lwilliams34

lwilliams34

Big Bend
First Name
Lorne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350/2024 Bronco Big Bend (Ordered)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It does great in the snow with out 4A. I keep it normal mode, 2H pretty much all winter here in Chicago suburbs. When we do get snow, I still keep it in 2H unless the roads are really covered/snow packed. Even then, it does good enough in 2H. I will occasionally have to flip it to 4H to get going, then usually just flip it back to 2H.

I used slippery mode once when we had snow covered roads/freezing rain mix. Did not care for it.
Thanks for the advice and your experience, I really appreciate it.
Just curious when you put it in slippery mode does it leave the drive train in 2H or does it put you in 4H?
Sponsored

OP
OP
lwilliams34

lwilliams34

Big Bend
First Name
Lorne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Never having a 4x4 vehicle prior to the Bronco and buying a BB I had many of the same anxieties that you have. Compound that with many opinions on a message board and it’s hard to get a lot of confidence.

IMO get out and drive it in conditions you would need it. Experiment with what it feels like with it in 2H versus 4H. Feel your rear wheels losing grip and then put it in 4H and see how your Bronco responds. Get familiar with switching it back and forth on the fly. Understand if road conditions allow high speeds that you likely don’t need it in 4H. Learning a new skill can be scary but once you practice you’ll gain that confidence and will be giving the next person that asks this question the advice you once asked for (I asked this forum the same thing).

Needing to switch between 2H and 4H will make you a better and more aware driver. I wish I had 4A too but I wouldn’t have learned and gotten comfortable with the new skill if I did. Good luck and more important have fun!
Thanks I really appreciate your comments. All of the comments here have given me a balanced perspective and eased by concerns. Really looking forward to getting started with my Bronco. Hoping to complete final pickup this weekend or early next week!

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Another thought here - specifically with the snow.

Your tires probably matter much more than whatever 4W mode you want to use.

OP
OP
lwilliams34

lwilliams34

Big Bend
First Name
Lorne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Another thought here - specifically with the snow.

Your tires probably matter much more than whatever 4W mode you want to use.
agree with that. I have not even researched the stock tires on the big bend I am getting. They are the standard 32"

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

agree with that. I have not even researched the stock tires on the big bend I am getting. They are the standard 32"
Used to be Bridgestone Dueler 255/75R17. Not sure if that's still the case or not though.

Congrats on the score!

Sponsored
OP
OP
lwilliams34

lwilliams34

Big Bend
First Name
Lorne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Used to be Bridgestone Dueler 255/75R17. Not sure if that's still the case or not though.

Congrats on the score!
You are correct sir... just expanded a photo I took..
Ford Bronco Question on Big Bend without 4A 1706828319424

Ford Bronco Question on Big Bend without 4A 1706828363053

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I used to run them on a Ranger and they were good tires.

LSW

Wildtrak
First Name
L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Wildtrak, 2023 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have a 2024 Big Bend that I am taking delivery on this week. I noticed when ordering that the 4a (all wheel drive) feature was not available without ordering the Sasquatch pkg.
For those of you with only the 2H, 4L, 4H options and some selectable GOAT modes, do you regret not getting the 4A feature when it comes to driving in inclement weather? Or is the Bronco pretty capable in snow and slippery conditions without it? I am assuming that on dry normal driving I would be in 2H with the GOAT mode set to Normal or ECO (in town). If I would run into a pretty bad snow storm where the roads were snow covered and slippery, would it be appropriate to put the Bronco into either 4H or the "slippery" GOAT Mode which i believe engages 4H?
My Mazda CX-5 has always on AWD, so i'm used to that type of drive train experience.
Any thoughts or experience would be appreciated.
I did read this article for a reference..
https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/bronco-goat-modes-explained
I know I'm in the minority but I don't think the loss of "4A/advanced 4x4 w/ automatic on-demand engagement" is a huge deal even in winter weather. If it's actually slippery I will go to 4H every time. There is significantly less slipping and sliding that occurs in icy/snowy conditions in 4H compared to 4A, especially if you ever step on the gas while turning. If you have the discpline to go from 4H back to 2H when needed, so that you don't wear out your drivetrain by staying in 4H on dry pavement, you won't miss much. I do have 4A on my OBX, and even with studded winter tires 4A is just not as good as 4H for real winter driving.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I can't say how 4A does on the Bronco.

I know with my tires (MT Baja Legends) - 2H is very squirrely in snow. The rear end loves to kick out, and it doesn't take a lot of snow to do it. But put it in 4H and it's very stable - you have to try to get it to break loose. Haven't had it in anything very deep yet, but that's been my experience up to about 6". I just have to remember when I'm coming down off the mountain to shift it back into 2H as soon as the pavement cleans up.

My wife has a Sport, and had an Explorer before that - both of which have 4A. Those both were very solid all the time. I can't hardly get the Sport to break loose even if I try in Normal driving mode, and if you go into Snow mode on it, the thing just goes all the way until you get deep enough that it's plowing instead of driving.

Sponsored

Bill K

Big Bend
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Big Bend 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have a 2024 Big Bend that I am taking delivery on this week. I noticed when ordering that the 4a (all wheel drive) feature was not available without ordering the Sasquatch pkg.
For those of you with only the 2H, 4L, 4H options and some selectable GOAT modes, do you regret not getting the 4A feature when it comes to driving in inclement weather? Or is the Bronco pretty capable in snow and slippery conditions without it? I am assuming that on dry normal driving I would be in 2H with the GOAT mode set to Normal or ECO (in town). If I would run into a pretty bad snow storm where the roads were snow covered and slippery, would it be appropriate to put the Bronco into either 4H or the "slippery" GOAT Mode which i believe engages 4H?
My Mazda CX-5 has always on AWD, so i'm used to that type of drive train experience.
In my limited experience some of the GOAT modes do a nice job of taking the place of 4A provided you can match them to your driving road conditions. Per the guys at Off Rodeo with these you get the advantage of some other computer aided assists besides just the 4 wheel drive train selection. My 2 cents...

n5mj

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 FSB, '97 Ranger, '03 Sport Trac, '11 SHO
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Don't miss 4A at all. My climate here is less of a threat than the actual pavement. Off road is generally calichi (think limestone, but powdered) or sand, sometimes a foot deep. I ordered the locking rear axle with my BB.

FordFamily4Fun

Black Diamond
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'10 Escape, '16 Explorer, '22 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My '16 Explorer is AWD only. For street driving it has been just fine in up to 6 inches of snow. Could go deeper if I took the plastic front air dam off. My '10 Escape is the old higher-off-the-ground box-like version than the newer version (I think '13 is when the newer crossover look with low-profile tires came out) and it is also AWD only. I took the plastic front air dam off the Escape and it was my primary beach driver for over a decade until I got my BD. With tires aired down that Escape can handle deep and soft sand just fine AWD. It helps that it is a pretty light vehicle. I made sure I had 4A on my BD. My primary off-road is beaches and my BD is just fine 4A on beaches, but if things get sketchy in super soft/deep sand, nice to know I have a higher vehicle with 4L if feeling I'm getting stuck and 4H once moving as some speed is what saves you in tough sand until you get out of it (but make sure you are going slow in low gear if tires spin until you get out of it and then hit 4H). I also notice if I go in sport mode, the BD switches to 4A. I for one am glad I have it. I also have not really noticed a gas mileage difference between 2H and 4A. I could do 4A all the time, but with dry pavement or just standard rain, I stick to 2H. Now, I do intend to get into some tougher trials than just what I drive for hunting, so that is when 4H/4L and a rear locker will come in handy, but for beaches I am paying for higher clearance as 4A handles beaches just fine and I otherwise love the rugged, unique look and history of the Bronco. Also the Escape and Explorer are unibody and basically have soft suspensions made for comfortable street driving. I'm surprised my '10 Escape has held up so long as beach driving can get bouncy and the suspension has bottomed out with surprise ruts/dips more than a few times. Glad I have the BD as I don't feel I need to baby it and worry about ruts/dips at speed. About 20 years ago I rented an Expedition for the beach and really bottomed-out the front end on a sharp dip that surprised me and damaged the radiator and fan. Insurance would not cover it and that cost me, so glad I have skid plates (especially the front one) for the beach on the BD.

Vico

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Thanks for the advice and your experience, I really appreciate it.
Just curious when you put it in slippery mode does it leave the drive train in 2H or does it put you in 4H?
Switching to Slippery mode will auto-swap you to 4H. You can hit the 2H button on the GOAT dial after that to swap it back to 2H, and it will continue to remain in Slippery.

Slippery mode also adjusts the shift points and handling, as far as I can tell it lowers the pedal response a bit to reduce spin, as well as tightens up the steering a bit to deter any wobbles. All the GOAT modes tweak a little of everything like that in their own particular way.

All that being said, you’re in for a treat when you swap to Sport mode for the first time.

Last edited:

FordFamily4Fun

Black Diamond
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'10 Escape, '16 Explorer, '22 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
From the article:

Are G.O.A.T. modes useful?
About as useful as the pre-programmed buttons on your microwave.

My street suspension/street driver unibody AWD only '16 Explorer has similar terrain modes. Not the heavier off-road modes, but the more street use modes and a "trail" mode. The manual says to use "slippery" for snow and light sand. The Explorer is actually quite competent in the snow that it can clear on all-season tires. I found the "slippery" mode did not work as well as "normal" mode in the snow. Perhaps they have improved on the more recent Bronco, but I also think these modes are for people who do not know how to drive in inclement road and especially off-road conditions. They can help a novice learn, but if you have been around, you know what do to. Now, I have not done real heavy off-road. Any comments on "rock crawl" mode having special gearing that helps that you notice as opposed to an experienced driver just knowing low gear (crawl gear in manual - which I have and I don't know if the auto has a crawl gear), both lockers (or the one locker you have), disconnect sway if have it and you are off-road on big rocks?
Sponsored