Sponsored

RCI Off Road Full Length Roof Rack - Anyone using it?

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The old mounts (that I had previously from when I purchased in January of this year) didn’t locate the front wind fairing far enough down near the windshield. As a result I was getting a vicious wind flutter at highway speed. I modified my old mounts to make it fit lower/tighter in the front and it works great but the new mounts are designed to be like that from the factory. They had no problem shipping me new mounts just had to ask. Everything shipping now (and presumably from about late Feb-on) will have the new mounts.
Interesting. Mind shooting a pic side by side?

I’m installing the Air Designs A-Pillar appearance package - it should fit under fairing with the new mount. But, curious if it doesn’t - if that would help.

Pics to come.
Sponsored

V1Rotate

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Interesting. Mind shooting a pic side by side?

I’m installing the Air Designs A-Pillar appearance package - it should fit under fairing with the new mount. But, curious if it doesn’t - if that would help.

Pics to come.
I haven’t installed the new mounts yet and am headed out on a trip today for a couple days so won’t have a chance to do any side to side comparison until later in the week. I can snap some comparisons when I swap them out.. if you end up wanting to try out my old mounts if the new ones don’t fit your setup like you want them to you’re welcome to them when I get them off. I’ll keep you posted

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You rock. Thanks. Safe travels. I’m mounting mine up tomorrow. I’ll report back.

From looking at your video - it looks like they made the upper mounting location on the body a bit adjustable - instead of a circle hole - it’s oblong and there is an extra hole where the fairing mounts.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
SO BUMMED - got everything ready to mount the main section to the half rack (which I’ve been driving around with for a week) and realized I’m missing these 4 brackets in my hardware kit…

Ford Bronco RCI Off Road Full Length Roof Rack - Anyone using it? 6FA758FE-AC15-41CC-97B6-A41D5236C36C

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’ve been having a bit of a challenge finding t-slot hardware that works with the rack. I got some 1/4 x 20 from McMaster-Carr and while they worked ok for the awning brackets - they seemed to catch the edge by the tiniest bit. They offer various sizes - but, I don’t need the button head bolts for other applications. Just the nut itself.

I am looking into options to mount GFC Quick Release which require countersunk bolts - and I received tiny M5 and the M6 is too large. I just wanted to ensure a solid grip on the crossbar.

Ford Bronco RCI Off Road Full Length Roof Rack - Anyone using it? IMG_3783

Ford Bronco RCI Off Road Full Length Roof Rack - Anyone using it? IMG_3864

What are y’all running?

Sponsored

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think I may have found the correct T-Slot Ball Spring Nuts…the ones I hastily ordered based on M size (5, 6 & 8) not considering the nut measurements itself were only 8mm for the 5 and 13 mm for the 6 and 8. I found some in the same M thread sizes - but, the nut itself is 10-11mm. I’ll report back on which work best. I’d like some beefy bolts holding down the quick release mounts.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Do they fit through the openings of the tslot beams or did you remove them? I’m having trouble finding some eyebolts anchors that fit the opening. I want some that I can easily remove and install.
Man, I bought SO much hardware until I found the right ones. I wasn’t into those that I linked because they’re not stainless. Let me dig up the links on what I ended up with. I actually need to remove everything from my test fit and reinstall with stainless or coated hardware. I already went to the beach once - luckily it’s pretty dry out right now.

Edit:
These are the nuts:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0C346FNZW?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

So, as long as you have 1/4”x20 eyebolts - they’ll slide right in. You just don’t want anything longer than 1/2” threads.

These “should” work - but, it doesn’t say how long the threads are:
https://www.amazon.com/USWELDWIRE-P...1686224159&sprefix=1/4"x20+eye,aps,126&sr=8-7

Last edited:

Allenm7

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Man, I bought SO much hardware until I found the right ones. I wasn’t into those that I linked because they’re not stainless. Let me dig up the links on what I ended up with. I actually need to remove everything from my test fit and reinstall with stainless or coated hardware. I already went to the beach once - luckily it’s pretty dry out right now.

Edit:
These are the nuts:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0C346FNZW?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

So, as long as you have 1/4”x20 eyebolts - they’ll slide right in. You just don’t want anything longer than 1/2” threads.

These “should” work - but, it doesn’t say how long the threads are:
https://www.amazon.com/USWELDWIRE-P...1686224159&sprefix=1/4"x20+eye,aps,126&sr=8-7

IMG_2856.jpeg

Bit long but it works. Thx for the links.

Sponsored

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ford Bronco RCI Off Road Full Length Roof Rack - Anyone using it? IMG_2856

Bit long but it works. Thx for the links.
That’s the eye bolt I linked? I’d be worried about depending on that for strength. You want the base of that to sandwich the crossbar. Is the only thing holding that in place the threaded end of the eyebolt in the channel?

Allenm7

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That’s the eye bolt I linked? I’d be worried about depending on that for strength. You want the base of that to sandwich the crossbar. Is the only thing holding that in place the threaded end of the eyebolt in the channel?

Gotcha. Yeah that’s the one you linked. The channel is very shallow. I’ll keep looking for a shorter eyelet that’s 1/4.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Gotcha. Yeah that’s the one you linked. The channel is very shallow. I’ll keep looking for a shorter eyelet that’s 1/4.
Now I’m gonna go down another rabbit hole. Haha. I’ll let you what what I find. McMaster only has 1” shank.

Allenm7

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Now I’m gonna go down another rabbit hole. Haha. I’ll let you what what I find. McMaster only has 1” shank.
i emailed Rci. They suggested

“The T-slots in our roof rack crossbars can accept 1/4" carriage bolts, so I would just pick up a couple of those, slide the head into the extrusion and then thread a 1/4" threaded eye hook onto the threads of the carriage bolt.”

it didn’t work out for me tho. The square sticks out too much. Didn’t latch on.

Ford Bronco RCI Off Road Full Length Roof Rack - Anyone using it? IMG_2894

doyouglas

Black Diamond
First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yes, just put on last week. Really impressed with the rack. Not hard to install, I had a few senior moments but figured it out. Haven't put anything on it but will be using in the spring.

There is a longer thread on it. https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/rci-modular-roof-rack-now-available.55098/post-1738629

Also impressed with the few skids I bought from them. Very reasonable especially with the holiday sale.

Can you post a picture of how you have the lightbar attached? I've seen video of someone have their lightbar 7 inches behind the fairing. Wondering if it was the same for you. I saw this youtube video of it here

Lasfit 42” Off-Road Light Bar Installation 2021-2022 Bronco - YouTube

at 2:00 mark
Sponsored