First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Honestly 4a is another thing that sone people mess up. I work in a dealership and I've had some many broncos that people drive around in 4a all the time. I had to do so much work on transfer cases due to that fact. 4a is good and all but your are not supposed to leave it in that mode all the time. I never use 4a in my Outer banks
So everyone that is driving around in Sport Mode shouldn't be? Sport mode puts you in 4A.
Sponsored

pillar406

Outer Banks
First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.keeseemotorcompany.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Interesting. So are you referring to customers who just leave it in 4A, regardless of weather / road conditions? Are you in an area with persistent snow and ice covered roads?

My Bronco is acceptable in snow, in 4A, compared to my winter driver. In 2H it is a pig. I wouldn’t want to drive, to say Aspen (which I do monthly in my winter driver) over multiple mtn passes and have to rely on 2H.
Yes a lot of our customers traveling through 4 corners bring the vehicles here and they are always in 4a snow, rain, sun it doesn't matter and that mentality boggles my mind

Shane78

Big Bend
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Honestly 4a is another thing that sone people mess up. I work in a dealership and I've had some many broncos that people drive around in 4a all the time. I had to do so much work on transfer cases due to that fact. 4a is good and all but your are not supposed to leave it in that mode all the time. I never use 4a in my Outer banks
What are you talking about man. It’s perfectly fine to leave it in 4A all the time. Is there a parasitic loss and some potential wear to driveline if you leave it in 4A for a 100k miles? Maybe. But look at how many brands have AWD only, no other modes. they are all doing fine. Same principle with the bronco.. literally tell you at off roadeo it’s okay to leave in 4A.

pillar406

Outer Banks
First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So everyone that is driving around in Sport Mode shouldn't be? Sport mode puts you in 4A.
Sport mode does not put you in 4a.

Sport

• For sporty driving with improved performance handling and response. This mode increases accelerator pedal response and provides a sportier steering feel. The powertrain system holds onto lower gears longer, helping your vehicle accelerate faster.
  • (2H) is the default four-wheel drive mode. (4L) is not selectable in sport mode.
  • The front electronic locking differential is not available in sport mode.
  • The rear electronic locking differential is available.
  • The stabilizer bar disconnect is not available in sport mode.
This is directly from PTS from Ford.

When (4A) is selected on the ATCM , the 4WD system provides electronically controlled four-wheel drive with power delivered to all four wheels, as required, for increased traction. (4A) is appropriate for all on-road driving conditions, such as dry road surfaces, wet pavement, light snow or gravel. Shifts from (2H) or (4H) to (4A) can be made at any speed. In (4A):

• The ATCM sends a (4A) mode status to the AWD module via the GWM .
  • The shift motor positions the ball ramp device at the clutch kiss point when driving conditions do not require 4WD.
  • The shift motor positions the ball ramp device to apply the clutch when wheel slip is anticipated or detected.
  • The reduction sleeve connects the input shaft and output shaft
  • (4A) is displayed in the message center.

You can leave it in 4a per Ford, but based on what I have seen there is extra wear on the system when you put it into 4a. From what I have seen it should not cause any damage but it can. Maybe these people were unlucky but it just seems to me that if you don't need it just leave it in 2H

pillar406

Outer Banks
First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

What are you talking about man. It’s perfectly fine to leave it in 4A all the time. Is there a parasitic loss and some potential wear to driveline if you leave it in 4A for a 100k miles? Maybe. But look at how many brands have AWD only, no other modes. they are all doing fine. Same principle with the bronco.. literally tell you at off roadeo it’s okay to leave in 4A.
I'm just telling you what I see at the dealership. To each their own. If you want to leave it in 4a go ahead. I personally believe that if you don't need 4a at that moment don't use it. I'll never tell anyone what to do with their own vehicles. It is just an observation.

Sponsored

Beachbum

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sport

• For sporty driving with improved performance handling and response. This mode increases accelerator pedal response and provides a sportier steering feel. The powertrain system holds onto lower gears longer, helping your vehicle accelerate faster.
  • (2H) is the default four-wheel drive mode. (4L) is not selectable in sport mode.

When (4A) is selected on the ATCM , the 4WD system provides electronically controlled four-wheel drive with power delivered to all four wheels, as required, for increased traction. (4A) is appropriate for all on-road driving conditions, such as dry road surfaces, wet pavement, light snow or gravel. Shifts from (2H) or (4H) to (4A) can be made at any speed. In (4A):

• The shift motor positions the ball ramp device at the clutch kiss point when driving conditions do not require 4WD.
  • The shift motor positions the ball ramp device to apply the clutch when wheel slip is anticipated or detected.

You can leave it in 4a per Ford, but based on what I have seen there is extra wear on the system when you put it into 4a. From what I have seen it should not cause any damage but it can. Maybe these people were unlucky but it just seems to me that if you don't need it just leave it in 2H
So when I select Sport mode and my 4A light comes on and the screen actually says entering 4A that it isn't really putting me in 4A? Sorry just trying to understand so I don't have issues down the road.

Thank you

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So when I select Sport mode and my 4A light comes on and the screen actually says entering 4A that it isn't really putting me in 4A? Sorry just trying to understand so I don't have issues down the road.

Thank you
I didn't think the Badlands has Sport GOAT mode?

Shane78

Big Bend
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Sport

Do you not have advanced 4x4 on yours? Because it does put you in 4A if you switch to sport. Every time. You have to get in sport, and revert back to 2H otherwise if you don’t want to be in 4A.

it’s just a bit disingenuous to speak in anecdotes about what you have seen in other vehicles to people who are none the wiser and genuinely seeking information. that’s a disservice to them.

Bluedoggie

Big Bend
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco Big Bend, 22 Volvo xc60
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

No 4A in BB 4.27 locking rear. No problems, it's so simple a cave man can do it. It's a beast in the snow. It's amazing how it holds in 2wd.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thank you
Sport mode does put it in 4A for the advanced transfer case. The workshop manual is incorrect.

Sponsored

Beachbum

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I didn't think the Badlands has Sport GOAT mode?
Mine did not. I added it using forscan because I wanted the ability to use 4A in the snow and not worry about using 4H. From what I'm reading though it looks like Slippery mode offers the same ability.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mine did not. I added it using forscan because I wanted the ability to use 4A in the snow and not worry about using 4H. From what I'm reading though it looks like Slippery mode offers the same ability.
I suspect that by adding it later you may have changed it's base functionality as in going to 4A instead of staying in 2H.

Murraydog11

Outer Banks
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2Dr Outer Banks, Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yes, that's true. But you can push the 2H button and run Sport 2H. That's the sweet spot!

Murraydog11

Outer Banks
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2Dr Outer Banks, Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sport

Yes it does. By default.