Sponsored

Tibus Portals, you probably want to be very careful on the installation.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Any portal for that matter but the helical gearing and required bearing set do complicate the matter.

Sponsored

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Without trying to speak on which portal is better then the other. I will say I watched an entire install of the Bronco Tibus portals and a lot of what this guy is talking about didn’t seem to be a thing for the new Tibus portals. In fact, it all seemed very easy and quick, everything was very well designed and fit together without any crazy pressing except for an axle fitting. @Snacktime was there too and has more experience in these matters so I’d like to hear what he has to say.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The issues in that video do not exist on the current design. Tone rings are pressed on with no alignment pins. The bracket that caused the damage is now adjustable. Wasn't bolted up in my picture.
Ford Bronco Tibus Portals, you probably want to be very careful on the installation. PXL_20230901_165608364

The other big item was the bolts went through the portal making it very hard to install, now they thread in from the back. I would personally like to see a threaded insert but that is my engineering background.
Ford Bronco Tibus Portals, you probably want to be very careful on the installation. PXL_20230901_164626382

I think just about anyone could install these if you can use a torque wrench. Now changing the bearings I would relate more to setting up a ring and pinion. The skill to pull steel bearings out of a aluminum housing is a challenge.

I do not see any big red flags with the design. Getting parts could be an issue, but don't really see anyone trying to fix a portal. If you kill a gear/bearing you might as well just order another portal assembly. It's like a rear end, destroy one gear/bearing you just change everything.

OP
OP
5GENIDN

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Without trying to speak on which portal is better then the other. I will say I watched an entire install of the Bronco Tibus portals and a lot of what this guy is talking about didn’t seem to be a thing for the new Tibus portals. In fact, it all seemed very easy and quick, everything was very well designed and fit together without any crazy pressing except for an axle fitting. @Snacktime was there too and has more experience in these matters so I’d like to hear what he has to say.
Even with a new design.... And lets call it out... those were portals designed for a g wagon not a bronco... BUT... When using helical gear sets and the appropriate bearings they have to be preloaded correctly. And remember there is more than two companies offering portals for the bronco.

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Even with a new design.... And lets call it out... those were portals designed for a g wagon not a bronco... BUT... When using helical gear sets and the appropriate bearings they have to be preloaded correctly. And remember there is more than two companies offering portals for the bronco.
I wanna hear about werewolf. Where is their stuff

Sponsored
OP
OP
5GENIDN

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

The issues in that video do not exist on the current design. Tone rings are pressed on with no alignment pins. The bracket that caused the damage is now adjustable. Wasn't bolted up in my picture.
Ford Bronco Tibus Portals, you probably want to be very careful on the installation. PXL_20230901_164626382

The other big item was the bolts went through the portal making it very hard to install, now they thread in from the back. I would personally like to see a threaded insert but that is my engineering background.

I think just about anyone could install these if you can use a torque wrench. Now changing the bearings I would relate more to setting up a ring and pinion. The skill to pull steel bearings out of a aluminum housing is a challenge.

I do not see any big red flags with the design. Getting parts could be an issue, but don't really see anyone trying to fix a portal. If you kill a gear/bearing you might as well just order another portal assembly. It's like a rear end, destroy one gear/bearing you just change everything.
Now that is fascinatingly I actually thought the tibus were cast ferric.... You are saying the housing is aluminum... I would love to get my hand on them and see them in person. I do worry about the amount of axial loading that housing is going to have to resist.

OP
OP
5GENIDN

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I wanna hear about werewolf. Where is their stuff
Matrix in Bend, Oregon is selling and installing.... I understand they are an official dealer now.

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Now that is fascinatingly I actually thought the tibus were cast ferric.... You are saying the housing is aluminum... I would love to get my hand on them and see them in person. I do worry about the amount of axial loading that housing is going to have to resist.
366358DE-3FB3-43EE-89AB-CC2376D1A8DE.jpeg

BB69F885-6517-42D2-97C5-D71F64325EC9.jpeg

DECF4885-5ED9-4E30-B264-C8C075B24D1A.jpeg

OP
OP
5GENIDN

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Still not liking the bearing sets from the idler down... There is axial loading on those.... I do not see where it is being accounted for.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Germans got that solved pretty easy, this dish threads in. To set the preload and take play.
Ford Bronco Tibus Portals, you probably want to be very careful on the installation. PXL_20230901_164824315

The square cover with pins then goes on locking in the preload. Same thing as a nut and cotter pin on trailer axle.
Ford Bronco Tibus Portals, you probably want to be very careful on the installation. PXL_20230901_185459589

There are plenty of things to go wrong but overall it's a simple design. I do not see to buch of an issue with the helical cut gears. The pitch on the teeth is really mild, cough sales gimmick lol.
Ford Bronco Tibus Portals, you probably want to be very careful on the installation. PXL_20230901_165815937

I would say the portals where pretty molested prior to install. Really different when you put your hands on them. The only concern I have is the wheel hub. Having had lots lifted trucks the wheel hub takes a beating and I am not sure how long they will last big tires. This is no different from my bronco as I am running 37s on a factory hub.

Sponsored
OP
OP
5GENIDN

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Still not liking the bearing sets from the idler down... There is axial loading on those.... I do not see where it is being accounted for.
Maybe I am worrying about things that will never come to pass... Maybe it is fine.... but it still worries me.

OP
OP
5GENIDN

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Germans got that solved pretty easy, this dish threads in. To set the preload and take play.
Ford Bronco Tibus Portals, you probably want to be very careful on the installation. PXL_20230901_165815937

The square cover with pins then goes on locking in the preload. Same thing as a nut and cotter pin on trailer axle.

There are plenty of things to go wrong but overall it's a simple design. I do not see to buch of an issue with the helical cut gears. The pitch on the teeth is really mild, cough sales gimmick lol.

I would say the portals where pretty molested prior to install. Really different when you put your hands on them. The only concern I have is the wheel hub. Having had lots lifted trucks the wheel hub takes a beating and I am not sure how long they will last big tires. This is no different from my bronco as I am running 37s on a factory hub.
good point on the hub... a concern for all of them.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Maybe I am worrying about things that will never come to pass... Maybe it is fine.... but it still worries me.
Same boat, that is why I let other people buy them. If you really are looking to buy, I would be more worried about the stock axles and steering. Big tires + Portals is a lot of rotational mass!

OP
OP
5GENIDN

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Same boat, that is why I let other people buy them. If you really are looking to buy, I would be more worried about the stock axles and steering. Big tires + Portals is a lot of rotational mass!
I am very aware of the rotational mass differential. As well as the additional unsprung weight inertia that will need to be overcome (at least at speed). I used to teach people how to do those calculations. And yes the steering needs addressed. That cast alum housing is a weak point. I do not like the idea of upgrading tie rods until that is addressed. I see tie rods as a fuse. I don't want to put a bigger fuse in the circuit unless the line has been upgraded to handle the additional load.

builtMIbronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond on 37s
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

IMG_5360.jpeg

I'm assuming the housing is what's cracked, but not sure we will ever hear more about it. The housings are 7075 aren't they?
Sponsored