First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@bronco_ed How is the setup holding up? Has the carrier sagged any or needed further adjustment post the washer shimming? Also, how much sag in the rear with the LOD setup?

So far all is good. Nothing has loosened up. It has stayed where I set as... I actually ordered the storage rack a few days ago...(Delivery is planned for next week) I bought this accessory first, I figured I can toss up a gas can on the rack if I want to haul some gas around. IMO the bumper has almost leveled the vehicle. It is not sagging.

PS-I have not taken it off road with the set up (Yet) I think I have decided that I will just add a brake light on the spare tire and may end up buying their license plate mount. I am still waiting on the license plate mount, I want to see if I end up leaving the rack on full time. If I do I may put it on the rack.

I have not really used the swing rack apart from the tailgate I have used the old wiring... I did not want to splice the harness, I wanted to see if I can locate some OEM plug ends and make an extension before doing so.

One negative comment... I do not exactly like the side profile, It allows some of the stock plastic to show. I will eventually do something. I am currently thinking of fabbing a bolt on cap and use some Ford Bronco bolts to hold on to make it look more like the Ford front steel bumper.

No hurry for anything as it is working for what I intended it for...

-Ed
Sponsored

Last edited:

Chritaka

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 WildTrak; '06 Whippl'd Mustang (sold4upgrades)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So far all is good. Nothing has loosened up. It has stayed where I set as... I actually ordered the storage rack a few days ago...(Delivery is planned for next week) I bought this accessory first, I figured I can toss up a gas can on the rack if I want to haul some gas around. IMO the bumper has almost leveled the vehicle. It is not sagging.

PS-I have not taken it off road with the set up (Yet) I think I have decided that I will just add a brake light on the spare tire and may end up buying their license plate mount. I am still waiting on the license plate mount, I want to see if I end up leaving the rack on full time. If I do I may put it on the rack.

I have not really used the swing rack apart from the tailgate I have used the old wiring... I did not want to splice the harness, I wanted to see if I can locate some OEM plug ends and make an extension before doing so.

One negative comment... I do not exactly like the side profile, It allows some of the stock plastic to show. I will eventually do something. I am currently thinking of fabbing a bolt on cap and use some Ford Bronco bolts to hold on to make it look more like the Ford front steel bumper.

No hurry for anything as it is working for what I intended it for...

-Ed
Thanks for the update. Yes, I noticed the plastic showing as well and do not like that... I feel like they should have extended the ends a couple inches to ensure that was covered.

Might check out this DV8 option for the license plate and light, which I ordered already as it can be used with any setup given how it attaches to the tailgate.

Ford Bronco Rear Bumper show off thread 1685548876703

I still have concerns over time with how the tire carrier attaches to the bumper for the LOD, and that the side plastics are exposed. The most attachments and trail basket could be handy, but not sure I need all that... This look would match the look of my SRQ front winch bumper the most (shipping any day). Built-in tow hitch. It weighs 180 lbs.... Days in lead time.

The Road Armor Stealth, their spindle mounted to the frame is more solid. Rotopax/Jerry can and Hi-lift bracket options. However, the tire sits too high and need a high offset wheel or a wheel spacer to work per the work @broncorik did to get his to his liking. I have 17x9 0 offset wheels otw so this shouldn't be an issue.

I also don't like their camera/license plate relocate to the spare so I'd have to mod for this and for the tire sitting too high like @broncorik did... I was thinking I might be able to reuse the OEM camera housing like Expedition one does and sandwich it between the mounting plate and tire with some starlock washers or diy plate. weighs 178lbs... 90 day lead time. Design is somewhere in the middle of LOD and Expedition One...

From the Expedition One install guide:

Ford Bronco Rear Bumper show off thread 1685549324449

The Expedition One setup, I like the spindle is welded on top and a single unit with the bumper. Is there an advantage to a 2 piece design? Rotopax/Jerry can and Hi-lift bracket options. Need to mod for a 3rd brake light since a relocate isn't included, easy mod though. Bumper just appears too thick and chunky, with about the same clearance as OEM... If it was just a bit more trim... 6-12 week lead time...

Last edited:

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for the update. Yes, I noticed the plastic showing as well and do not like that... I feel like they should have extended the ends a couple inches to ensure that was covered.

Might check out this DV8 option for the license plate and light, which I ordered already as it can be used with any setup given how it attaches to the tailgate.

I still have concerns over time with how the tire carrier attaches to the bumper for the LOD, and that the side plastics are exposed. The most attachments and trail basket could be handy, but not sure I need all that... This look would match the look of my SRQ front winch bumper the most (shipping any day). Built-in tow hitch. It weighs 180 lbs.... Days in lead time.

The Road Armor Stealth, their spindle mounted to the frame is more solid. Rotopax/Jerry can and Hi-lift bracket options. However, the tire sits too high and need a high offset wheel or a wheel spacer to work per the work @broncorik did to get his to his liking. I have 17x9 0 offset wheels otw so this shouldn't be an issue.

I also don't like their camera/license plate relocate to the spare so I'd have to mod for this and for the tire sitting too high like @broncorik did... I was thinking I might be able to reuse the OEM camera housing like Expedition one does and sandwich it between the mounting plate and tire with some starlock washers or diy plate. weighs 178lbs... 90 day lead time. Design is somewhere in the middle of LOD and Expedition One...

From the Expedition One install guide:

The Expedition One setup, I like the spindle is welded on top and a single unit with the bumper. Is there an advantage to a 2 piece design? Rotopax/Jerry can and Hi-lift bracket options. Need to mod for a 3rd brake light since a relocate isn't included, easy mod though. Bumper just appears too thick and chunky, with about the same clearance as OEM... If it was just a bit more trim... 6-12 week lead time...
I finally got mine all dialed in and I am liking it... I also sourced the super cool off-road shovel from back East that straps to my Raptor hinges and I have the 4 gallon fuel carrier and a 1.5 gallon water carrier all tucked nicely without taking up my entire rear window. I also found the perfect license plate combo with LED brake light and license plate light...it took some work but there was really nothing else out there that wouldn't have taken some tweaks to get it to my liking. It was somewhat of a pain in the ass to have to fabricate a bracket to lower the wheel location but I have found that just about every setup out there places the tire up really high to provide the best departure angle. If I do something off-road that's anticipated to be gnarly I can simply swap the brackets out in about 10 minutes... But in my humble opinion I'd rather drive around on the roads the majority of my time with as much back window visibility as I can get. On a similar note I don't run a winch because I haven't found a setup yet that doesn't block the area that Ford specifically indicates should not be blocked...I'd like a winch, but that would mean relocating a bunch of stuff in front in order for me to feel better about not restricting cooling for the turbos. I'd rather pay to have somebody recover my vehicle if I'm by myself and don't have a winch then I would have for deny a warranty because I blocked the intercooler. For those of you who are going with a swing I'll carrier I highly recommend the M2M tailgate limiter...I recently installed mine and it works like a charm to keep my tailgate from stopping at 90°.

20230531_110928.jpg
20230531_110921.jpg

Chritaka

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 WildTrak; '06 Whippl'd Mustang (sold4upgrades)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I finally got mine all dialed in and I am liking it... I also sourced the super cool off-road shovel from back East that straps to my Raptor hinges and I have the 4 gallon fuel carrier and a 1.5 gallon water carrier all tucked nicely without taking up my entire rear window. I also found the perfect license plate combo with LED brake light and license plate light...it took some work but there was really nothing else out there that wouldn't have taken some tweaks to get it to my liking. It was somewhat of a pain in the ass to have to fabricate a bracket to lower the wheel location but I have found that just about every setup out there places the tire up really high to provide the best departure angle. If I do something off-road that's anticipated to be gnarly I can simply swap the brackets out in about 10 minutes... But in my humble opinion I'd rather drive around on the roads the majority of my time with as much back window visibility as I can get. On a similar note I don't run a winch because I haven't found a setup yet that doesn't block the area that Ford specifically indicates should not be blocked...I'd like a winch, but that would mean relocating a bunch of stuff in front in order for me to feel better about not restricting cooling for the turbos. I'd rather pay to have somebody recover my vehicle if I'm by myself and don't have a winch then I would have for deny a warranty because I blocked the intercooler. For those of you who are going with a swing I'll carrier I highly recommend the M2M tailgate limiter...I recently installed mine and it works like a charm to keep my tailgate from stopping at 90°.

Ford Bronco Rear Bumper show off thread 20230531_110921
Ford Bronco Rear Bumper show off thread 20230531_110921
Glad you finally got it all dialed in! Looks good.
QQ - What did you end up doing with your camera, is it hidden below the license plate bracket? I really didn't like RA's solution there and when I talked to them about an alternate method, they offered none. So I was trying to see how I might be able to reuse the existing plastic housing liek Exp. One or possibly buy LOD's camera relocation kit and use it with RA's.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Glad you finally got it all dialed in! Looks good.
QQ - What did you end up doing with your camera, is it hidden below the license plate bracket? I really didn't like RA's solution there and when I talked to them about an alternate method, they offered none. So I was trying to see how I might be able to reuse the existing plastic housing liek Exp. One or possibly buy LOD's camera relocation kit and use it with RA's.
Camera is below the license plate angled down...pretty well sorted out bracket.

Sponsored

xusarmy

Outer Banks
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Fab Fours bumper

Ford Bronco Rear Bumper show off thread 1685569495533

OP
OP

bronco_ed

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A quick photo with the rack mounted...You can actually still see through the rearview mirror even with the rack on.

Wow looks pretty good :ROFLMAO:

Ford Bronco Rear Bumper show off thread 1686142556146

Last edited:
OP
OP

bronco_ed

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I went and looked at the road armor bumper mentioned... Nice but that is even more $ :eek::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP

bronco_ed

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

20230531_110928.jpg
20230531_110921.jpg

I like the idea of lowering the tire a bit, I considered it myself. However I realize that it would make it difficult to
hook and unhook the trailer (the latch mechanism) I use the trailer frequently, so it is not an option for me. I like the way you have the cans tucked away.

I had to run out and take a look, that may also be a possible option on the LOD setup with a "fabbed" can mount. There may be enough room, but it will cover some of the window also. Nice set up...

Sponsored
OP
OP

bronco_ed

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I noticed on the gladiator Destroyer bumper they mount the trailer plug in the recessed area of the bumper. I will look and if there is enough room I will cut a hole and modify the plug to fit similarly. "If" there is enough room to access for plugging and unplugging with the spare time mounted.

Ford Bronco Rear Bumper show off thread 1686144548136

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think folks may also want to see side views also. It may help a decision.
Here is I finished version...even with the tire lowered about 4 in I still have plenty of clearance for the hitch (in the attached pic note that that platform thing in my hitch swings out so that my dogs can get in and out easier). The Road Armor set up is expensive, but it is much cheaper buying it from Northridge 4x4 than it is from the dealer...unless the dealer runs one of their huge sales, which is what I was able to take advantage of at 40% off when I bought the bumper. For securing my shovel or my water carrier from walking away when I'm traveling, I have a cable lock that fits perfectly through the handle of the water carrier and the handle of the shovel. I know that if somebody wants something bad enough they'll just find some sort of way to take it, but at least with wheel locks for the spare and some form of security for the accessories it's better than nothing.

20230607_062719.jpg

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here is I finished version...even with the tire lowered about 4 in I still have plenty of clearance for the hitch (in the attached pic note that that platform thing in my hitch swings out so that my dogs can get in and out easier). The Road Armor set up is expensive, but it is much cheaper buying it from Northridge 4x4 than it is from the dealer...unless the dealer runs one of their huge sales, which is what I was able to take advantage of at 40% off when I bought the bumper. For securing my shovel or my water carrier from walking away when I'm traveling, I have a cable lock that fits perfectly through the handle of the water carrier and the handle of the shovel. I know that if somebody wants something bad enough they'll just find some sort of way to take it, but at least with wheel locks for the spare and some form of security for the accessories it's better than nothing.

20230607_062719.jpg
Better angles for context...
20230607_065650.jpg
20230607_065634.jpg

OP
OP

bronco_ed

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks... I will look closer to see if those ideas are possible...

Locks keep honest men honest... The rest will take whatever they want...

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The other important thing to consider if you're running any kind of aftermarket bumper setup is whether or not you want your tailgate limited to 90° or 120°. With the Road Armor bumper, the top extends under the bodywork and there is enough clearance to run the M2M tailgate limiter...I'm not sure what the space limitation is between the LOD or any other aftermarket bumper and the tailgate. I had enough slotted adjustment to position my bumper so that with the M2M in place the factory damper doesn't make contact with the bumper. I have it set to 90° and now when I open my swing out carrier nothing smashes into my tail light. The only other two options I know of to limit tailgate swing are the gas charge strut with a fixed length from hammer built, or the RTR bolt on setup which I suspect requires even more clearance or as much clearance as the M2M. The downside of a gas charge strut is that it will fling your door open and you have to work against the resistance to close your door.
Sponsored