First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 1979 Trans Am
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
New member, so be gentle if I'm not posting correctly. I took off the lower skid plate and color matching bumper trim and coated them with bed liner paint. I also added vinyl orange letters over the "FORD" on grille. I'm still on the fence with the orange letters, but they look better when the amber daytime lights are on. Both pics are of my 2023 Raptor, just different photo locations.
Ford Bronco Raptor Blackout Skid Plate IMG_20231112_170206
Ford Bronco Raptor Blackout Skid Plate 20231112_165938
Sponsored

2023bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks good. What's funny to me is, there are some guys who are buying the Raptor skids and putting them on non-Raptor Broncos because they want the silver.

The black looks much better, IMHO.

Question -- is the bumper trim gray plastic or is it metal? It's black plastic on the non-Raptors.

OP
OP
KansasRaptor

KansasRaptor

Raptor
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Thanks!

That is funny. I would have assumed some were swapping the plates for metal over plastic; I never thought they were doing it for cosmetics.

The bumper trim is PLASTIC, which is important to note because I made the mistake of spraying with adhesion promoter which caused some issues with the existing paint. Nothing that a little sandpaper didn't fix. In short, sand and primer the plastic and use adhesion promoter on the metal plate itself.

For the bumber trim removal: No special tool needed; it is affixed with black plastic pop out clips and some pressure tabs that require a little finese.

For the skid plate removal: 4 bolts; I think I used 5/8 or 16MM. Quick tip: This thing is heavier than it looks and is a bit cumbersome. I reinstalled it using a floor jack and a piece of cardboard to protect the new paint. This made it super easy to align and bolt back in.

I used the following:
U-POL 0799 Grip#4 Universal Adhesion Promoter
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00397POFC?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Herculiner Aerosol Spray Truck Bed Liner
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KPJVDO2?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

2023bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That is funny. I would have assumed some were swapping the plates for metal over plastic; I never thought they were doing it for cosmetics.
Yep, because they can just as easily buy the non-Raptor plates in black (metal).

Typically you should use adhesion promoter over plastic. But I guess that assumes the plastic hasn't already been coated with something. You could have bought the non-Raptor black plastic covers, but paint is cheap.

OP
OP
KansasRaptor

KansasRaptor

Raptor
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Any idea of the part # for the plastic cover in case the paint doesn't hold up? To your point on plastic, I'm of the same opinion, in fact, I would insist on using the promoter on uncovered plastic. It looked like it was injection molded, not painted, when I sprayed it. It became obvious that I was wrong when the light covering paint on it began reacting.

Sponsored

'18 M2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Warthog
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I too have a black Warthog but prefer the contrast with the silver. Did you ppf the vehicle?

OP
OP
KansasRaptor

KansasRaptor

Raptor
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I didn't. I've had it for 5 days, after waiting a year for delivery. Do you recomend protecting the front part of the hood, or more than that?

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Looks great, I'm planning to also paint the tow loops black.

Sponsored

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Send pics when done, please. I'm thinking of doing the same.
No need to wait for me.

This beauty was posted here on b6g quite some time ago. A EU truck, IIRC. I think this EG with matte PPF and the blacked out front is the best color combo I've seen.

I also much prefer the smooth paint/bedliner rather than textured. I'm sure the texture additive does not make the paint more durable, so its all about aesthetic preference.

Ford Bronco Raptor Blackout Skid Plate 85CA7FAB-008C-4CF9-B572-FF437BDAF5FC

Bschurr

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Braptor / 2023 Heritage LE / 2016 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Nice work @KansasRaptor
I just picked up my Shadow Black Raptor a week ago as well and I need to correct the huge hunk of silver in the front of an otherwise dark & menacing rig!
Thanks for the inspiration!

RowsKing

Raptor
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BRaptor, 66 Stang
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

No need to wait for me.

This beauty was posted here on b6g quite some time ago. A EU truck, IIRC. I think this EG with matte PPF and the blacked out front is the best color combo I've seen.

I also much prefer the smooth paint/bedliner rather than textured. I'm sure the texture additive does not make the paint more durable, so its all about aesthetic preference.

Ford Bronco Raptor Blackout Skid Plate 85CA7FAB-008C-4CF9-B572-FF437BDAF5FC
Mind telling me which bed liner paint you used? The color match looks great and I prefer that smooth finish of yours.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I will probably get mine power coated at some point after its more tore up.

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Mind telling me which bed liner paint you used? The color match looks great and I prefer that smooth finish of yours.
Again, not my rig...

I'm planning to use Duraback-18 when I get mine, it fared very well in an independent comparison test on YouTube.
Sponsored