Sponsored

Raspberry PI module computer....the future of do-it-yourself is here???

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I run 5 of them in my home brewery. One runs the brewing system, two of them control the fermentation temperature on our two fermenters, one is monitoring fermentation specific gravities and controls the brewery general information monitor. The last one runs a tap list….

a.smith

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I dunno. I have a ton of Raspberry Pis. I mess around with micro controllers and have done some hobby software and hardware work with CAN bus. That thing is 900 bucks and all it appears to be is a breakout board for a Pi. It has an MCP2515 chip that costs about $4 already soldered onto a breakout board from Amazon. I'm not sure what else it can do, but I suspect that if you have the technical knowledge to make things happen over CAN, you have the ability to design and manufacture a PCB that's suited to your custom project for a hell of a lot less than $900. The PCB design is the easy part.

OP
OP
BigMeatsBronco

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

yeah it appears to only have limited features and is vague about what exactly it is capable of.

Fasteddy

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2 Door, 1992 F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would not say there limited, I have several running various tasks ranging from from alarm / snmp monitoring that sends text to phone to using a model 4 as a desktop computer.

Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I use a Raspberry Pi to read CAN bus messages in the Bronco to figure out how it all works. In the past I had a Raspberry Pi run a Bluetooth interface so I could connect my phone to my old Focus’ audio system. Made a garage door opener out of one of them once, just silly fun projects.

I think it’s an awesome idea, but electronics in vehicles are designed to operate in a wide variety of temperature ranges, various humidities, different operating voltages, different shock loads, etc. to ensure relative reliability. The Raspberry Pi’s are not designed for those environments, so I wouldn’t use it for anything mission critical. My Bluetooth Raspberry Pi, for example, died in the summer heat a few years back despite me adding cooling to it.

But for fun little side projects or non-mission critical additions to your Bronco… sure! Go for it.

CarGuy

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Additionally, you will need to create an interface to keep it all up-to-date on code revisions/patches. Wired should be straight forward. Once you get into wireless (WI-FI, BT, cellular, etc.) you need to have additional protections and that’s when it gets a bit hairy.

OP
OP
BigMeatsBronco

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I use a Raspberry Pi to read CAN bus messages in the Bronco to figure out how it all works. In the past I had a Raspberry Pi run a Bluetooth interface so I could connect my phone to my old Focus’ audio system. Made a garage door opener out of one of them once, just silly fun projects.

I think it’s an awesome idea, but electronics in vehicles are designed to operate in a wide variety of temperature ranges, various humidities, different operating voltages, different shock loads, etc. to ensure relative reliability. The Raspberry Pi’s are not designed for those environments, so I wouldn’t use it for anything mission critical. My Bluetooth Raspberry Pi, for example, died in the summer heat a few years back despite me adding cooling to it.

But for fun little side projects or non-mission critical additions to your Bronco… sure! Go for it.
wow sounds awesome, I'll have to buy one soon and catch up with all you guys. lol.

OrangecrushBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

yeah it appears to only have limited features and is vague about what exactly it is capable of.
If that is your rig In your photo I have to ask where you got your front cab only top and/or if you fab'd it. That's straight up bad ass!!!

Cobrafang

Wildtrak
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
OP
OP