Sponsored

Question about drain plugs, crawl mode vs. sport, etc...

SilverSurfer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Diamond 4dr MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The front panels are about 13 lbs, the middle panel is about 27 lbs (but its big) and the rear section is 68 lbs.
Sponsored

Last edited:

66GT

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Marauder, 66 Mustang GT, 65 Ranchero, 64 Comet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, crosswinds are tough for almost any vehicle not to pick up sounds, but the MIC is ridiculous. I can live with the extra noise to an extent, but when the down wind side window started getting sucked out of the window channel, it was beyond annoying. We were wearing ear plugs as any conversation or radio was impossible. We did one day with over 600 miles of 35+mph crosswinds and one day with 100miles of 60+mph crosswinds. As a side note, a brick rolling down the highway was not meant for crosswinds, especially gusty ones.

A 3600 mile trip with at least 3000 miles of some type of crosswind. At least 600 miles of it was reasonably quiet.

Thankfully my MIC top is mostly an object to take up room in my garage.
All you TL/DR guys can just keep scrolling.....

I know exactly what you mean. Discovered the window suction issue on Day 3 of ownership when I went thru the Cascades.

For the first couple of days, I was incredibly impressed that the MIC drove as quietly as a fixed-roof vehicle (BL with sound deadening and carpet). As I was coming thru Snoqualime Pass on I-90, the negative suction on the downwind side sucked the driver's window out of the track at anything over 75 MPH. LOUD wind noise... like worse than the whole window being down.

I just drove thru the pass for the second time this weekend. It happened again. It's the ONLY place I have experienced this in 2.5 months and 3,500 smiles ;) of owning it.

I think it's a legit defect and needs to be adjusted. In 4 trips (2x there and back) thru the pass it ONLY happens on the DRIVERS door. Engineering on the passenger door seems just fine. I am going to bring it to the attention of the dealer when I get my windshield seal recall done. Yay on that, too.

I have noticed that the MIC rides a lot more like a convertible top now... acceptable wind noise in the usual places. Have found if I'm careful pushing some of the rubber seams closer together before I clamp it down, it can cut that by about half. Don't usually care. No leaks going thru high pressure car washes... and I'm good. (As all the OCD Bronco detailers cringe.)

@Headless Horseman @BroncoKong Jr. I was surprised when my BL with lux & leather did not come with electrically adjustible seats... especially when I saw another BL with leather and adjustible seats.

💡 Hello. His was a 4dr, I've got a 2dr. I don't get them because I've got the sliding tracks for the rear seat access. I get it... but...... if I have to give up power seats anyway... why does Ford make me give up wash-out floors on my BL? It's not like leather can't get wet and wiped down similar to MGV. Just a quirk.

As for having carpet... not a big deal... I went with Husky x-act contour mats. They are as beefy as you will find... and quite frankly... I'd rather do the mud wash-out OUTSIDE of the vehicle. Even if I got caught in the rain with the top off they would hold a lot of water before they spilled over the edge. A shout-out to @Mabett for the rear seat back covers and cargo liner for protecting that end.

If I need a quick turn back to a more civilized level of vehicle cleanliness, I take out the dirty rubber stuff and just throw the original pristine carpeted mats... over my protected pristine carpeting... and in for the win until I find the time to hose off the Husky mats.

Just my .03 (my .02 hasn't been worth anything lately). 🤷‍♂️

Last edited: