Ride quality between trims

zeak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU wrangler, BMW 3 series
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I know it's hard to say yet, but I was wondering if Ford truck owners see a difference in ride quality between trims in the F150, Ranger etc. People talk about higher end trims but that seems to be about tech features. I'm deciding between a Base or BD, and don't need or want all the tech of the higher trims. I will use this car for pavement and getting to the beach/mountains but no serious off roading. If I get the Base, I will get Katzkin/Wet Okole covers which should approximate the MGV of the BD. If all functional things are equal (or close) in terms of a non Squatch engine/tires/wheels, will I actually notice a difference in the handling and comfort for a DD ride? Thanks.
Sponsored

Canyonero02

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F150, 2021 Jeep JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Different tire sizes will effect ride but besides sasquatch/Badlands, the rest should ride the same. An XL F150 and a King Ranch would have the same ride and handing. The higher trims have more sound deadening material to make them quieter.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Depends how you define “comfort.”

Tires are going to play a huge role... tread and stiffness.

I’m assuming OBX will be the most comfortable on road between the softer tires with street tread pattern and the additional sound deadening optioned.

Trims with other street focused tires will be similar. Any “all terrain” or “mud terrain” tire trades street comfort for grip, traction, and “aggressive looks.” Trims that include those will be “less comfortable” on the road.

I think comparing OBX or Base to Wildtrak back-to-back will reveal a big difference in experience.

But that’s the absolute answer when comparing Bronco trims. If anyone is tempted to compare these things against, say, an Accord, I bet all the Broncos will basically feel the same.

$0.02

VTBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Depends how you define “comfort.”

Tires are going to play a huge role... tread and stiffness.

I’m assuming OBX will be the most comfortable on road between the softer tires with street tread pattern and the additional sound deadening optioned.

Trims with other street focused tires will be similar. Any “all terrain” or “mud terrain” tire trades street comfort for grip, traction, and “aggressive looks.” Trims that include those will be “less comfortable” on the road.

I think comparing OBX or Base to Wildtrak back-to-back will reveal a big difference in experience.

But that’s the absolute answer when comparing Bronco trims. If anyone is tempted to compare these things against, say, an Accord, I bet all the Broncos will basically feel the same.

$0.02
I think this is a great take. I’m coming from a Honda Civic, but have driven Tacos, Rangers, and Wranglers with AT tires. I don’t mind the road noise as my Civic literally is a Matchbox car on the highway and the cabin isn’t exactly quiet. Obviously if you throw on big tires with a rough tread, your ride will be stiffer than leaving the stock tires.

I’m planning on going with either BFG KO2s or something similar on the Big Bend aftermarket with a Hotheads Headliner once those are being manufactured. If you’re looking for the most comfortable ride, I would agree that the OBX stock with additional deadening would definitely be the most comfortable!

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
I know it's hard to say yet, but I was wondering if Ford truck owners see a difference in ride quality between trims in the F150, Ranger etc. People talk about higher end trims but that seems to be about tech features. I'm deciding between a Base or BD, and don't need or want all the tech of the higher trims. I will use this car for pavement and getting to the beach/mountains but no serious off roading. If I get the Base, I will get Katzkin/Wet Okole covers which should approximate the MGV of the BD. If all functional things are equal (or close) in terms of a non Squatch engine/tires/wheels, will I actually notice a difference in the handling and comfort for a DD ride? Thanks.
The Base has 30" street tires and Black Diamond 32" all terrains. Assuming the same engine/transmission, I would expect the Base to handle better. It should accelerate and brake quicker due to smaller/lighter tires. It should also run a slalom course quicker than Black Diamond, which translates into better handling in general. The Base has a lower center of gravity also, so it's going to handle more like a car (relatively) than a Black Diamond. Base tires should also be quieter.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

zeak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU wrangler, BMW 3 series
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thanks. That’s very helpful. I know the tires can make a huge difference in the ride feel and noise. Those things can be modified easily between trims, as can sound deadening options. I just wanted to make sure that the driving experience of acceleration,handling etc didn’t feel “cheaper” at the Base level in terms of its basic function, and not all the extra amenities it’s missing.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Another simple thing is how much air you put into the tires. Do you leave them near the bottom of their range or do you pump them up? A couple pounds either way makes a huge difference too.
Sponsored