Sponsored

Question about drain plugs, crawl mode vs. sport, etc...

Headless Horseman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Putting an order in when the window opens soon so I can get a Bronco before the year 2100...lol...

Anyway, a few questions...

1. Do all the models have drain plugs or only the Badlands? With that, are they also in the back seat or only the front?
2. Comparing the Badlands with SAS against the Wildtrak, does it come down to suburban use vs. off-road mostly? The crawl mode on Badlands vs. Sport mode on the Wildtrak....etc...
3. Hardtop question...no question the hardtop is quieter and more secure. However, what about ease of removing panels (front and back seat), putting in back of truck, etc...vs. getting the nice soft top? I think you get both hard and soft when you order the soft top? Does the hard top have the sound protection? If you put the soft top on and then switch, is it easy and do I need to worry about connections for washers on back windshield, wiper, etc?
4. Engine question: Always get bigger because the fuel consumption is about the same?

I'll start here and thank you for all your help...

headless
Sponsored

Rex21c

Wildtrak
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 fusion energi
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I can put in my experience with the following

#2. Driven both badlands and wildtrak (one at off rodeo). The badlands with the staybar disconnect will get you more articulation for sure. My reasoning for not getting it is I won't be in situations where the disconnect will really be needed. The wildtrak did everything the badlands did at the off rodeo and my wife does not want to go that far off roading as some of what we did at the off rodeo (las vegas). We do quite a bit of road trips breaking in the engine and knowing that we will be using the bronco more on road than off I opted for the sport mode, which was a great idea. I did a post about it Views on Sport Mode from Road Trip | Bronco6G - 2021+ Ford Bronco & Bronco Raptor Forum, News, Blog & Owners Community . So I'd say it depends on how far and how rough you want to go off roading. For what I will be using the Bronco for, I don't need the disconnect.
#4 On our trips breaking the engine in we done 200+ mile runs over various road conditions, hills, citys, freeways, some in eco mode (driving conservingly) , some in normal mode (but also conservingly), and a little in Sport (giggle) mode (what's conservation?), and we averaged anywhere between 18 to 20 MPG on a 2.7 over the span of the trips. NOW all that being said, if a person drives like a maniac, your MPG will suck. Our last trip was dome mostly in normal mode with 4 adults in the Bronco, some what being careful on the acceleration/breaking, but not always, and got low 18mpg. Around town only driving is 16 to 17 mpg. Love the 2.7, it's great. Auto transmission.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Headless Horseman

Headless Horseman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank you so much for your reply....that is a lot of great info to digest. I think the idea of the Badlands is 'cool', with the disconnect...however, I'll be doing mostly curb jumping for soccer games and some gentle off-roading.. I most certainly won't be running this in extreme terrain.

With that being said, the Wildtrak makes more sense...

Oh...any good info on tops? I really want the nice soft top but if the hard top is easy to take on and off, it's good enough and I can just store in the back of the truck. I do love the convertible feel but don't want to be losing my hearing all the time....o_O

Oh, does the wildtrak offer the drainage plugs so I can hose out the floors when mud gets everywhere from the soccer cleats?

Last edited:

CagyBasilisk

Black Diamond
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 4Runner SR5
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thank you so much for your reply....that is a lot of great info to digest. I think the idea of the Badlands is 'cool', with the disconnect...however, I'll be doing mostly curb jumping for soccer games and some gentle off-roading.. I most certainly won't be running this in extreme terrain.

With that being said, the Wildtrak makes more sense...

Oh...any good info on tops? I really want the nice soft top but if the hard top is easy to take on and off, it's good enough and I can just store in the back of the truck. I do love the convertible feel but don't want to be losing my hearing all the time....o_O

Oh, does the wildtrak offer the drainage plugs so I can hose out the floors when mud gets everywhere from the soccer cleats?
The WIldtrak will have some passive draining, but it is also carpeted. Only the Badlands and the Black Diamond trims get the washout floors and active drain plugs

TXBoy79

Wildtrak
First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Putting an order in when the window opens soon so I can get a Bronco before the year 2100...lol...

Anyway, a few questions...

1. Do all the models have drain plugs or only the Badlands? With that, are they also in the back seat or only the front?
2. Comparing the Badlands with SAS against the Wildtrak, does it come down to suburban use vs. off-road mostly? The crawl mode on Badlands vs. Sport mode on the Wildtrak....etc...
3. Hardtop question...no question the hardtop is quieter and more secure. However, what about ease of removing panels (front and back seat), putting in back of truck, etc...vs. getting the nice soft top? I think you get both hard and soft when you order the soft top? Does the hard top have the sound protection? If you put the soft top on and then switch, is it easy and do I need to worry about connections for washers on back windshield, wiper, etc?
4. Engine question: Always get bigger because the fuel consumption is about the same?

I'll start here and thank you for all your help...

headless
You don't get both tops when you order the soft top option...You'd have to select the dual top option and I'm not sure if it's actually available yet. I had that selected way back when and then the Hard Top fiasco happened and I went with the soft top only to aid in scheduling.

There are a lot or reports on the hard top rattling so prepare for that if you go that route and if you want the sound deadening then you have to option into that.

Sponsored

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The drain plugs are in all 4 seating locations on all models. As stated above only the badlands and black diamond are accessible, all other models require removing the carpet or going under the vehicle.

OP
OP
Headless Horseman

Headless Horseman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The drain plugs are in all 4 seating locations on all models. As stated above only the badlands and black diamond are accessible, all other models require removing the carpet or going under the vehicle.
This is a really odd issue. You'd think everyone would want to be able to access the drain plugs easily...with carpeting, is it sealed in like in a car, or just mats?

I really like the option of having rubber mats...never like carpet because it always gets dirty.

Rex21c

Wildtrak
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 fusion energi
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I've got the rubber mats over the carpet. work very well in my observations. If I remember correctly from other posts, because I've not looked, the spots for the drain plugs are there, just not drilled out. Also the draining channels in the floor pan are there, just covered with the carpets. Don't know if you could or want to drill out your own drain holes and get stock plugs or not. I'm good with the mats.

I have a soft top and will get a hard top when available from Ford. The plan will be to have the hard top on during winter/spring showers, then soft top for summer/fall. Out in Oregon so most of the year the top will be on.

Kameronatm

Badlands
First Name
Kameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would recommend opening YouTube and searching ford bronco. I’m being slightly sarcastic but seriously there are hundreds of videos giving you every little detail you are asking in regards to comparing trims. Everything is even listed on the Ford website in the build and price tool.

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is a really odd issue. You'd think everyone would want to be able to access the drain plugs easily...with carpeting, is it sealed in like in a car, or just mats?

I really like the option of having rubber mats...never like carpet because it always gets dirty.
Every car has the drain “plugs” u see the carpet. The broncos added a top mounted easily removable plug. There are other plugs under a BD or BL rubberized floor. To me it would be easier to remove the plugs from underneath on a carpeted model.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Headless Horseman

Headless Horseman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Every car has the drain “plugs” u see the carpet. The broncos added a top mounted easily removable plug. There are other plugs under a BD or BL rubberized floor. To me it would be easier to remove the plugs from underneath on a carpeted model.
Is the carpeting glued or otherwise locked in or is it easily removeable?

OP
OP
Headless Horseman

Headless Horseman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank you all for your input...I'm narrowing things down and like Rex21c discussed, although I'd like a bit of the cool features the BL provides, I'm going to be 95% on-road (but jumping curbs a ton at soccer tourneys).

The top issue is still one that I cannot figure out. Is the hardtop quieter, or not? Is it better to get both and just use the softtop during warmer months and then just put the hardtop back on.

Switching from the hard to soft and then back again, it is a pita or is it simple?

Who iz

Badlands
First Name
Otis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, 4Runner, Jimmy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In a week or so, I should have the carpet removed from my badlands. Will report back my findings.
Supposedly will be picking it up by early next week according to my dealer.
Will be able to share what is under my badland's carpet soon.
Planning on doing some water proofing to help protect the electric seat functions.

OP
OP
Headless Horseman

Headless Horseman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In a week or so, I should have the carpet removed from my badlands. Will report back my findings.
Supposedly will be picking it up by early next week according to my dealer.
Will be able to share what is under my badland's carpet soon.
Planning on doing some water proofing to help protect the electric seat functions.
Thank you...it'd be great if it was the same under the carpet as what's under the rubber mats...guess we'll find out soon. It's a shame we cannot have an option for leather with the electronic adjustable seats and forego the carpeting...

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you...it'd be great if it was the same under the carpet as what's under the rubber mats...guess we'll find out soon. It's a shame we cannot have an option for leather with the electronic adjustable seats and forego the carpeting...
I had to do some wiring under the rubber flooring in my Badlands and it's just the metal tub under there. Can't imagine it's any different than a carpeted one.

Can't have the leather seat electronics right where you'll be hosing out the floor so they add the carpet.
Sponsored