Sponsored

Rising gas Prices. Anyone Planning on EV or Hybrid as DD ?

IDAbronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Black Diamond Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My DD will be my Challenger SRT392 and my Bronco. 😁
But luckily my commute is only 1.2 miles. So when the weather permits I ride my bike.
Sponsored

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This thread is very polarizing and entertaining lol. I'll just say, EVs are not for everyone, and that's ok. There are those that do like them and do realize a benefit in their situation, and that is ok too. ICE and EVs have their own pros and cons. EVs are not pointless, but they should also not be mandated by a certain date, like my home state of California is doing. Owning both an EV and an ICE, I know where the EV benefits me. I'll always have an ICE in my stable...and I have no problem saying the same about an EV as well. They both serve me well. Like most all news nowadays, I wouldn't trust any news that is strictly pro or anti EV...or ICE for that matter. Only way to know if an EV works for you, is to try...and if it doesn't, that is perfectly ok. Just keep in mind, if it doesn't work for you, it doesn't mean it could work for someone else. Likewise, if an EV works out for someone, they shouldn't assume it will work for everyone else.

btw...I have no shame in referring to my tesla as a supercharged golf cart...its the most fun golf cart I have ever driven lol
Agree 100%. My daily driver is a Model S that we bought new in 2015 when we lived in California not because we are tree huggers, but because it allowed my wife to drive while alone in the car pool lanes while driving down to the Bay Area 300 miles round trip for work about 35 times each year. It saved her about an hour each way. She’s been driving a diesel Range Rover since we moved back to MN in 2018 so I took over the Model S and it’s been my favorite daily driver ever. It’s fast, quiet, reliable($2.5k in total maintenance for 130k miles) and the 200 mile range is plenty as I’m retired and never drive farther than the 140 miles north to our cabin. It’s way more fun to drive than the Range Rover but my wife 100% prefers the Rover and I love that her favorite vehicle ever because it eliminate the need for a dedicated tow vehicle. It pulls our 5,000 and 6,000 pound boats easily for the handful of times each year I need to tow them.

The Bronco will be a completely different, fun, 3rd vehicle but I’m guessing I’ll still drive my Model S at least half the time. It’s acceleration is addicting and it has a way better aftermarket stereo and listening environment than the Bronco ever could. The fact that it costs me about $3 to drive it 100 miles is not really a deciding factor, especially when the boats both get about 1.5-2 mpg which added up to 2,400 gallons of fuel last summer. :oops:

I do occasionally get someone who assumes that I’m a greenie because of my Tesla and I love to remind them that the power plant that gives us electricity(at out cabin) is coal fired and the majority of the others in MN are natural gas. I love the look on their faces when I tell them it takes about 32 pounds of coal to charge my Tesla. :LOL:

Last edited:

DogHauler

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I will not purchase a BEV under any circumstances, maybe a hybrid if no other alternatives. Living in a rural area that loses power when a butterfly farts makes BEVs an absurd choice.

The_Phew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2.3L 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a R1T and a Bronco reservation, and I'm kind of just waiting to see who can deliver their vehicle sooner (and I may take delivery of the other just to resell it for a profit). Fuel vs. electricity costs are the least of my concerns; I suspect depreciation will be BY FAR the greatest difference in ownership costs:

In 10 years, a 7MT Bronco with 100k miles could well be worth half what I paid for it (possibly a good bit more, depending on inflation/economy/supply chain/etc.). If history is any indication, a 10 year old BEV is practically worthless, potentially having NEGATIVE value if the battery pack is dead and I'd have to pay to recycle it (a very real possibility by that time).

But Rivian and Ford seemingly keep one-upping each other with incompetence, so maybe I'll ditch both of them and get the upcoming 4Runner or something.

Teach_This

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BD Sasquatch 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

We have an EV and just got the Bronco. It’s a pretty good combo.
Sponsored