Question on Big Bend without 4A

lwilliams34

Big Bend
First Name
Lorne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350/2024 Bronco Big Bend (Ordered)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have a 2024 Big Bend that I am taking delivery on this week. I noticed when ordering that the 4a (all wheel drive) feature was not available without ordering the Sasquatch pkg.
For those of you with only the 2H, 4L, 4H options and some selectable GOAT modes, do you regret not getting the 4A feature when it comes to driving in inclement weather? Or is the Bronco pretty capable in snow and slippery conditions without it? I am assuming that on dry normal driving I would be in 2H with the GOAT mode set to Normal or ECO (in town). If I would run into a pretty bad snow storm where the roads were snow covered and slippery, would it be appropriate to put the Bronco into either 4H or the "slippery" GOAT Mode which i believe engages 4H?
My Mazda CX-5 has always on AWD, so i'm used to that type of drive train experience.
Any thoughts or experience would be appreciated.
I did read this article for a reference..
https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/bronco-goat-modes-explained
Sponsored

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2H until you get stuck (unlikely)
4H to get you unstuck
Drop air pressure if you get stuck in 4H

If you reach the last two scenarios there should be Tauntauns running about.

Vico

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Had mine 2.5 years and I haven’t felt like I’m missing out on 4A. It’s easy enough to swap to 4H or Slippery mode when the need arises.

You will probably have to get used to potential rear wheel spin if you gas it hard from a dead stop, coming from your AWD Mazda.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My experience is with 4A and back in 2021 we could get it without Sasquatch. It works well in the background.

You will want to avoid 4H unless there is serious snow/ice. Never on dry or just wet pavement which may give you fits in rainstorms with potential hydroplaning.

You may be able to select Slippery and then shut off 4H as the primary function of Slippery changes shift points

Sponsored

Sparkherd

Badlands
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a Badlands Manuel thee Tranny, 4A.
I fooled around with those goat modes for about a day.
I think they are mainly marketing, but someone scolded me on here, saying they have much more effect with an auto tranny.
We haven't had any seriously inclement weather, just some light ice, but the 4A seems to work amazingly well on pavement stacked with friction reducers.
The term I use is "sticks like glue".

Vico

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
…

You may be able to select Slippery and then shut off 4H as the primary function of Slippery changes shift points
Definitely possible to swap back to 2H in Slippery mode on the BB.

OP
OP
lwilliams34

lwilliams34

Big Bend
First Name
Lorne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thanks for all of the posts! It may take a bit to get used to. It was discouraging that they would not allow me to select it unless i picked SQ pkg which i don't need/want.
If I get in a bad snow storm (I am in WI) I will switch to slippery, but leave in 2H unless no plows are running and I am in deep snow.

OP
OP
lwilliams34

lwilliams34

Big Bend
First Name
Lorne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

2H until you get stuck (unlikely)
4H to get you unstuck
Drop air pressure if you get stuck in 4H

If you reach the last two scenarios there should be Tauntauns running about.
I will be sure to pack a lite saber in the glove box in case I need to open one up and stay warm :)

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks for all of the posts! It may take a bit to get used to. It was discouraging that they would not allow me to select it unless i picked SQ pkg which i don't need/want.
If I get in a bad snow storm (I am in WI) I will switch to slippery, but leave in 2H unless no plows are running and I am in deep snow.
I would never run in rear wheel drive (2H), on a snow covered road in a 4wd vehicle.

Sponsored

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My BB 7MT has the standard tcase. With my wheels and setup - in 2H it gets a little squirrelly in the snow (which can be fun if your expecting it), but in 4H it’s totally solid.

I don’t really use the GOAT modes though - haven’t really played with them too much but I should.

I don’t really regret not having 4A - it’s nice and I wouldn’t have turned it down, but I don’t really miss it.

I’m kinda with @MNBigfoot - if there’s snow I’m in 4H - my goal is to not get stuck in the first place. Even if it’s patchy so long as the road is at least wet I don’t feel bad about using 4H. Dry pavement is a no though, but often if you have one you also have the other - just have to remember to shift out when it does clear up.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would never run in rear wheel drive (2H), on a snow covered road in a 4wd vehicle.
Never is pretty bold.

The point is that you pick the best setting for the conditions.

OP
OP
lwilliams34

lwilliams34

Big Bend
First Name
Lorne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

so 4H is ok on pavement as long as there is snow cover? sorry newbie here... i've always had awd no thinking required.

omi205

Badlands
First Name
BoJack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

so 4H is ok on pavement as long as there is snow cover? sorry newbie here... i've always had awd no thinking required.
4H and 4L should only be used when needed. They are not normal driving "all time on" modes as they are locked. 4A is not locked and can be a "all time on" mode when conditions call for it.

The big considerations with 4H/L is that they are locked and there are speed restrictions you should not exceed. These two are truly intended for off road use. You do not want to have these on while driving around town or even where there is rain and good grip. I would even say snow with pavement (where the tires can get through) is also not a good use for these. Your tires should be slipping when you use 4H/L. That is the main point.

4A is different in the sense that there is no locking mechanism. Meaning the tires on each end can rotate at different speeds. In addition the same speed restrictions do not apply. You can put the Bronco in 4A and drive it like normal. Heavey rain. Light snow. Would be fine. All conditions where you have perfect traction is 2H (Always).
Ford Bronco Question on Big Bend without 4A Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 8.44.13 PM
Sponsored