kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI VW EOS GMC Envoy Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I still don't see how that's even possible when you figure in materials, bending, welding, hole punching, threaded inserts, welding and margin your company has built in. We have a trailer repair shop that does dump trailer repairs, welding, truck frame shortening/lengthening and see what our metal suppliers charge. It's mind blowing to think there's any margin. The original number that popped into my head was $1,500.00 but dismissed it and pulled the $2,200 figure out of my rear.

I bought a frame for my '53 F100 and it was almost $7K.
well, it's economies of scale, combined with enormous price pressure from the OEM's.
Go back to the 08 09 meltdown, ever since that time we have so much pressure from all the OEM's we build for. The game has changed. It has forced us to be so much better at what we do to not only be profitable, but be better than our competitors. We have contract prices set for the program duration, but every year we have to do value added exercises. Which basically means find a better way to build the frame for less money(all suppliers do this). Every year we give back a certain percentage of the negotiated price, whether we find a way to save money or not. In a nutshell our negotiated price goes down every year of the contract, so to maintain margins we have to get better yearly.

I won't share what the number is but yes - it is much lower.
Having said that, the division I'm at processes 1.25 million pounds of steel daily. We take steel coils / blanks, stamp the parts then assemble / weld. Having others do the work costs too much and the quality is better if we do it in house.

This is the way....
Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

well, it's economies of scale, combined with enormous price pressure from the OEM's.
Go back to the 08 09 meltdown, ever since that time we have so much pressure from all the OEM's we build for. The game has changed. It has forced us to be so much better at what we do to not only be profitable, but be better than our competitors. We have contract prices set for the program duration, but every year we have to do value added exercises. Which basically means find a better way to build the frame for less money(all suppliers do this). Every year we give back a certain percentage of the negotiated price, whether we find a way to save money or not. In a nutshell our negotiated price goes down every year of the contract, so to maintain margins we have to get better yearly.

I won't share what the number is but yes - it is much lower.
Having said that, the division I'm at processes 1.25 million pounds of steel daily. We take steel coils / blanks, stamp the parts then assemble / weld. Having others do the work costs too much and the quality is better if we do it in house.

This is the way....
Shit, I'd love to see how all of that comes together.

huey

Badlands
First Name
kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI VW EOS GMC Envoy Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Shit, I'd love to see how all of that comes together.
it pretty wild, I do enjoy the job, and it's a great company
Our automation is pretty slick. However the best sequencing automation you will ever see happens at the vehicle assembly plants. Getting red doors to match the red body with the 2.3 MT, with the right wheels, seats etc etc is incredible.

ZeoBandit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking to buy
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The did say that... I've had the same thought. Not sure how you miss one of the biggest, brightest machines rolling down the road, but it happens.
Two words: Distracted driving

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I still don't see how that's even possible when you figure in materials, bending, welding, hole punching, threaded inserts, welding and margin your company has built in. We have a trailer repair shop that does dump trailer repairs, welding, truck frame shortening/lengthening and see what our metal suppliers charge. It's mind blowing to think there's any margin. The original number that popped into my head was $1,500.00 but dismissed it and pulled the $2,200 figure out of my rear.

I bought a frame for my '53 F100 and it was almost $7K.
I bought my hobbyist MIG welder back in 1998. At that time I could have bought enough rectangular tubing to build my own Jeep frame for under $300.

In fact I was often at the local metal shop buying cheap metal (especially from the extras cut-off bin) for various projects or just for fun welding. It was just all so easy and low cost back then.

Fast forward and good lord, the steel prices have gone through the roof, it's a real bummer. Looking at making some skid plates for my Bronco, exponential increase from what I paid in the past.

China buying steel, tarrifs, mill closures? Something is rotten in terms of steel prices. Dang I'm saving bed frames for re-use of the angle iron. :eek:

Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I bought my hobbyist MIG welder back in 1998. At that time I could have bought enough rectangular tubing to build my own Jeep frame for under $300.

In fact I was often at the local metal shop buying cheap metal (especially from the extras cut-off bin) for various projects or just for fun welding. It was just all so easy and low cost back then.

Fast forward and good lord, the steel prices have gone through the roof, it's a real bummer. Looking at making some skid plates for my Bronco, exponential increase from what I paid in the past.

China buying steel, tarrifs, mill closures? Something is rotten in terms of steel prices. Dang I'm saving bed frames for re-use of the angle iron. :eek:
Dis isn't $7K IMO.
Ford Bronco R.I.P. Raptor - 12/2022-9/2023 new frame

OP
OP
widnere12

widnere12

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Sea Monkey

Black Diamond
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU, Roush 2 Mustang, Triumph T-Bird
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The important thing is, you walked away. Second, and not to be a downer, but I don't see anything career-ending in that. Other than the control arm (and spindle), it looks mostly superficial. Looks like the steel bumper did its job.

Sponsored

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Well, this happened today. Someone made a left-hand turn in front of me and didnt even see me (Not sure how, but thats a different issue.

Quite honestly, It could have been so much worse. I was one of those people that had waited with a day 1 reservation for 2.5 years until arrival, so although i'm nursing a sore wrist, overall, I count everyone lucky.

annnnd....5,4,3,2,1.... Cue up the comments about a Hard Top for sale... LOL

Screenshot 2023-09-19 at 1.52.38 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-09-19 at 1.52.14 PM.png
Can you sell me the steering parts? I will give you non raptor steering back to give to the insurance folks

Last edited:
OP
OP
widnere12

widnere12

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

The important thing is, you walked away. Second, and not to be a downer, but I don't see anything career-ending in that. Other than the control arm (and spindle), it looks mostly superficial. Looks like the steel bumper did its job.
I’m not expecting a total. Just a 2-3 month wait for the repair.

OP
OP
widnere12

widnere12

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

A quick update for anyone that was following this to find out. The frame was damaged and needs to be replaced. Along with the other body parts, so far we are sitting at about $41k in repairs before they begin to take it apart.

With that said, I was told that it likely wont get totaled unless they hit 71% replacement value and right now I am at 40.8%. With those numbers, it looks like insurance is valuing the raptor at about $100k and I am nowhere near a total unless they find a bunch of hidden damage.

Unfortunately tons of parts are not available so it looks like I'm in for a long wait.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good news, bad news I guess. Hopefully they get you back on the road sooner than later.

ZeoBandit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking to buy
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
That stinks. It's going to take a long time to get that rebuilt, and who knows how it will be once it is done.
Sponsored