Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Its been a minute since I've posted anything regarding our Bronco build, and in light of recent events I feel now is an appropriate time for an update.

Right before Christmas we received the first set of portals from 74Weld and got right on the install. We did things a little different than everyone else running portals and re-geared the Bronco M210 and M220 axles to 4.10, to give us a final drive of 5.0 which I feel is a solid fit for the 38" Trail Grapplers we are running. We paired those with +25 offset Raceline and with the ADV 2" glass, I can say its pretty perfect for me.

We changed the wheel studs out to better match the thickness of the Raceline's but other than that, everything went smooth. We've had some seal issues with dirt getting in between the axle shaft and seal (yes we offroad it so things like this happen) but they guys at 74Weld were quick to come up with a solution that should be here soon. Other than that, these portals have been absolutely perfect. In March I managed to log over 1200 miles of intense off-roading in Baja without any issue. One of the things I changed going to the portals was switching to the Hoss3 shocks which I have to admit, impressed me in Baja. I'll admit I didn't think they would be able to keep up down there, but they were pretty damn good. Still think an "active valve" shock would be best, but didn't want to lift the Bronco bay with this initial setup.

One of the other mods we made was the Rock Krawler Pro-X triangulation kit in the rear. I can't say enough good things about this setup. It eliminated so much sway in the back end of the vehicle, and I really feel you guys will benefit from this upgrade. If you do then I highly recommend you get a rear sway bar, if yours doesnt have one. I noticed a couple of times in Baja when we were on paved roads that the rear would start swaying and traction control would kick in. Not a fun experience when you're doing 90mph and not expecting it. So, for sure look into this but know you will want to add a sway bar. I imagine that the track bar was imposing just enough bind that it was preventing this from happening before. Oh, and when it would kick in the alert on the cluster would say "trailer sway detected" lol. That was a new one for me.

All in all, the Bronco continues to impress me. The addition of the portals only makes it better in my opinion and I'm still blown away with how much more capable it is with them. To think that you can basically take a stock Bronco, bolt these on, and then run 38's across 1200 miles of some of the most amazing terrain we have access to and have no issues whatsoever. Thats hard to beat. Please feel free to ask questions about any of this. I do have pics and video from Baja but I'm waiting on the commercial use to get cleared by the media crew before I can share them.

Oh and I know this doesn't have to be said but I'll say it: ZERO noise is coming from these straight cut gears.

Cheers!

brr rayo day 4-218.JPG
Its been a minute since I've posted anything regarding our Bronco build, and in light of recent events I feel now is an appropriate time for an update.

Right before Christmas we received the first set of portals from 74Weld and got right on the install. We did things a little different than everyone else running portals and re-geared the Bronco M210 and M220 axles to 4.10, to give us a final drive of 5.0 which I feel is a solid fit for the 38" Trail Grapplers we are running. We paired those with +25 offset Raceline and with the ADV 2" glass, I can say its pretty perfect for me.

We changed the wheel studs out to better match the thickness of the Raceline's but other than that, everything went smooth. We've had some seal issues with dirt getting in between the axle shaft and seal (yes we offroad it so things like this happen) but they guys at 74Weld were quick to come up with a solution that should be here soon. Other than that, these portals have been absolutely perfect. In March I managed to log over 1200 miles of intense off-roading in Baja without any issue. One of the things I changed going to the portals was switching to the Hoss3 shocks which I have to admit, impressed me in Baja. I'll admit I didn't think they would be able to keep up down there, but they were pretty damn good. Still think an "active valve" shock would be best, but didn't want to lift the Bronco bay with this initial setup.

One of the other mods we made was the Rock Krawler Pro-X triangulation kit in the rear. I can't say enough good things about this setup. It eliminated so much sway in the back end of the vehicle, and I really feel you guys will benefit from this upgrade. If you do then I highly recommend you get a rear sway bar, if yours doesnt have one. I noticed a couple of times in Baja when we were on paved roads that the rear would start swaying and traction control would kick in. Not a fun experience when you're doing 90mph and not expecting it. So, for sure look into this but know you will want to add a sway bar. I imagine that the track bar was imposing just enough bind that it was preventing this from happening before. Oh, and when it would kick in the alert on the cluster would say "trailer sway detected" lol. That was a new one for me.

All in all, the Bronco continues to impress me. The addition of the portals only makes it better in my opinion and I'm still blown away with how much more capable it is with them. To think that you can basically take a stock Bronco, bolt these on, and then run 38's across 1200 miles of some of the most amazing terrain we have access to and have no issues whatsoever. Thats hard to beat. Please feel free to ask questions about any of this. I do have pics and video from Baja but I'm waiting on the commercial use to get cleared by the media crew before I can share them.

Oh and I know this doesn't have to be said but I'll say it: ZERO noise is coming from these straight cut gears.

Cheers!

brr rayo day 4-218.JPG
I I have installed the pro x and like u it is an amazing upgrade. What sway bar did u go with and how did it mount? Been looking around for something but haven’t found anything yet. Thanks.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Exodus4x4

Exodus4x4

Big Bend
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Bubba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I I have installed the pro x and like u it is an amazing upgrade. What sway bar did u go with and how did it mount? Been looking around for something but haven’t found anything yet. Thanks.
RockJock supposedly has one on the way to market and when it’s ready, I’ll try it out. It honestly has never been an issue on flat paved roads, only the uneven paved roads in Baja.

OP
OP
Exodus4x4

Exodus4x4

Big Bend
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Bubba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
What wheel studs did you use? I would like to change to some longer ones as well!
I used some Dorman studs but didn’t increase the stud size. I believe there will be a change to portals soon and that will move them to a 14mm stud, but not sure.

Mark Borgmann

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

RockJock supposedly has one on the way to market and when it’s ready, I’ll try it out. It honestly has never been an issue on flat paved roads, only the uneven paved roads in Baja.
i haven't had any issues on the highway or trails but the instructions do say to add one is why i asked. I'm not on portals but i'm running on a 6 inch lift with 38 ridge grapplers also. thanks and i'll keep following for more information

Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I used some Dorman studs but didn’t increase the stud size. I believe there will be a change to portals soon and that will move them to a 14mm stud, but not sure.
thats perfect! got a part #?

OP
OP
Exodus4x4

Exodus4x4

Big Bend
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Bubba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
thats perfect! got a part #?
I don’t have it handy. Pretty sure I snagged them off Amazon because I was in a hurry lol

DYak

Big Bend
First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Big Bend Baby
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Does your Bronco have a rear swaybar from factory?

I have seen a two door that did not have a rear swaybar and have been wondering which models get them and which don't.

OP
OP
Exodus4x4

Exodus4x4

Big Bend
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Bubba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Does your Bronco have a rear swaybar from factory?

I have seen a two door that did not have a rear swaybar and have been wondering which models get them and which don't.
No mine never came with it, and I’ve never taken the time to figure out what their logic was when determining which one got them and which ones didn’t

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hot dang.

Interesting choice on the regear. I think I would have kept it all, or maybe swapped someone for a 4.46 set. If I recall you have a 2.3, which loves deep gears.

Sponsored

daveness

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4dr Badsquatch, 2018 Sprinter 4x4, 1903 Cad
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Don’t want to spark a portal comparison debate here, but am interested in your thoughts about how much lift you got. What does 74Weld give you? 3-4”, I can’t remember. The 38’s give you 1.5-2”. But what I’m asking is you feel this is plenty or good enough as opposed to the 5+” the other guy gives. Did you install the portals yourself? I wouldn’t think it’s too hard is it.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Don’t want to spark a portal comparison debate here, but am interested in your thoughts about how much lift you got. What does 74Weld give you? 3-4”, I can’t remember. The 38’s give you 1.5-2”. But what I’m asking is you feel this is plenty or good enough as opposed to the 5+” the other guy gives. Did you install the portals yourself? I wouldn’t think it’s too hard is it.
4" from portals and 2" from coil overs and running on 40s...

this is next to a raptor on 37s.

Ford Bronco Portals and Pro-X update bronco vs raptor cro

I think it is plenty... and to be honest I would not want to go any higher.... I am okay off camber but keep going up and I would start having issues.

daveness

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4dr Badsquatch, 2018 Sprinter 4x4, 1903 Cad
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
4" from portals and 2" from coil overs and running on 40s...

this is next to a raptor on 37s.

Ford Bronco Portals and Pro-X update bronco vs raptor cro

I think it is plenty... and to be honest I would not want to go any higher.... I am okay off camber but keep going up and I would start having issues.
Thanks. Good comparison photo

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Thanks. Good comparison photo
At least it gives you an idea.... To be honest I did not go to coil overs for the lift. I went with the coil overs for the ride. And the ride is dramatically improved over the HOSS 2... I have the Coil overs set to the lowest lift possible.

Defyfate11

First Edition
First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camry TRD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
You’re dead on.
I would like to convert to the Pro-X 4 link, I do not have a factory sway bar, I don't really see any options (Rock Jock with a potential future). From what I am understanding than the Bronco with this mod would be more susceptible to roll overs? So how does a rear sway bar address the low roll center? Does it fully correct it?
Sponsored