First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here’s a video I took at around 3 o’clock this afternoon. I am going to have to take it in to the dealer but won’t be able to do that until next week since my F350 is going into the shop tomorrow.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Paul Gagnon

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So last night I was thinking about this and I because of the way it feels when the wheel breaks loose and wondered if it might be whatever mechanism locks the steering column that is having trouble with the cold.

This morning seems to confirm that. It was -31C when I started the Bronco with the remote start. After running for two cycles (which incidentally is all that you get, instead of the normal three cycles, what’s up with that @Ford Motor Company ) and the interior temperature being somewhat warmer, the wheel turns freely and effortlessly. I may be onto something here.

OP
OP
Paul Gagnon

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I slept in this morning so I didn't use the remote start. It was -30C at the house when I left this morning and a little colder at work (-33). I can absolutely confirm that whatever is causing this issue is inside the steering column and is related to cab temperature. When I first started the engine and tried to turn the wheel, it again made a snap when trying to break the wheel free and then makes a squeaking and dragging sound and has a dragging feel. As the cab temperature climbed the wheel got lighter until I was just a few blocks from work(about 20 minutes of driving) when it became completely free spinning.

As I was driving in, I had a thought. What if the steering wheel lock is also the same mechanism that adjusts the steering feel? That would totally make sense wouldn't it? I am still not sure how the steering wheel lock mechanism works as I cannot find an exploded view of the column anywhere online. At first I thought that maybe it was like a little mechanical drum brake but what if it is hydraulic? That would explain what I am seeing. While it is very annoying, it is not a safety issue so I am not going to take it to the dealer until I can figure out what is causing it. I don't want to leave my Bronco there for several days to have them tell me "i don't know."

Happytown

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 Eco SCREW 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I slept in this morning so I didn't use the remote start. It was -30C at the house when I left this morning and a little colder at work (-33). I can absolutely confirm that whatever is causing this issue is inside the steering column and is related to cab temperature. When I first started the engine and tried to turn the wheel, it again made a snap when trying to break the wheel free and then makes a squeaking and dragging sound and has a dragging feel. As the cab temperature climbed the wheel got lighter until I was just a few blocks from work(about 20 minutes of driving) when it became completely free spinning.

As I was driving in, I had a thought. What if the steering wheel lock is also the same mechanism that adjusts the steering feel? That would totally make sense wouldn't it? I am still not sure how the steering wheel lock mechanism works as I cannot find an exploded view of the column anywhere online. At first I thought that maybe it was like a little mechanical drum brake but what if it is hydraulic? That would explain what I am seeing. While it is very annoying, it is not a safety issue so I am not going to take it to the dealer until I can figure out what is causing it. I don't want to leave my Bronco there for several days to have them tell me "i don't know."
Paul I'd keep an open mind that you may have made a false correlation to rising cab temps improving the steering feel. The electric power steering rack could be warming up at roughly the same rate as cab temps, since it rides just below the engine. That rack (if it works the same as the one on my F150) has a sealed electric motor that runs a belt driven steering gear, all precision machined parts sealed within the rack. It would kinda make sense that all those moving parts are coated in some kind of grease that is just getting stiff at the temps you are in. Just a thought, certainly can't explain away the cracking sound you are hearing in the column.

OP
OP
Paul Gagnon

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Paul I'd keep an open mind that you may have made a false correlation to rising cab temps improving the steering feel. The electric power steering rack could be warming up at roughly the same rate as cab temps, since it rides just below the engine. That rack (if it works the same as the one on my F150) has a sealed electric motor that runs a belt driven steering gear, all precision machined parts sealed within the rack. It would kinda make sense that all those moving parts are coated in some kind of grease that is just getting stiff at the temps you are in. Just a thought, certainly can't explain away the cracking sound you are hearing in the column.
I had my display showing the gauges, which shows engine oil and transmission temperature. The engine temperature rises fairly quickly, much quicker than the cabin temperature. If it was related to engine temperature it would clear up much quicker than it does. Once I gather some more information I will video the entire sequence.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD/2023 Maverick XLT/02 F150/68 Torino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Paul:my BD does the same at cold temps(has been -38/-46 for the last week)the steering is very "heavy" in cold temps because the EPAS rack has tight tolerances and light lube.I don't have the steering wheel lockup that you have and that sounds like the wheel interlock is failing to fully release,I've noticed this concern at extreme cold temps on all Epas equipt vehicles.

OP
OP
Paul Gagnon

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Paul:my BD does the same at cold temps(has been -38/-46 for the last week)the steering is very "heavy" in cold temps because the EPAS rack has tight tolerances and light lube.I don't have the steering wheel lockup that you have and that sounds like the wheel interlock is failing to fully release,I've noticed this concern at extreme cold temps on all Epas equipt vehicles.
Yeah, I am almost certain that it is the interlock mechanism. I just wish I knew how it operated. It can't be the traditional detent and pin or it wouldn't release at all.

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD/2023 Maverick XLT/02 F150/68 Torino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

They really don't have any breakdown pics in service manuals for the column but if same as other models i've worked on will have a actuating solonoid on the side of the column.

RhodeIslandRed

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
TD5 Defenders
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have you resolved this yet? There are three plugs that pop onto the steering motor. After a service, I didn't plug one of them in properly and my rig was acting like you describe.

This doesn't have anything to do with the cold, but I wonder if it's something related. It's a pain to get to. You have to drop both skid plates and then the wire plugs are on the top of the motor. The center plug is harder to unclip.

Update us when you solve.
Sponsored