Possible solution for no single roof front cross bar

WIDirtFishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Lariat 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So i’ve searched, reached out to vendors, and looked for possible solutions for my problem. I never really found a solution nor got feedback from the vendors they would produce an item. What i was looking for was a single front cross bar i could attach to the hard top to transport a canoe in the summer time. Welp, couldn’t find one.
So i started looking for “Universal” ones online. I found this badboy from Spring Creek Manufacturing. Spring Creek cross bar
It’s pricey but seems Very well/overbuilt and very solid. Price is a but much but i really have no other options for the front. First report on effectiveness and if the suctions hold well to the hard top to come in a month on our first camping excursion but thought i’d share what i found as ive seen some other recent threads on the topic.

edit: just to clarify. There is also a strap that goes through the cab to secure it down.

Ford Bronco Possible solution for no single roof front cross bar IMG_5343

Ford Bronco Possible solution for no single roof front cross bar IMG_5344
Sponsored

Last edited:

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So i’ve searched, reached out to vendors, and looked for possible solutions for my problem. I never really found a solution nor got feedback from the vendors they would produce an item. What i was looking for was a single front cross bar i could attach to the hard top to transport a canoe in the summer time. Welp, couldn’t find one.
So i started looking for “Universal” ones online. I found this badboy from Spring Creek Manufacturing. Spring Creek cross bar
It’s pricey but seems Very well/overbuilt and very solid. Price is a but much but i really have no other options for the front. First report on effectiveness and if the suctions hold well to the hard top to come in a month on our first camping excursion but thought i’d share what i found as ive seen some other recent threads on the topic.

IMG_5343.jpeg

IMG_5344.jpeg
I've been looking for a crossbar that would attach to my front windshield, to support a long board or a kayak that is principly attached to the half rack on my rear cap. What you show, by itself, it seems like it would blow right off without a mechanical fastener or a second attachment to the. Also, I don't believe that the removable front panels are designed to be weight bearing, only the rear cap and front windshield have capacity.

SmartSelect_20231013_080955_Gallery.jpg

BigSkyBronco

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited - '96 Toyota FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Based on the first photo, it appears there should be a strap of some type running through the grommet below the side/edges of the rack. Possibly w/ a hook to hold it to the roof?

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Hmm.

Most would get the rack that bolts onto the front rack mount (those mounting points right above the windshield). Now, those rails run along the length of the Bronco, but the cross bars just go on that rack wherever you want to put them. It does make pulling the top off more of a chore though.

But - it sounds like what you got is working - nice find. And you can still pop the top relatively easily. I guess if you strap the canoe down, even though it's just suction cups it really isn't going to go anywhere. Don't know if I'd trust it without something strapping it down though.

I am looking for a way to haul a canoe on mine, but have been lazy. With the tires and lift, I don't relish the thought of hauling the thing up on the roof, which is the biggest reason I haven't went and done anything yet. I have a small flatbed trailer I can tow them around on now, which is probably what I'll keep doing .

OP
OP

WIDirtFishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Lariat 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I've been looking for a crossbar that would attach to my front windshield, to support a long board or a kayak that is principly attached to the half rack on my rear cap. What you show, by itself, it seems like it would blow right off without a mechanical fastener or a second attachment to the. Also, I don't believe that the removable front panels are designed to be weight bearing, only the rear cap and front windshield have capacity.

Ford Bronco Possible solution for no single roof front cross bar SmartSelect_20231013_080955_Gallery
Sorry i should’ve clarified. It also has a steap that runs through the cab. So not just suction cups.
im not too worried about weight as the cups are close to the cage and my canoe is 52 lbs. & also supported by a 1/2 rack. nothing more will ever be strapped to it.

Sponsored

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

One potential solution is to get a light bar mount and mount a T track on it.

OP
OP

WIDirtFishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Lariat 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
One potential solution is to get a light bar mount and mount a T track on it.
I actually considered this. Zroadz has a blank light bar that mounts to the windshield. As well as a fee other companies, but my biggest concern was the angle they make those brackets. They’re meant for 5 lbs in lights, not 50 lbs of canoe. I’m sure it would’ve been fine but i thought perhaps the sheering pressure on the bar would be too much. It was also more exspensive.
I think this will work out well and I can remove when I’m done. We’ll see how it works and lines up in a dew weeks after I install my 1/2 rack.

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I actually considered this. Zroadz has a blank light bar that mounts to the windshield. As well as a fee other companies, but my biggest concern was the angle they make those brackets. They’re meant for 5 lbs in lights, not 50 lbs of canoe. I’m sure it would’ve been fine but i thought perhaps the sheering pressure on the bar would be too much. It was also more exspensive.
I think this will work out well and I can remove when I’m done. We’ll see how it works and lines up in a dew weeks after I install my 1/2 rack.
My concern as well. I would love it if the roof rack sellers would sell their mounting parts separately. I could see using the Trailrax full rack (above the windshield) mounts, one of their crossbars, and the wind deflector.

My use case is similar: two 12 ft polypropylene kayaks. I would support them with a half rack and EVA blocks. The front "rack" would help with stability and tie points.

@TrailRax any thoughts on this?

OP
OP

WIDirtFishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Lariat 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My concern as well. I would love it if the roof rack sellers would sell their mounting parts separately. I could see using the Trailrax full rack (above the windshield) mounts, one of their crossbars, and the wind deflector.

My use case is similar: two 12 ft polypropylene kayaks. I would support them with a half rack and EVA blocks. The front "rack" would help with stability and tie points.

I actually messaged them about this already lol
They had a post a few years ago saying they had a Windshield mounted front cross bar in development. Then radio silence. They said they scrapped it because of wind noise. Which is too bad because for a lot of us that carry “Paddle sport” items the windshield mounted cross bar & rear cap cross bar or 1/2 rack is the Only good solution if you don’t want a full roof rack set up.

if Trailrax developed something or was willing to sell the parts to make this, even with no warranty and no returns, i’d still buy it. There is no option on the market right now to carry surf boards, SUP boards, canoe, kayaks, etc on the top without a full roof rack. The foam blocks work well, but I don’t trust only them and straps going 70 mph.

edit: i also wouldn’t care about wind noise as i would probably remove it when not in use. And i know its gonna be noisy as hell carrying a items on top lol

TrailRax

Badlands
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
TrailRax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

This is a perfect solution for our full length rack! Due to the weight of the kayaks and the volume in size, wind and other dynamic forces add more to the situation giving the full length rack the best fit for this situation. We understand that you want to do minimal parts but with those minimal parts, you will not get the load bearing capability you need and potentially a lot more wind noise than you would really want.

As much as we would love to sell individual pieces, we cannot because we would not be confident in the load bearing capability with that little of parts protecting your roof and Bronco.

Sponsored

HighVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Scrambler, Ferrari 458
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is a perfect solution for our full length rack!
No it's not. Full racks don't work for those of us with Sunriders (as above) nor does everyone want to spend twice as much for a rack that they are only using a fraction of the space.

I'm thinking about making a front-mounted hitch receiver that will bolt on to the underside of my JCR winch mount. That would allow me to use my canoe support on the front, then a simple half-rack on the back.

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
yeah, crazy a windshield crossbar option still does not exist on the market. I’ve just committed to using my trailer in the meantime which feels like overkill when I’m only hauling 1 or maybe 2 kayaks
Sponsored