands, 88.5 Suzuki Samurai
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would 100% welcome a powerboost bronco.
I traded in my 2021 F-150 Powerboost for my Bronco and I would definately welcome a powerboost Bronco. The F-150 had tons of power and got great gas mileage and not to mention it powered my house for 3 days while I had no power during winter. I don't really care for a PHEV though.

Snakk Attakk

Big Bend
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
EV's make sense, but hybrids are a complicated, heavy, expensive transitional technology.

Reactions: Fly

Soundgarden

Badlands
First Name
The Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands-Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Iā€™m surprised this info hasnā€™t leaked yet but Im friends with a corporate Ford guy and when I brought up the 2.3 hybrid rumour, he corrected me and said there would be a more exiting option, the V6TT 3.0 hydrid ecoboost like in the Lincoln.
So over 490hp and 690lbft.
Im definitely getting a new Badlands at that point. Mineā€™s getting rough šŸ˜…

Sponsored

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Iā€™m surprised this info hasnā€™t leaked yet but Im friends with a corporate Ford guy and when I brought up the 2.3 hybrid rumour, he corrected me and said there would be a more exiting option, the V6TT 3.0 hydrid ecoboost like in the Lincoln.
So over 490hp and 690lbft.
Im definitely getting a new Badlands at that point. Mineā€™s getting rough šŸ˜…
But you'll only most likely be able to get it in the Raptor.

The 2.3L hybrid makes a really good business choice to replace the the 2.7L V6, since the power levels are very similar with better MPGs and the abitily to power your house

Soundgarden

Badlands
First Name
The Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands-Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
But you'll only most likely be able to get it in the Raptor.

The 2.3L hybrid makes a really good business choice to replace the the 2.7L V6, since the power levels are very similar with better MPGs and the abitily to power your house
It would be surprising to bring a new model way faster than the Raptor.

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
EV's make sense, but hybrids are a complicated, heavy, expensive transitional technology.
I like the simplicity of EV rather than complication of both electric and gasoline systems in a vehicle. I'd buy an economy "around town" EV for sure, once the cost gets low enough. My current gasoline economy car gets a lot of use in my household. I feel at this time, economy commuter type cars are the EV forte, not so much for a vehicle like the Bronco.

BHShaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Our Ford Energi has been perfect.
Even 20mi as EV in a PHEV means riding a full size for daily task with zero Petrol (work from home). And Gas-Hybrid option for longer trips or off-roading. Yes Please.
Sponsored