Sponsored

Relay/fuse needed for upfitter switches?

BigSkyBronco

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited - '96 Toyota FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just got a set of Rigid LEDs for my Badlands. I'm comfortable wiring them into the upfitter switches but can't determine if the included relay/fuse on the harness is needed. I'm guessing that they aren't but I'd sure appreciate any information on this.
Sponsored

bradcd

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saab 9-3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do the Rigid lights have instructions? What is the size of the included fuse? Relay probably isn't needed since you're using an aux switch to control.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

No you have upfitters. You use the upfitters for power which are fused already

OP
OP
BigSkyBronco

BigSkyBronco

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do the Rigid lights have instructions? What is the size of the included fuse? Relay probably isn't needed since you're using an aux switch to control.
Oddly, no instructions. The inline fuse is 15A

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It depends how you look it up.
  • If the upfitter circuits are powering the lights, you don't need a fuse as those circuits are already fused.
  • If the lights are powered from the battery and the upfitter circuits simply triggering a relay for the the lights, then yes... you need a fuse on the lights.
If you hook it up via the first method... make sure you check your amperage rating on the lights. Most of the upfitter circuits are only 10 amp, so if your lights needs more power than that you'll need to use to use the specific upfitter circuits that are rated for more current (check the manual).

Sponsored
OP
OP
BigSkyBronco

BigSkyBronco

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

FWIW - I just finished the install. Ditched the relay and the fuse, connected power to the #2 switch (15A, brown/green) because together the lights draw 10.6A. Ground to the smaller of the two choices on the cowl. Simple plug 'n play with the upfitter switches.
Thanks to all who contributed!

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have 2 pair of Rough Country Osram ditch lights all on one circuit. I am using the relays and fuses that came with their harness, because the amp draw might be too high for an upfitter switch. Connected to one upfitter switch, only for on/off. This way if a fuse blows then it’s in the harness and not the fuse box.

My Diode Dynamic pocket lights are all on the upfitter switches, no harness relays or fuses. These are within the amp ratings of the switches.

Robidunno

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback LL Bean 3.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
After reading all this, I wired my ditch lights into the switch directly. I also purchased a separate Fuse/relay block for any other higher amperage accessories that I want to install. It keeps it clean under the hood and makes it easier to figure out what fuse/relay is what rather than several aftermarket harnesses all going to the battery.
Sponsored