First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline RTL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
This is a follow-up regarding a post from Bronco6G member Berwolf who posted canvas failure as soft top “can fold under the frame and rub against a piece of plastic.”

I want all soft top owners to know this because the soft top on my Bronco has the same problem. I’m adding photos showing what I discovered on the Passenger side of my Bronco. YOU MUST INSPECT the roll back process and manually retract the canvas as I had because there can be an asymmetrical fabric rollback and thus rubbing which may occur against the frame. Any help from @Ford or other Bronco owners experience and feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and I hope this helps everyone.

Ford Bronco PSA: How to fold soft top to avoid rubbing / contact damage 838C8554-36D1-4BAF-AC18-9E111DDF5243

Ford Bronco PSA: How to fold soft top to avoid rubbing / contact damage E8582E0C-09E4-4F38-BB2D-1F251722B0F2

Ford Bronco PSA: How to fold soft top to avoid rubbing / contact damage EE522381-A34D-4895-81F5-F9395B1948EE

Ford Bronco PSA: How to fold soft top to avoid rubbing / contact damage 43103BCB-38B9-476F-B511-E0BAF8F39B3E
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

tjnoffy

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBX Sas, '05 Mustang GT Conv, 2 Harleys
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is a follow-up regarding a post from Bronco6G member Berwolf who posted canvas failure as soft top “can fold under the frame and rub against a piece of plastic.”
I want all soft top owners to know this because the soft top on my Bronco has the same problem. I’m adding photos showing what I discovered on the Passenger side of my Bronco. YOU MUST INSPECT the roll back process and manually retract the canvas as I had because there can be an asymmetrical fabric rollback and thus rubbing which may occur against the frame. Any help from @Ford or other Bronco owners experience and feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and I hope this helps everyone.

Ford Bronco PSA: How to fold soft top to avoid rubbing / contact damage 43103BCB-38B9-476F-B511-E0BAF8F39B3E

Good to know. Thanks!

OP
OP
RWBigBend21

RWBigBend21

Big Bend
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline RTL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
When I was selling jeeps, this is that we taught all new buyers to do when flipping soft top back.
Yeah I’ve never owned a Jeep before but now I know . Live and learn. Might be something for Ford to let dealerships know about .

Snydermann

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samurai, VW Thing, MINI, smart, Astro Van
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Manual dressing of the top is common on many convertibles, especially when new. Once they break in, they behave better, and will usually settle into the proper position on their own.

Sponsored

josephs6392

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1940 Ford roadster pickup, 1947 Ford 5W coupe
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This situation is not unique to the new Bronco as others have stated. I’ve owned several convertibles since the 70’s and each one had its own place that was susceptible to folding in the wrong manner with the potential to tear. My ‘71 Chevelle SS convertible was the worst but for those smart enough to read the owners manual damage could be avoided. You had to pause the top in the halfway position and adjust the pads which ran between the top irons and the material so it wouldn’t get pinched between the metal. Many GM cars of this body style drove around with a 3” slice on the sail panel behind the rear window as a result.
I realize the owners manual is so long that few will read it all the way through but this should be addressed under the section for the soft top operation.
History is repeating itself once again.

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
This situation is not unique to the new Bronco as others have stated. I’ve owned several convertibles since the 70’s and each one had its own place that was susceptible to folding in the wrong manner with the potential to tear. My ‘71 Chevelle SS convertible was the worst but for those smart enough to read the owners manual damage could be avoided. You had to pause the top in the halfway position and adjust the pads which ran between the top irons and the material so it wouldn’t get pinched between the metal. Many GM cars of this body style drove around with a 3” slice on the sail panel behind the rear window as a result.
I realize the owners manual is so long that few will read it all the way through but this should be addressed under the section for the soft top operation.
Before the top became a laughable matter of tatters underneath a tarp before I sold it - my uncle's 69 camaro ss convertible had the exact tear that you described. He was uh - not a detail oriented fella - and that explains why it had that tear all those years. In Erie, PA none the less....

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Unfortunately, this thread is only relevant to one third of the country right now. The rest of us are in winter and won't be doing much folding back. This thread is valuable information however, and should be bumped up come May so all the northerners like me can be reminded how to care for the soft top!

OP
OP
RWBigBend21

RWBigBend21

Big Bend
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline RTL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Thanks, Yes I'm a big fan of reading. Especially the owners manual as I have to say I've read most of it including Removable Vehicle Components pages 348-350 there is nothing about 'dressing the soft top' under Partially Opening the Soft top. Regardless, I've learned and moving forward it might be a good idea for @Ford to included that in the manual unless I missed it somewhere ? Have a great weekend Bronco owners and future owners I wish you a great new 2022 model year.

Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can I ask a stupid soft-top newbie question? Is it easier to open the soft-top from outside the vehicle or from inside the vehicle?

I’ve only attempted to open mine once, from the outside, and found it challenging/awkward. Just curious.

Thanks for the tips!

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the tip! That makes sense; I found it very heavy and super awkward from outside and figured it can't be good for the frame of the soft-top to do this (as it adds more strain to the opposite side).

When the snow/rain stops... one of these days... I'll give it a try from inside. Appreciate it! Can't wait to see what solution/tips you come up with for closing it :)
Sponsored