First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands Non-Squatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Since Rough Country claims that the hidden winch kit doesn't work with the Capable bumper, I figured I would document my experience installing a Warn VR Evo 12-S using the Rough Country hidden mount kit on my Badlands, equipped with the Capable bumper. I also had to make some changes to other parts of the install to make everything work right on the 2.7 since the transmission cooler needs to be relocated.

Rough County isn't the highest quality stuff out there, but I don't know of anyone making a hidden winch setup for the 2.7 that's this clean looking and doesn't involve new bumpers, blocking the factory intercooler, etc. That being said, I had some small issues with the kit that needed addressing to make everything work correctly:

1) The relocation bracket for the transmission cooler interferes with the flaps/louvers behind the intercooler. It is my understanding that some Broncos do not have these louvers (earlier models I assume). I've seen people simply remove and discard these louvers/flaps, but that's a hack way of doing it in my opinion. The purpose of the flaps is to allow the radiator fan to pull air through the intercooler when the vehicle isn't moving fast enough to push air through and open the flaps. If you do choose to remove the louvers, there is a huge gap left in the bottom of radiator fan shroud. If you don't make a block-off for this gap, the fan can't effectively pull air through the radiator and condenser when the vehicle is still or at low speeds. This is certainly a bigger issue than just not pulling air though the intercooler (arguably the intercooler doesn't have a large heat load at low speed unless you using heavy throttle for some reason). Bottom line; you either have to move the transmission cooler so that the flaps still work as intended, or you need to fix the gap at the bottom of the radiator shroud after removing the louvers. I chose to modify the cooler further than what Rough Country has you do in their instructions, so that it can be mounted further back by about an inch, allowing the flaps to open.

2) None of the holes in the winch mount lined up with the holes in the frame where it mounts. I just had to dremel out the mount holes so that it would line up.

The only mod needed to make this kit work with the Capable bumper was to trim the lip on the front of the new skidplate so that it clears the bottom inside lip of the bumper (arguably this wasn't even needed, more on that later)

Here is the transmission cooler after the rear tabs are cut off per the kit instructions. I couldn't even mount it since the louvers are in the way, but just note the length of the front tabs.
Ford Bronco RC hidden winch mount install, 2.7 w/ "capable" bumper & Warn VR Evo 20240109_171516

This shows how much further back I moved the mount isolators before trimming the ends.
Ford Bronco RC hidden winch mount install, 2.7 w/ "capable" bumper & Warn VR Evo 20240109_181057

Here is the isolators removed and the extra length cut off. Basically just had to make new holes further back on the tabs for the isolators.
Ford Bronco RC hidden winch mount install, 2.7 w/ "capable" bumper & Warn VR Evo 20240109_190656

And here it is installed. I trimmed the RC mount by probably about 1.5" and drilled new holes. Note that there is now room for the flaps to operated as intended. This is as far back as I could move the cooler from where RC has you mount it. I ended up flipping the nuts to the top side since the bolts hit the winch when they're installed as shown.
Ford Bronco RC hidden winch mount install, 2.7 w/ "capable" bumper & Warn VR Evo 20240110_160600

Ford Bronco RC hidden winch mount install, 2.7 w/ "capable" bumper & Warn VR Evo 20240110_160612

Ford Bronco RC hidden winch mount install, 2.7 w/ "capable" bumper & Warn VR Evo 20240110_160643

Since the cooler is moved back from where it's supposed to be, I had to bend the cooler oil lines a bit so that the hoses had a decent bend radius and nothing would kink. Just minor tweaks needed but it's something to pay attention to.
Ford Bronco RC hidden winch mount install, 2.7 w/ "capable" bumper & Warn VR Evo 20240110_170946

Here are the holes that didn't line up (one side shown, the other side was the same). It wasn't a lot but enough that the bolts wouldn't go in.
Ford Bronco RC hidden winch mount install, 2.7 w/ "capable" bumper & Warn VR Evo 20240110_215935

Ford Bronco RC hidden winch mount install, 2.7 w/ "capable" bumper & Warn VR Evo 20240110_215940

Once all this is addressed, the next issue was the control box for the winch. Without the intercooler louvers (those damn things are in the way again), the control box can simply be shifted to the side similar to shown here. This isn't Rough Country's fault since they didn't design the kit for this winch but the Warns are popular for people to install anyways.
Ford Bronco RC hidden winch mount install, 2.7 w/ "capable" bumper & Warn VR Evo 20240110_212807

An additional issue with installing the control box there is that it's very difficult to connect the winch controller for a backup incase the wireless function for the remote fails. I ended up relocating the control box to a space under the airbox. I designed a mounting bracket in CAD and had it made. Worked perfectly.
Ford Bronco RC hidden winch mount install, 2.7 w/ "capable" bumper & Warn VR Evo 20240118_145325

Ford Bronco RC hidden winch mount install, 2.7 w/ "capable" bumper & Warn VR Evo 20240210_164814

These are views from the side and bottom (with the fender liner removed) of the control box mounted. I'll shift some things a tad and maybe change the design a bit if I do any more, but I'm super happy with it overall.
Ford Bronco RC hidden winch mount install, 2.7 w/ "capable" bumper & Warn VR Evo 20240210_213757

Ford Bronco RC hidden winch mount install, 2.7 w/ "capable" bumper & Warn VR Evo 20240210_213735

I had to make longer cables to connect the control box to the winch, but the power and ground cables that came with the winch were literally the perfect length to run to the battery. Here are the power cables ran to the battery, with the radiator fan shroud removed.
Ford Bronco RC hidden winch mount install, 2.7 w/ "capable" bumper & Warn VR Evo 20240210_222636

Here is a view of the control box with everything put back together. The second picture shows the controller cable plugged in. I didn't run a cable permanently since I'll just use the wireless function, and there's decent room for me to reach down and plug the cable in if I have a wireless failure.
Ford Bronco RC hidden winch mount install, 2.7 w/ "capable" bumper & Warn VR Evo 20240211_184249

Ford Bronco RC hidden winch mount install, 2.7 w/ "capable" bumper & Warn VR Evo 20240211_184420

I highlighted where the RC skid plate lip used to be. I cut the entire lip off since it was east to do a straight cut along the bend, but you could have left some lip if you wanted to. Earlier, I mentioned that cutting the lip may not have been needed. This is because the kit comes with spacers to push the bumper out. There's 2 spacer plates for each side, but with the lip cut I only needed one. It may be possible to not cut the lip if you use 2 spacers, but I can't confirm this as I didn't try it.
Ford Bronco RC hidden winch mount install, 2.7 w/ "capable" bumper & Warn VR Evo 20240224_201649

Here's the proof it works with this bumper. I installed a Factor 55 FlatLink instead of the hook since this picture was taken.
Ford Bronco RC hidden winch mount install, 2.7 w/ "capable" bumper & Warn VR Evo 20240211_185557
Sponsored

Last edited:

FordOwner

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a few
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Congrats on the install and thanks for the great documentation.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

very nice, thanks. Ill.add that you can put the winch controlls an your Broncos Main screen with a Carlinkit media box. download the warn app to the device, sync Bluetooth to winch remote and whiz-bang you have winch controls on Mainscreen.

Dorf2point0

Big Bend
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer, 2005 Explorer, 2013 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Since Rough Country claims that the hidden winch kit doesn't work with the Capable bumper, I figured I would document my experience installing a Warn VR Evo 12-S using the Rough Country hidden mount kit on my Badlands, equipped with the Capable bumper. I also had to make some changes to other parts of the install to make everything work right on the 2.7 since the transmission cooler needs to be relocated.

Rough County isn't the highest quality stuff out there, but I don't know of anyone making a hidden winch setup for the 2.7 that's this clean looking and doesn't involve new bumpers, blocking the factory intercooler, etc. That being said, I had some small issues with the kit that needed addressing to make everything work correctly:

1) The relocation bracket for the transmission cooler interferes with the flaps/louvers behind the intercooler. It is my understanding that some Broncos do not have these louvers (earlier models I assume). I've seen people simply remove and discard these louvers/flaps, but that's a hack way of doing it in my opinion. The purpose of the flaps is to allow the radiator fan to pull air through the intercooler when the vehicle isn't moving fast enough to push air through and open the flaps. If you do choose to remove the louvers, there is a huge gap left in the bottom of radiator fan shroud. If you don't make a block-off for this gap, the fan can't effectively pull air through the radiator and condenser when the vehicle is still or at low speeds. This is certainly a bigger issue than just not pulling air though the intercooler (arguably the intercooler doesn't have a large heat load at low speed unless you using heavy throttle for some reason). Bottom line; you either have to move the transmission cooler so that the flaps still work as intended, or you need to fix the gap at the bottom of the radiator shroud after removing the louvers. I chose to modify the cooler further than what Rough Country has you do in their instructions, so that it can be mounted further back by about an inch, allowing the flaps to open.

2) None of the holes in the winch mount lined up with the holes in the frame where it mounts. I just had to dremel out the mount holes so that it would line up.

The only mod needed to make this kit work with the Capable bumper was to trim the lip on the front of the new skidplate so that it clears the bottom inside lip of the bumper (arguably this wasn't even needed, more on that later)

Here is the transmission cooler after the rear tabs are cut off per the kit instructions. I couldn't even mount it since the louvers are in the way, but just note the length of the front tabs.
Ford Bronco RC hidden winch mount install, 2.7 w/ "capable" bumper & Warn VR Evo 20240211_185557

This shows how much further back I moved the mount isolators before trimming the ends.

Here is the isolators removed and the extra length cut off. Basically just had to make new holes further back on the tabs for the isolators.

And here it is installed. I trimmed the RC mount by probably about 1.5" and drilled new holes. Note that there is now room for the flaps to operated as intended. This is as far back as I could move the cooler from where RC has you mount it. I ended up flipping the nuts to the top side since the bolts hit the winch when they're installed as shown.

Since the cooler is moved back from where it's supposed to be, I had to bend the cooler oil lines a bit so that the hoses had a decent bend radius and nothing would kink. Just minor tweaks needed but it's something to pay attention to.

Here are the holes that didn't line up (one side shown, the other side was the same). It wasn't a lot but enough that the bolts wouldn't go in.

Once all this is addressed, the next issue was the control box for the winch. Without the intercooler louvers (those damn things are in the way again), the control box can simply be shifted to the side similar to shown here. This isn't Rough Country's fault since they didn't design the kit for this winch but the Warns are popular for people to install anyways.

An additional issue with installing the control box there is that it's very difficult to connect the winch controller for a backup incase the wireless function for the remote fails. I ended up relocating the control box to a space under the airbox. I designed a mounting bracket in CAD and had it made. Worked perfectly.

These are views from the side and bottom (with the fender liner removed) of the control box mounted. I'll shift some things a tad and maybe change the design a bit if I do any more, but I'm super happy with it overall.

I had to make longer cables to connect the control box to the winch, but the power and ground cables that came with the winch were literally the perfect length to run to the battery. Here are the power cables ran to the battery, with the radiator fan shroud removed.

Here is a view of the control box with everything put back together. The second picture shows the controller cable plugged in. I didn't run a cable permanently since I'll just use the wireless function, and there's decent room for me to reach down and plug the cable in if I have a wireless failure.

I highlighted where the RC skid plate lip used to be. I cut the entire lip off since it was east to do a straight cut along the bend, but you could have left some lip if you wanted to. Earlier, I mentioned that cutting the lip may not have been needed. This is because the kit comes with spacers to push the bumper out. There's 2 spacer plates for each side, but with the lip cut I only needed one. It may be possible to not cut the lip if you use 2 spacers, but I can't confirm this as I didn't try it.

Here's the proof it works with this bumper. I installed a Factor 55 FlatLink instead of the hook since this picture was taken.
Super duper play by play.. Thank you sharing..

Sponsored

artart88

Black Diamond
First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I installed the clone kit from eBay (exactly the same design and steel thickness as the RC) on my 4-cyl BD with the Capable bumper.
It was pretty much plug and play. I did not need the gap filler for the front of the skid plate. I did not use the shim plates but I could not get the bumper as high as it was originally because it was hitting the front end of the skid plate. I'm going to remove the bumper and put in one or both of the shims.
I had no problem with bolt holes not lining up. Also the kit does not come with the two M10-1.5 bolts needed for the new skid plate. There are two or three videos on YouTube of installs of the RC kit on Broncos with the Capable bumper.
This is the kit on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3257395171...6Mu2swFQwu&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Photos of my 23 BD with the winch installed:
Ford Bronco RC hidden winch mount install, 2.7 w/ "capable" bumper & Warn VR Evo 1000001867

Ford Bronco RC hidden winch mount install, 2.7 w/ "capable" bumper & Warn VR Evo 1000001868

I know some of you are saying don't buy eBay junk but this kit is clearly exactly the same as what RC sells and is probably made by the same company that makes the RC kit.
One caveat for you V6 owners, the eBay kit does not come with the extra parts needed for installation on a V6 Bronco. Probably not hard to duplicate though.

1000001868.jpg

Reactions: LCW

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like the super-relocation of the box! I guess my laziness prevented me from even thinking about it, haha.

Great write-up! I have it and the F55 flatlink too, good stuff.

I keep putting off making an extension for the clutch release. Post up if you design/fabricate one you like. 4runner guys did this and I have seen modified sockets at the end of extensions, etc.
Ford Bronco RC hidden winch mount install, 2.7 w/ "capable" bumper & Warn VR Evo 1000009881

I currently carry a trail-rated sprinkler valve key, lol.

SasBLSven

Badlands
First Name
Steen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi Q7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So, does this mean I can bring mine to you and you'll install it for me? 🤔😁🤞

fourdayoff

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands/sasquatch 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Lol, I try and shy away from this much work unless for yours truly. Jim.

Sponsored
OP
OP
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands Non-Squatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I installed the clone kit from eBay (exactly the same design and steel thickness as the RC) on my 4-cyl BD with the Capable bumper.
It was pretty much plug and play. I did not need the gap filler for the front of the skid plate. I did not use the shim plates but I could not get the bumper as high as it was originally because it was hitting the front end of the skid plate. I'm going to remove the bumper and put in one or both of the shims.
I had no problem with bolt holes not lining up. Also the kit does not come with the two M10-1.5 bolts needed for the new skid plate. There are two or three videos on YouTube of installs of the RC kit on Broncos with the Capable bumper.
This is the kit on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3257395171...6Mu2swFQwu&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Photos of my 23 BD with the winch installed:
Ford Bronco RC hidden winch mount install, 2.7 w/ "capable" bumper & Warn VR Evo 1000009881

I know some of you are saying don't buy eBay junk but this kit is clearly exactly the same as what RC sells and is probably made by the same company that makes the RC kit.
One caveat for you V6 owners, the eBay kit does not come with the extra parts needed for installation on a V6 Bronco. Probably not hard to duplicate though.

Nice, that actually looks exactly like the previous design of the RC kit before they made it fit the V6 models. There are a few differences (multi-piece winch mount and a different skid plate) The old design like yours sits up a little tighter for more ground clearance so it's actually a better option for the 4-cylinder guys in my opinion.

artart88

Black Diamond
First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Interesting. So far so good.

OP
OP
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands Non-Squatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like the super-relocation of the box! I guess my laziness prevented me from even thinking about it, haha.

Great write-up! I have it and the F55 flatlink too, good stuff.

I keep putting off making an extension for the clutch release. Post up if you design/fabricate one you like. 4runner guys did this and I have seen modified sockets at the end of extensions, etc.
1000009881.jpg

I currently carry a trail-rated sprinkler valve key, lol.
Nice, I decided I can get by without the clutch release for now. I did re-clock the winch so the release lever is on the front of the winch. The thought was that I can drill a hole through the front skidplate and use an extension through that way instead of trying to make something that is under the hood and has to reach all the way down to the winch.

BroncoGT500

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Shelby GT500 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My son and I installed the RC hidden winch on my 2022 badlands with capable bumper yesterday. No issues just took time and thinking. Very happy, I got it from kids for birthday in July. Could my of done without my son. I would have probably just stored it in garage, having read everything saying it can’t be done. Thanks Nick I You said we were CAPABLE!!!!!!!
Sponsored

Last edited: