largo88

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Tundra, 2015 Highlander, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ok, so I’m dismayed (to say the least) as I was a 99’r to get the Dual Top with MOD top option. So that pushed me out to MY23 with the latest love letter from FoMoCo. I can’t do that. So do I go with the MIC or Soft top? So let’s do the numbers to help make the decision. This may have been covered in the giant recent FoMoCo letter thread but I didn’t have the patience to read the 600+ posts.

I see the number $695 being bandied about for the hard top and you get 200,000 reward points (a $1000 value)(which no one seems to know how to get (said rep at the dealership)) - so it should be a wash with shipping, right? However, isn’t the $695 the difference in price from the base soft top to the MIC? So the cost of the MIC hard top is not $695 - it’s a lot more, right?

So I looked up the price of a hard top for a 4 door Jeep Wrangler and it’s around $2500 and a soft top is around $2000 (I didn’t shop around, I think it said Mopar parts). So the difference is in the right neighborhood. I’m thinking that seems like a comparable price for hard tops and soft tops for the Bronco. Keep in mind if you’re buying the soft top for a hard topped vehicle, you’re buying all of the mechanism along with the fabric top so you can’t just look for a “replacement soft top”.

Does the ~$2000 to $2500 seem right to add one or the other top?
Sponsored

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm not sure I'm following any of that, but anyway, getting no top is not an option, so it's all based on the soft top, or getting the "upgraded" MIC top, or the upgraded modular hard top. If you don't want to wait until 2023 (I sure don't), then it's the soft top or pay $695 to get the MIC top.

The money at this point is moot, and I'm not even counting on any FordPass points or whatever they are. It's more about the waiting, not the money.

Wait. What was you actual question?

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not sure I'm following any of that, but anyway, getting no top is not an option, so it's all based on the soft top, or getting the "upgraded" MIC top, or the upgraded modular hard top. If you don't want to wait until 2023 (I sure don't), then it's the soft top or pay $695 to get the MIC top.

The money at this point is moot, and I'm not even counting on any FordPass points or whatever they are. It's more about the waiting, not the money.

Wait. What was you actual question?
He's just asking what the potential price is for buying a top through Ford parts

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sponsored
OP
OP

largo88

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Tundra, 2015 Highlander, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’m pretty sure the soft top won’t ship in a cardboard box if you start with the hard top - you won’t have any of the foldable frame so you’ll need to buy the “cloth top” and also the frame/mechanism It sits on.

If I remember the description of the dual top, it will come with the hard top installed and the soft top (with mechanism) will be shipped “inside” the vehicle (ie a giant U shape wrapped in twill cloth).

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Wrangler JL factory hardtops on 4wp. I bet the Bronco hardtops will be similar.

Primered
Black Plastic

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m pretty sure the soft top won’t ship in a cardboard box if you start with the hard top - you won’t have any of the foldable frame so you’ll need to buy the “cloth top” and also the frame/mechanism It sits on.

If I remember the description of the dual top, it will come with the hard top installed and the soft top (with mechanism) will be shipped “inside” the vehicle (ie a giant U shape wrapped in twill cloth).
It'll probably come in a box in the back of the Bronco. That's how Jeep does it.

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Here's the way I see it. (And admittedly, I had a margarita with my dinner.)

Modular hard top - Not an option right now. Not going to wait until 2023. Can't worry about the price in the future. I'll be forced to eat the cost, whatever it is.

MIC top. - Ugh, that thing sucks. Can I sell it to somebody later for a few hundred dollars?

Soft top - At least it's black. Hopefully it won't start leaking or give me mold exposure before I get a chance to pay a lot of money for a modular hard top that I wanted in the first place.

Last edited:

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Here's the way I see it. (And admittedly, I had a margarita with my dinner.)

Modular hard top - Not an option right now. Not going to wait until 2023. Can't worry about the price in the future.

MIC top. - Ugh, that thing sucks. Can I sell it somebody later for a few hundred bucks?

Soft top - At least it's black. Hopefully it won't start leaking or give me mold exposure before I get a chance to pay a lot of money for a modular hard top that I wanted in the first place.
I doubt either will sell very well so I'm looking at it as, which can I shove into the rafters of my garage easier?

Sponsored

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I doubt either will sell very well so I'm looking at it as, which can I shove into the rafters of my garage easier?
I'm just hoping Goodwill accepts Bronco soft tops.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I’ll take the soft top off your hands. I plan to buy one as soon as possible for my 4dr WT.
Well, that's one. 70k more to go.

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’ll take the soft top off your hands. I plan to buy one as soon as possible for my 4dr WT.
Can I ask why you're ordering a Wildtrak if you want a soft top?

(And please disregard the Wildtrak logo in my profile. I didn't realize what I was getting myself into, and they won't let me change it.)

Fatdaddy

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Can I ask why you're ordering a Wildtrak if you want a soft top?

(And please disregard the Wildtrak logo in my profile. I didn't realize what I was getting myself into, and they won't let me change it.)
I want a hardtop and soft top. Just want options for different times of the year. I like the convenience of the soft top when you want to “quickly take the top off” all the way to the rear. Hard top (MIC) is nice for the front panel removals but becomes tedious when removing the entire roof then storing it somewhere. Winter months: MIC, other months: Softy. I don’t think the roof should make/break someone’s decisions for the Bronco trim they really want. I want the WT for what the WT offers, not specially the roof. Sure I’m not happy about the MIC challenges and would like to opt for a soft top if I knew it would guarantee my build to be scheduled, but who wouldn’t and nothing is guaranteed. Plus with all other commodity constraints, the formula used to schedule builds, allocations games, etc., the roof is only part of the issue. Easier to buy a softy after deliver than to buy a MIC.
Sponsored