First Name
Ballard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, GT350, 991, Rubicon, Viper, Nissan Z32
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I usually buy the duel top group with my Jeeps and the hard top sits on the hoist in the garage the whole time. I always think I’ll use it more than I do. I have a Rubicon that the hard top is sitting there collecting dust as I type this.

This decision largely depends on how you are going to use your Bronco. Here is one man’s take with his own unique way he uses this type of vehicle.

If you are going to use the convertible part of the Bronco, the hard top just won’t go on much. If you are a person that likes the top off/down, then you are not going to fool with all the extra work of taking the hard top off all that often. I drop the top on my way home from work often. When I get to the beach, the top stays down anytime I’m in the Jeep. There is no way to take the hard top to the beach and make the Bronco/Jeep topless. There is no storing it in a condo. I can’t go on a road trip to the mountains for some off-roading and keep the hard top on. I’m always staying in some hotel and the hard top has to stay on for all the off-roading. You are only able to take the front panels off and that is a much closer experience to a sunroof, not a convertible.
I’m not taking a Wrangler or a Bronco on a road trip that I’m not going to use it for fun beach cruising or mountain off roading. I’ll take something else that is not as noisy, better MPG, more comfortable, etc . These are just my own experience after owning 4 Jeeps.

I buy these types of vehicles as toys and if I was not going to use the convertible part of the toy, I would go four runner, Range Rover or any of the other more reliable, more secure, quieter, etc SUV’s.

If you are more of a top up person and only want the convertible part 5 or 10 weekends out of the year, then a hard top is a better solution. When I’m putting on my hard top, I always have the best intentions of taking it off more often. The truth is, it stays on until I put the soft top back on. Then the top gets dropped pretty often. Almost daily during much of the year here in the south.

YMMV
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
HeatherJ

HeatherJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Another reason I would consider it is that my Jeep is not safe to drive as there is horrible road walking and drifting. It’s only 2021 and has been in and out of the shop. They are unwilling to do anything further.

Bobsled

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350 and Jeep jku
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The bestop sunrider is the best of both worlds for your Bronco .
Get the hardtop , in the long run you will be better off

OP
OP
HeatherJ

HeatherJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I usually buy the duel top group with my Jeeps and the hard top sits on the hoist in the garage the whole time. I always think I’ll use it more than I do. I have a Rubicon that the hard top is sitting there collecting dust as I type this.

This decision largely depends on how you are going to use your Bronco. Here is one man’s take with his own unique way he uses this type of vehicle.

If you are going to use the convertible part of the Bronco, the hard top just won’t go on much. If you are a person that likes the top off/down, then you are not going to fool with all the extra work of taking the hard top off all that often. I drop the top on my way home from work often. When I get to the beach, the top stays down anytime I’m in the Jeep. There is no way to take the hard top to the beach and make the Bronco/Jeep topless. There is no storing it in a condo. I can’t go on a road trip to the mountains for some off-roading and keep the hard top on. I’m always staying in some hotel and the hard top has to stay on for all the off-roading. You are only able to take the front panels off and that is a much closer experience to a sunroof, not a convertible.
I’m not taking a Wrangler or a Bronco on a road trip that I’m not going to use it for fun beach cruising or mountain off roading. I’ll take something else that is not as noisy, better MPG, more comfortable, etc . These are just my own experience after owning 4 Jeeps.

I buy these types of vehicles as toys and if I was not going to use the convertible part of the toy, I would go four runner, Range Rover or any of the other more reliable, more secure, quieter, etc SUV’s.

If you are more of a top up person and only want the convertible part 5 or 10 weekends out of the year, then a hard top is a better solution. When I’m putting on my hard top, I always have the best intentions of taking it off more often. The truth is, it stays on until I put the soft top back on. Then the top gets dropped pretty often. Almost daily during much of the year here in the south.

YMMV
I so appreciate your point of view. I never really thought of it in terms of having the whole top off camera just the freedom panels. I actually think I like the idea of just being completely topless over just the 4 panels on the bronco!

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ‘1928 model A, “23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Mine will be, hardtop (when it is raining or over 100 degrees) or mostly no top...never been a fan of soft tops. But very different mild climate here than most the rest of the country...

Sponsored

Koz44

Outer Banks
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have the two door hard top and I plan to purchase a Bestop soft top in April and then run my Bronco the same way we do with our Wrangler here in NY - April-Nov with the soft top and Nov-Mar with the hard top.

I don't know how sticking with the Hard Top affects your order and wait time but based on cost/availability, the soft top appears to be much more affordable as an add-on after purchase and much more readily available than the hard top. Meaning once you have the hard top you can easily purchase a soft top and know what that cost is now (from the Bestop site). If you start with the soft top it does not seem like there is a clear timeline on when you'd be able to purchase the hard top or what it will cost.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

These are all good answers! I live in Indiana up by Chicago so our winters suck! I work from home and park in the garage which is a plus. I currently drive a wrangler with a hard top and it’s the loudest car ever! You have to scream basically to talk to the person next to you. Noise and temperature are my two biggest concerns with the soft top. I only ordered the lux package with the hard top.

Ford has done a terrible job at communicating timeframes to customers. If I knew for certain a soft top would speed up my build, I would do it. It’s just unknown beside the chip shortage, what else could cause this massive delay in orders.
My MIC hard top is not noisy, but i have quieter tires than, say, a sasquatch. At 70 mph, its noisier than my previous F150, but not by much.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have the two door hard top and I plan to purchase a Bestop soft top in April and then run my Bronco the same way we do with our Wrangler here in NY - April-Nov with the soft top and Nov-Mar with the hard top.

I don't know how sticking with the Hard Top affects your order and wait time but based on cost/availability, the soft top appears to be much more affordable as an add-on after purchase and much more readily available than the hard top. Meaning once you have the hard top you can easily purchase a soft top and know what that cost is now (from the Bestop site). If you start with the soft top it does not seem like there is a clear timeline on when you'd be able to purchase the hard top or what it will cost.
One aftermarket company is now taking orders at $5,700 for a quieter 4dr Bronco hardtop.
https://www.thedrive.com/news/43945/ford-bronco-will-get-new-hardtop-options-as-aftermarket-steps-in

CactusClub

Wildtrak
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak, 2021 Porsche Taycan, GT3RS
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I really enjoy my soft top, so easy to peel back...and its black, not the off grey color that doesn't match anything.

OP
OP
HeatherJ

HeatherJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Sponsored
OP
OP
HeatherJ

HeatherJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I really enjoy my soft top, so easy to peel back...and its black, not the off grey color that doesn't match anything.
I don’t know why they would choose grey. It was a hang up for me for sure.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
THIS!! 🙌🏼 You definitely understand our weather! I think soft top could be fun! I basically have my hard top off all summer as it is, this just seems like it wouldn’t be as much of a pain as I am overthinking.
Hardtop is actually the ultimate topless. What I mean by that is, when you remove the hardtop, there is nothing else there. No soft top framing and fabric mucking things up on the sides of the body. With hardtop removed, the vehicle is the most open and accessible.

The downside is going somewhere. Chicagoland weather sucks. It's the weather armpit of the country. I don't know why anyone lives here. Why do I live here, lol. Anyway, its a running joke, I warn everyone to watch out for bad weather, when I remove the hard top.

Basically each has advantages/disadvantages - pick your poison. Clearing snow and windows (got to be more careful) of my soft top was not so fun in the winter though. If you ever think you might want a future hardtop, get it now because it will cost an arm and leg later.

Mike E

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands SAS 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

On my Jeep I’ve got the retractable roof and love it….however I‘m really looking forward to having the MIC top….I also don’t like the floppy side windows….not my thing And I never considered compromising my build to get my vehicle sooner.

CactusClub

Wildtrak
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak, 2021 Porsche Taycan, GT3RS
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I don’t know why they would choose grey. It was a hang up for me for sure.
yeah soon as I saw that grey with the black fender I was like no thanks..looks so cheap

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
After Ford starts to crank out Broncos and dealers have plenty on their lots ,
having a soft top Bronco will be a bad thing for resale.

Look at the jeeps on the road 80-90% are hardtops .
That is probably dependent upon where you live. Rag top jeeps are pretty popular where the weather is nice 10 months out of the year.
Sponsored