Sponsored

POLL: Is your soft top fraying? My experience on what should be a warranty issue, BEWARE the Soft Top...

Is Your Soft Top Fraying on the Edges?

• Total voters

Cousin Eddie

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A while ago I noticed my soft top was starting to fray on the edge near the middle of the rear door. It was more pronounced on the driver's side than the passenger's side but it was fraying on both sides. I posted about it here hoping to get some feedback on have occurred. I didn't see many responses other than "yeah, mine is doing that too."

I reached out directly to the @Ford Motor Company account. After some initial conversation, the rep informed me they would have someone reach out to me. After a few weeks of silence I reached out again and they told me to go to the dealer. I went to the dealer and showed them the issue. I told them I would expect this issue is a warranty issue and should be covered by Ford. The dealer told me they haven't seen Ford authorize warranty coverage on the soft top roof fraying issue and would not cover it without prior authorization from Ford. They did however hear from Ford there was an issue with people "improperly opening" the soft top which was causing the wear.

The dealer than had me drop the top to the second position so he could show me where is wore. Unfortunately he could not point to what exactly was causing the wear. He did point to a bar that was in the vicinity of the wearing but it was to far away to cause the damage.

I have asked the dealer and Ford multiple times to provide me with documentation of what the proper method to open the roof is. To this day I have received nothing. The Bronco manual both printed (Downloaded version - 2021 Bronco (TG1) Canada/United States of America, enUSA, Edition date: 202101, First-Printing) and latest online version say nothing about making sure the roof is opened properly to avoid fraying.

I then called Ford directly. After being directed to 3 different departments, I finally reached someone who would talk with me about the issue. I explained the dealer would not do anything without prior authorization from Ford. The Ford rep told me the dealer would need to submit a repair order. So, back to the dealer. The dealer generated a repair order and gave me the number.

After 3 more weeks without a response, I called Ford again. The Ford rep could not find the info in their system but took my info and the repair order number and told me she would get back to me.I will honestly say this lady seemed like she cared and was trying to help me out, hat's off to her.

Today she called me to inform me that Ford would not be providing "financial assistance" for this issue.

I'm considering my next steps. One is to reach out to the PA Bureau of Consumer Protection. I'll keep you posted.

Ford Bronco POLL: Is your soft top fraying?  My experience on what should be a warranty issue, BEWARE the Soft Top... 1679351071028

Ford Bronco POLL: Is your soft top fraying?  My experience on what should be a warranty issue, BEWARE the Soft Top... 1679351096243

Ford Bronco POLL: Is your soft top fraying?  My experience on what should be a warranty issue, BEWARE the Soft Top... 1679351117598

Ford Bronco POLL: Is your soft top fraying?  My experience on what should be a warranty issue, BEWARE the Soft Top... 1679351142267
Sponsored

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
A while ago I noticed my soft top was starting to fray on the edge near the middle of the rear door. It was more pronounced on the driver's side than the passenger's side but it was fraying on both sides. I posted about it here hoping to get some feedback on have occurred. I didn't see many responses other than "yeah, mine is doing that too."

I reached out directly to the @Ford Motor Company account. After some initial conversation, the rep informed me they would have someone reach out to me. After a few weeks of silence I reached out again and they told me to go to the dealer. I went to the dealer and showed them the issue. I told them I would expect this issue is a warranty issue and should be covered by Ford. The dealer told me they haven't seen Ford authorize warranty coverage on the soft top roof fraying issue and would not cover it without prior authorization from Ford. They did however hear from Ford there was an issue with people "improperly opening" the soft top which was causing the wear.

The dealer than had me drop the top to the second position so he could show me where is wore. Unfortunately he could not point to what exactly was causing the wear. He did point to a bar that was in the vicinity of the wearing but it was to far away to cause the damage.

I have asked the dealer and Ford multiple times to provide me with documentation of what the proper method to open the roof is. To this day I have received nothing. The Bronco manual both printed (Downloaded version - 2021 Bronco (TG1) Canada/United States of America, enUSA, Edition date: 202101, First-Printing) and latest online version say nothing about making sure the roof is opened properly to avoid fraying.

I then called Ford directly. After being directed to 3 different departments, I finally reached someone who would talk with me about the issue. I explained the dealer would not do anything without prior authorization from Ford. The Ford rep told me the dealer would need to submit a repair order. So, back to the dealer. The dealer generated a repair order and gave me the number.

After 3 more weeks without a response, I called Ford again. The Ford rep could not find the info in their system but took my info and the repair order number and told me she would get back to me.I will honestly say this lady seemed like she cared and was trying to help me out, hat's off to her.

Today she called me to inform me that Ford would not be providing "financial assistance" for this issue.

I'm considering my next steps. One is to reach out to the PA Bureau of Consumer Protection. I'll keep you posted.

1679351071028.png

1679351096243.png

1679351117598.png

1679351142267.png
Your top should not be folded like that. When you fold the top back, there should be a gentle S shaped curve that sits outboard of those metal edges.

It's probably too late for your top, since it's already damaged, but if anyone notices your top fabric creased and kinked like that, you need to "train" the top to be in the right position, and eventually it will fold up properly on its own every time.

When I get a chance, I'll post a picture of mine to show you how it looks [see below], or in the meantime someone else may post up who knows what I mean. This subject has definitely come up before…

Last edited:

omg_bbq

Black Diamond
First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 EG BD SAS
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Your top should not be folded like that. When you fold the top back, there should be a gentle S shaped curve that sits outboard of those metal edges.

it's probably too late for your top, since it's already damaged, but if anyone notices your top fabric creased and kinked like that, you need to "train" the top to be in the right position, and eventually it will fold up properly on its own every time.

When I get a chance, I'll post a picture of mine to show you how it looks, or in the meantime someone else may post up who knows what I mean. This subject has definitely come up before…
Immediately was going to say this too when I saw the first image.

No fault of your own OP, the top naturally falls into that shape where it can get damaged and Ford didn't put out an APB or anything about it.

OP
OP
Cousin Eddie

Cousin Eddie

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's probably too late for your top, since it's already damaged, but if anyone notices your top fabric creased and kinked like that, you need to "train" the top to be in the right position, and eventually it will fold up properly on its own every time.

When I get a chance, I'll post a picture of mine to show you how it looks, or in the meantime someone else may post up who knows what I mean. This subject has definitely come up before…
I'm looking forward to seeing how it should properly fold. As I said, no one at the dealership was able to.

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Okay, here you go. See how that sharp-edged bracket is nowhere near the fabric. You can probably still train your top to do this and prevent more damage. You just have to make sure it looks like this every time you fold the top back, and eventually it should fold this way automatically…

Ford Bronco POLL: Is your soft top fraying?  My experience on what should be a warranty issue, BEWARE the Soft Top... 816831BB-D5A2-4BF7-8174-F6941C7DF49C
Ford Bronco POLL: Is your soft top fraying?  My experience on what should be a warranty issue, BEWARE the Soft Top... 0014DE2E-B3DD-4876-B913-80F1A9374D1D
Ford Bronco POLL: Is your soft top fraying?  My experience on what should be a warranty issue, BEWARE the Soft Top... 370BD646-6CC1-473A-97BF-7012ED8D8411

Sponsored

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
My Bronco/top is one year old and has no evidence of fraying like this. I have never folded it more than the sunrider position as this is 70% open air and only takes a few seconds. Something definetely looks amiss the way it is folded in the pics. FYI, the fabric alone is not super expensive, around $600 list price. But this should not happen.

NoleDawg

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I discovered the fraying very early on in that same spot. I’ve continued to try to “train” it to bend/fold where it won’t rub but it always goes to the way it rubs unless I position it the right way as I open 100% of the time. I don’t believe it will ever train.

WhiteTrash

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My rear window popped apart this weekend. Seems these 1mm plastic links came apart.

Ford Bronco POLL: Is your soft top fraying?  My experience on what should be a warranty issue, BEWARE the Soft Top... EC3F002E-56DC-42F3-9C33-0203B5F42D45

EKOBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

1679351071028.png

1679351096243.png

1679351117598.png

1679351142267.png
Mine frayed like that and I had it replaced under warranty, because it is a design flaw. One side folded fine, the other didn’t and the top rubs on the plastic “finger guard” and frays. I’d be concerned that even if you “train” the top it would blow enough when flipped back that it would tear again. So, I ended up removing the plastic guards (drilled rivets out) and now it works great.

Bosshog_tundra

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base

Ford Bronco POLL: Is your soft top fraying?  My experience on what should be a warranty issue, BEWARE the Soft Top... EC3F002E-56DC-42F3-9C33-0203B5F42D45

This should be cover under warranty mine is in the shop for the exact same thing my dealer took one look at it and said not a problem ordered the parts . I dropped it off last night and its at the upholstery shop this morning to be done today dealership also gave me a loner vehicle (a new f150) not even 2000miles on it so find you a new dealer ship that will take care of you

Sponsored
OP
OP
Cousin Eddie

Cousin Eddie

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Okay, here you go. See how that sharp-edged bracket is nowhere near the fabric. You can probably still train your top to do this and prevent more damage. You just have to make sure it looks like this every time you fold the top back, and eventually it should fold this way automatically…

My Bronco/top is one year old and has no evidence of fraying like this. I have never folded it more than the sunrider position as this is 70% open air and only takes a few seconds. Something definetely looks amiss the way it is folded in the pics. FYI, the fabric alone is not super expensive, around $600 list price. But this should not happen.
I discovered the fraying very early on in that same spot. I’ve continued to try to “train” it to bend/fold where it won’t rub but it always goes to the way it rubs unless I position it the right way as I open 100% of the time. I don’t believe it will ever train.
Mine frayed like that and I had it replaced under warranty, because it is a design flaw. One side folded fine, the other didn’t and the top rubs on the plastic “finger guard” and frays. I’d be concerned that even if you “train” the top it would blow enough when flipped back that it would tear again. So, I ended up removing the plastic guards (drilled rivets out) and now it works great.
This should be cover under warranty mine is in the shop for the exact same thing my dealer took one look at it and said not a problem ordered the parts . I dropped it off last night and its at the upholstery shop this morning to be done today dealership also gave me a loner vehicle (a new f150) not even 2000miles on it so find you a new dealer ship that will take care of you
Thanks to everyone for their input and experiences. As I said above, my dealer left it to Ford on whether it should be covered under warranty. I'm disappointed that Ford had a design flaw with the folding or at a minimum did not provide instruction as to how the roof should be folded to prevent damage. I am happy to see some of you had dealers that would cover the damage.

The damage is happening when going to the sunrider position. the metal of the roof mechanism is sharp enough to fray the fabric as if a knife was being rubbed against it.

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Not trying to beat a dead horse/ thread here, but since I'm going through this situation and finding this popping up in my search results, I wanted to let others know Ford has a technical service bulletin for this exact issue, and declares it to be something covered by new vehicle warranty. TSB 23-2229.

If anyone else has a dealer push back on them, I'd direct them to read Ford's own wording. TSB procedure involves both installing updated deflectors and replacing the soft top cover.

Ford Bronco POLL: Is your soft top fraying?  My experience on what should be a warranty issue, BEWARE the Soft Top... 1698174694163

Reactions: GAN

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Just received mine back from having the TSB work performed. Pleasantly surprised with how easy this process was - dealer verified fraying, ordered parts, and was ready to perform the work three days later.

Added bonus - the replacement top is the updated design rolled out in MY23, which has the "drip rail" and, frankly, sits and looks better on the Bronco. I'll take a full 3/4 view shot tomorrow to provide a before/ after.

Ford Bronco POLL: Is your soft top fraying?  My experience on what should be a warranty issue, BEWARE the Soft Top... 1699667410895

Badlux

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81 Scrambler , CJ-8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yep , I just got mine replaced and I also got the drip rail. I agree the new version sits straighter and looks better. Note, they only replace the fabric, no new windows. My dealer gave me a rental , and it ended up taking them 3 days.

FilmcoBronci

Black Diamond
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 6G
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ford Bronco POLL: Is your soft top fraying?  My experience on what should be a warranty issue, BEWARE the Soft Top... 1699667410895
MY ‘21 delivered mid December 2021.
I can attest there was no info nor directive on training a top. I understand the concept but it was a wasteland of info. When we took delivery, some folks at the dealership were learning how to install and adjust as they installed and adjusted ours.

I stand with the OP on this. We all know the top design is marginal. I love how fast it gets naked but this issue deserves @Ford attention.
Sponsored

Reactions: GAN