Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford '21 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Question for Jeep Soft Top Owners or other soft top owners: I live in Minnesota where believe it or not it gets cold and snows. I originally had ordered a WildTrak with the black modular hard top and black soft top. In light of recent news I am thinking of switching. I've been on the fence as I have other commodity challenged items on my order also, so waiting isn't a big deal. My issue is I am not a fan of the MIC top. If I am going to spend over $50K on a car I want it to be what I want.

I was actually looking at the black soft top, but my concern is living in a state that is cold and has a lot of road spray, a soft top is not really a viable option. I need the rear defrost and a wiper in the back right? I don't have it on my truck, but that is setup a little differently.

Do I really need rear defrost and a wiper in the back for winter conditions?

<<I am thinking of switching over to the Badlands and the soft top.>>
Sponsored

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My wife's old Jeep was a soft top (newer Jeep is hard top). We live in NJ, every winter that rear window was dirty as hell, drove her nuts.

But some people love the soft tops, I say get what you want

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It was something to keep me busy when I lived in the NE part of the country, but I don't recall worrying about it too often. Your situation may be totally different, ie worse and you need it.

Tricky Nick

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 2dr JK, manual, AEV lifted, 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Question for Jeep Soft Top Owners or other soft top owners: I live in Minnesota where believe it or not it gets cold and snows. I originally had ordered a WildTrak with the black modular hard top and black soft top. In light of recent news I am thinking of switching. I've been on the fence as I have other commodity challenged items on my order also, so waiting isn't a big deal. My issue is I am not a fan of the MIC top. If I am going to spend over $50K on a car I want it to be what I want.

I was actually looking at the black soft top, but my concern is living in a state that is cold and has a lot of road spray, a soft top is not really a viable option. I need the rear defrost and a wiper in the back right? I don't have it on my truck, but that is setup a little differently.

Do I really need rear defrost and a wiper in the back for winter conditions?

<<I am thinking of switching over to the Badlands and the soft top.>>
I am in Chicago and my soft top has never had an issue with ice. If covered with snow I just wait for it to melt some and slide off, so as not to scratch the plastic by brushing off...it is straight vertical, so not much snow ever stick on it. I only wash it when washing the Jeep generally, and never gets so dirty I can’t see fine out it. My Jeep heats well, so no issues with soft top being to cold in winter.

Bschurr

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Braptor / 2023 Heritage LE / 2016 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I have a couple of Jeeps and live in NY and use a hard top in the winter and soft top in the summer. The soft top would be a PITA during the winter. Rear defroster & wiper is a MUST in the winter.

Although originally ordered with Dual Tops, my plan is to get my 4dr Badlands with the MIC top and source an aftermarket soft top if they are unavailable from Ford.

Sponsored
OP
OP
bozmosis

bozmosis

Wildtrak
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford '21 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It was something to keep me busy when I lived in the NE part of the country, but I don't recall worrying about it too often. Your situation may be totally different, ie worse and you need it.
It’s going to be my daily commuter eventually. I know if I start with the soft top it won’t be ready for the defrost or wiper in the back. I think I know which way I need to go, but wondering what others who have owned soft tops think.

OP
OP
bozmosis

bozmosis

Wildtrak
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford '21 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have a couple of Jeeps and live in NY and use a hard top in the winter and soft top in the summer. The soft top would be a PITA during the winter. Rear defroster & wiper is a MUST in the winter.

Although originally ordered with Dual Tops, my plan is to get my 4dr Badlands with the MIC top and source an aftermarket soft top if they are unavailable from Ford.
I’m leaning towards switching to a Badlands and doing the same.

Sean D

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW EOS, Jeep Rubicon, Acura RDX, Yamaha Roadstar
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@bozmosis, I had both a hard top and a soft top on the Jeep. Would switch back and forth in the summer and winter. I live in Chicago. If I could do the same on my 2-door Badlands, I would.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a jeep w/ soft top here in CO. Lived in FL prior and never bothered to have a hard top. However, my wife will be getting a hardtop Bronco (mainly for less road noise-I cant talk on the phone in my jeep w/ the 35” MT tires & soft top on the highway).

regarding the rear wiper, my wife doesnt use hers on her grand cherokee. Not even sure she knows how to control it lol.

Gotdesl

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Living in Colorado, I would have the soft top only if it were an option on the 2 door. The rear window does get dirty, but typically not filthy. The constant spray hitting the back window keeps it somewhat clean. It isn't going to be a perfectly clear image, but you can see through it. You also have two side mirrors and a backup camera that will help keep a good line of sight behind you. As far as snow and ice, once the heat is going that disappears in very short order. Personally, I will use the rear wiper/washer rarely, if ever. If it gets too bad, throw a bucket or bottle of water on it and rinse the majority of the crap off. Do not wipe or rub, you won't be happy after doing that a few times.

Sponsored

Hemisfear

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I lived in Winnipeg a long time ago and had two Jeep’s in those years, both with hard tops for the winter and soft tops for the summer, I wouldn’t have it any other way! (I also don’t think the soft top would have lasted half as long as it did)

TennesseePA

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2008 ES350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a Gladiator with both tops and either are fine. In a past life I drove a flatbed truck all the time and all I could see in the rear view Murrow was the headache rack. Over time you just adapt to not have a rear view in the windshield. Just like when pulling a trailer.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Chicago area here, and I've decided to go soft only. Screw it. I see lots of those 7 opening fiats with them all winter.... And figure now we'll get it earlier.

TrueNorthBronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Zman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I run soft top year round and I'd say the back window is a legit concern in the winter. I use a cargo-top in the winter which has a vertical back window and an "awning" protecting it. This resolves all winter issues for me. When it's not snowing, I use a fast-back top. Snow definitely sticks to it so not recommended for winter.

Don't think you'll find a cargo-top for the bronco yet but if you do, it would solve the issue for sure.

Winter Top
Ford Bronco Question for Jeep Soft Top Owners!?!? IMG-20161120-WA0001 - Copy

Non-Winter Top
Ford Bronco Question for Jeep Soft Top Owners!?!? IMG-20190610-WA0004 - Copy
Sponsored