Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Having had a few convertibles including the Jeep, you will need to adapt: less stuff - just what fits in lockable locations or under a seat if it has no value - and no loose papers. (Even if you think the grocery list sitting in the cup holder is safe at 35: better have a good memory. Ask me how I know.)

A mesh bimini like a Spiderweb shade and windows up cuts down on buffeting at higher speeds, but generally youā€™ll want a top up for most highway while you get to the trail, and then top down if the trail (or beach) is not dusty, or maybe sun rider back if you are not following on a dusty trail.
Sponsored

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The incentive is there to keep things picked up. We're very good about taking trash out of the Jeep every time we make any. I like it that way whether we're taking the top off or not.

The biggest surprise to me when we got our first Jeep was with the doors off there wasn't anything that could stay - rear floormats being the one I didn't think about until we were driving down the road!

brocotect

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Your Bronco Model
Base
Since we have reached critical mass with things to analyze and/or complain about, I have a few dumb questions relative to convertible living. I've never owned a convertible vehicle, but I know that some of you are J**p people.

1. What about papers/trash? Every time I open my windows in the truck, a tornado of loose papers or wrappers is stirred up. I guess I just need to be more diligent in stowing stuff... I keep the truck generally clean but stuff blows out of the trash can and out of the side pockets. I wonder if any of you have aby practical suggestions.

Clean your fucking car pig. Problem 1 solved.

2. Wind control. I passed a J**p today on the interstate with the soft top down but the windows up. I feel like that would mitigate some of the wind whipping through so violently but have no experience. What's the best setup to enjoy higher speed top-down driving?

With the top down. Answered your own question.
If you have anymore questions you liked answered in a rude abusive way let me know. Ill be here all day.

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, '21 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As has been noted, all "convertibles" will act differently with how the wind swirls - I have a BMW Z3 and we drive it 'top down' all the time. No loose papers, but it is not a DD. Windows down for those perfect days. Windows up for when it is a touch too cool, or on the highway at speed. Air Conditioning on for when way too freaking hot even with top down, and heat on for those chilly Spring and Fall evenings cause I'm not putting the roof up.

We did find that installing a clear plexiglass deflector between the roll bars significantly reduced the wind swirling in the cabin and made it much more enjoyable. With a back seat and the length of the vehicle that probably won't be the same, though it remains to be seen how the rear shell affects this if you have the back window down.

I have a 4dr Jeep right now and when the hatches are removed over the front seats it is a minimal effect on us, though I have not used it yet on any highway like that. Was nicer with all windows down, those tops off and the rear window open, and you need to hold onto the papers then.

Really want to get a fastback soft top for the Bronco for seasonal (all but winter) use. Pulling and storing the panels will get old quickly vs just 'dropping the top'. Was never a 'convertible guy', and barely ever looked out the panoramic long glass top in my Volvo XC90, but now I want to be able to have the top off the Bronco as much as possible.

Ford Bronco Practical convertible questions... IMG_2764.JPG

Last edited:

HarderCorer

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The incentive is there to keep things picked up. We're very good about taking trash out of the Jeep every time we make any. I like it that way whether we're taking the top off or not.
My wife's car has papers and such all over and it drives me crazy. At least when she drives the Bronco with the doors off, I know she won't be leaving stuff all over.

"It's cold out but I want to drive the Bronco. Would you put the damn doors and roof back on?"
"Have you learned to clean up after yourself?"
"I hate you and should have married your brother."

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Just my opinion: I've owned a couple topless or soft top jeeps and, to me, the idea of it is better than the reality. Hot, or cold, noisy, dusty and it never rains in Western Colorado unless the top's down. I'm just going for 'freedom panel' removal once in a while.

PecOBX

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Jeep CJ7
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So you havenā€™t had a driving with the top off experience - youā€™re gonna love it - especially when the doors are off too. It is my favorite way to drive and I generally donā€™t care how hot it is. To your questions:

1 - you will learn fast to just not keep lose stuff in the truck. Someone commented that there are storage parts you can get. Smart idea
2 - the windows being up in my wranglers can help with the wind noise some but itā€™s still a wind tunnel. If you think it will help you avoid everywhere hair - wonā€™t happen. The time when that configuration can help is a cool day where you and another front seat passenger want the top off but the heat on It will help keep you warmer but if you have anyone in the back seats they wonā€™t benefit as much.
Good luck and just enjoy the experience of the ride - it does wonders to reset your mind after a busy day at work!!!

BreezyNVegas

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So you havenā€™t had a driving with the top off experience - youā€™re gonna love it - especially when the doors are off too. It is my favorite way to drive and I generally donā€™t care how hot it is. To your questions:

1 - you will learn fast to just not keep lose stuff in the truck. Someone commented that there are storage parts you can get. Smart idea
2 - the windows being up in my wranglers can help with the wind noise some but itā€™s still a wind tunnel. If you think it will help you avoid everywhere hair - wonā€™t happen. The time when that configuration can help is a cool day where you and another front seat passenger want the top off but the heat on It will help keep you warmer but if you have anyone in the back seats they wonā€™t benefit as much.
Good luck and just enjoy the experience of the ride - it does wonders to reset your mind after a busy day at work!!!
One of the reasons I'm getting the 4 door is the option of storing the doors in back after work. The other reason is the Wife said "I don't care how many doors it's got, as long it's four."

YEGDriver

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've had a few vehicles that the top comes off. I currently have a wrangler, and I generally only take the front two panels off. Yes there is an issue with wind, and I've gotten sunburn from driving around not thinking about the sun, since the wind felt so nice. I also have had in the past several chevy trackers or equivalent. This picture is of an Asuna Sunrunner. Basically a tracker with a nicer interior.
Ford Bronco Practical convertible questions... Asuna.JPG

If you are choosing to get a bronco with a soft top you may encounter one issue I had with these vehicles. Unless you put it in a garage every night, you likely will have some unpleasant person decide to cut the soft top to break into the vehicle. It doesn't even matter if you leave it unlocked. They are too dumb to just not want to cut the soft top. However if you are getting a hard top bronco, then you're golden.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Chris,

#1 - You'll need to get a cover for your trash can.
#2 - Yes, the windows up will cut down on the turbulence.

We've owned convertibles for years. And I will say, there's nothing like that perfect day with your bestie, top down, and driving to nowhere. So, as the old saying goes, "Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff." If you want a convertible you won't be disappointed, but do expect your hair to be blown. Or, if you're like me that doesn't matter....ain't got no hair. :)

Sponsored
OP
OP
88to21bronco

88to21bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
If you think it will help you avoid everywhere hair - wonā€™t happen.
I haven't had any hair--partially by choice--in years. I've had convertible hair for a while!

Last edited:

Hooper

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nissan rogue, have reservation for new bronco 2
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I learned quickly with my wrangler that you can't leave things around. even empty water bottles can learn how to fly.

Mark67

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Wrangler unlimited X
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I currently have a 4 door Wrangler (had since 2007) and one thing that is a pain is sunburn. On a sunny day, driving with the doors and front panels off, while wearing shorts and tee shirt, equal sunburned arms, thighs, and calf. Keep a bottle of sunblock handy for those unexpected times you decide to take the top and doors off.

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So I have experience with a Mustang convertible to shed some light onto your concerns. obviously Bronco will be different, and will depend if you have the back part on or not I'm sure.

Anyway...

1) Loose papers with the top and windows down are as good as gone. At least they are in the Mustang. They're ok in the passenger footwell with something weighing them down. With the Bronco's taller doors (vs. Mustang), I suppose it's possible papers might stay in the footwell areas, but won't know until I experience it. I'd venture to guess windows up and top down, they'd probably be ok in the passenger footwell.

2) Yes, windows up/top down DOES help with wind control/whipping. Back seat passengers in the 4 door may have more wind to deal with from up top than a usual convertible, though, with the large opening up top and overall length of the cabin compared to a usual convertible.
This mostly covered it. During the warm half of the year I leave the top down all the time on my Mustang. When I go grocery shopping, it's handy to just reach in the back seat and put everything there. But I have to make sure the paper receipt is under something that will keep it in place or risk having it blow out. You can't leave anything at all loose in the interior and expect it to not blow out of the car.

I put the windows up if I'm going faster than about 40 mph. That keeps things more calm in the interior. On the freeway it's not usually worth the bother of having the top down because of the noise from other traffic.

Ford Bronco Practical convertible questions... 2005Mustan

ChrisD

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2021 Lincoln Corsair
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you are choosing to get a bronco with a soft top you may encounter one issue I had with these vehicles. Unless you put it in a garage every night, you likely will have some unpleasant person decide to cut the soft top to break into the vehicle. It doesn't even matter if you leave it unlocked. They are too dumb to just not want to cut the soft top. However if you are getting a hard top bronco, then you're golden.
Bah, when they decided to steal stuff out of my JK, they just smashed the driver window out. I was a little upset because they could have just unzipped the top, but I guess smashing was faster and more rewarding. My friend bought me an ice cream bar to cheer me up after my Jeep was molested so. :cool:
Sponsored