De Brus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 HD 1200, '66 IH, '62 VW
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I wouldn't call that a fray, it's definitely a snag of some sort. Whether or not op caused it, I dunno, it could have happened at the factory. Check your shit extremely thoroughly at delivery, people!
Sponsored

guerro

Banned
Raptor
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I don't think so, only road driving so far. Definitely a possibility though. Tops been rolled back unless it rains.
May want to investigate where the top lays when rolled back and the range of movement when driving. It may be bouncing down and hitting something?

Lagrange 6g

Black Diamond
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 f250 2014 landcruiser 1978 cj5
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Wanted to share something I noticed yesterday too see if others are seeing it and if there are any causes or solutions. The front driver side of the soft top has a small fray starting. It started 5 days after getting the bronco. The fray is at the terminal end of the support frame. The support frame does not feel or appear sharp. Thoughts?

2021 bronco base 4dr
20210728_065636.jpg

20210728_065636.jpg
Is your roll cage paint rubbing off like others have noticed?

Bronc-itis

Base
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50 (bronco soon)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Iā€™d hit that with a lighter first to melt down that material sticking out. That should keep it from getting worse. A dab of gorilla glue on top of that should protect it. It is still be pissed off.

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Christ Iā€™m thinking about staying away for awhile everyone I hop on hear thereā€™s a new bronco issue wtf
its a FIRST year model .... Of course there's gonna be issues

Sponsored

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

its a FIRST year model .... Of course there's gonna be issues
All the time they had to get this thing correct me and many others are tired of the well itā€™s a first year vehicle excuses

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

All the time they had to get this thing correct me and many others are tired of the well itā€™s a first year vehicle excuses
Its not an excuse .... all the planning in the world will still bring about unforeseen issues on such a complex machine .... nvm the QC that's involved with vendors on a 1st year model

R11

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.basequatch.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base Sasquatch 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Iā€™d hit that with a lighter first to melt down that material sticking out. That should keep it from getting worse. A dab of gorilla glue on top of that should protect it. It is still be pissed off.
nl0iv4xubdzpg9jn8fjq9e9fenm1xq7vssvfot8v&rid=giphy.gif

OP
OP

Banshee

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Is your roll cage paint rubbing off like others have noticed?
It is on the driver side where the top gets operated from. It seems to be from taking the soft top from 'rolled back' to fully down, and vice versa. Could be avoided by lowering the top cautiously or with two people. I saw another post saying to lay felt tape on the area.

The fray could be from a 'snag' but didn't take her off road until today. The place that it is occurring makes me think it is a fray from the inside out due to the frame. I did get a contact for Ford and I will be sending in more pictures and description so that they are aware and can track the issue. Maybe they'll see a trend, maybe it is just a snag.

Addressing the comments on issues: this is a trail crushing, smooth highway driving, rugged machine with fabric for a roof. The high amount of engineering that went into the design are apparent throughout the vehicle. However, just like a Jeep, these types of rugged, multi purpose vehicles will always have issues, no matter the model year. Owners of Broncos should moderate their expectations more in line with that reality... I didn't buy a Lincoln. This thing is an absolute savage off-road!
Ford Bronco Soft top fraying 20210729_154751

Last edited:

Ricky_gibbs

Base
First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini countryman
Your Bronco Model
Base
I don't think so, only road driving so far. Definitely a possibility though. Tops been rolled back unless it rains.
It almost looks like a cat got to it. I could be wrong. If that's the case then it's going to happen again

Sponsored

EMoo22

Outer Banks
First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My immediate concern was that the support frame was rubbing through the fabric. Doesn't appear to be the case but hard to tell. I'll keep my eye on it and update. Wanted to inform other soft toppers and develop a quick solution for people to use. Getting a bottle of gorilla glue tonight.

Dave-O

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150/Mach-E
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Good thing you didnā€™t buy a Lincoln. Those things have the worst reliability ratings šŸ¤£

RWBigBend21

Big Bend
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline RTL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Christ Iā€™m thinking about staying away for awhile everyone I hop on hear thereā€™s a new bronco issue wtf
There's another thread somewhere (Ha- No Pun intended) Seriously, a discussion thread where someone else has this same problem I have now with my Soft Top, fabric is failing. I thinking this is the spot where it folds back to the first open position

Soft top fray.jpg

EKOBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The top corner? Looks normal to me.
When opening/closing the top look at anything that could be hitting that section at an point of the movement.

I have a similar fraying spot about halfway down the-passengerā€™s side of the top.

Ford Bronco Soft top fraying 1652300567958

Ford Bronco Soft top fraying 1652300591869

After some thinking about what I may have hit to gray the top, I took it through the process of putting the top down. When I had it flipped back I noticed something different between how/where the top folded on the passengerā€™s side versus the drivers side:

Passenger:
Ford Bronco Soft top fraying 1652300716072

Driver:

Ford Bronco Soft top fraying 1652300759519

On the r passenger side the top is rubbing on the plastic piece that warns you not to pitch your finger and has, clearly started tearing the top. It looks like you might be able to remove the plastic piece, but I want to leave it as is until I talk with Ford and show them the issue.
Ford Bronco Soft top fraying 1652300882299

Iā€™m guessing your top might be rubbing some other random part of the rig and creating a similar issue.
Sponsored