BossMann

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Tommy may not have noticed (maybe he did, I don't know) possible differences in load ratings and tire brands. All of those things play into ride quality as does tire size. That said, common sense would say a C rated 33" would not handle a pot hole as well as a C rated 35".

-Tire size will also help with approach and departure angles.
-1" of GC is HUGE.
-Steering feel should be next to nil. Same. I've rode 31's to 37's on Toyotas. Only difference is you may spin the smaller tire size easier. Another reason larger tires are better in rocks, harder to break the coefficient of friction on a slippery rock.
-More rubber to wrap around rocks is a great thing, 35 >>33's... In these sizes, most are 12.5" wide.
-Gearing can fix most anything when powering the bigger tires. Saw dudes running 115HP 4runner and 38's no issues.
-Dana 44's or the Bronco equivalent are fine for 37's even seen 40's work fine. Two major considerations, don't abuse the truck with axle wrap or bouncing (shouldn't do this on any tire size), make sure your CV angles are good (diff drop?) Really be careful with 40's and that front locker on.... scary for me.
-on and on.
Sponsored

OP
OP

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Tommy may not have noticed (maybe he did, I don't know) possible differences in load ratings and tire brands. All of those things play into ride quality as does tire size. That said, common sense would say a C rated 33" would not handle a pot hole as well as a C rated 35".

-Tire size will also help with approach and departure angles.
-1" of GC is HUGE.
-Steering feel should be next to nil. Same. I've rode 31's to 37's on Toyotas. Only difference is you may spin the smaller tire size easier. Another reason larger tires are better in rocks, harder to break the coefficient of friction on a slippery rock.
-More rubber to wrap around rocks is a great thing, 35 >>33's... In these sizes, most are 12.5" wide.
-Gearing can fix most anything when powering the bigger tires. Saw dudes running 115HP 4runner and 38's no issues.
-Dana 44's or the Bronco equivalent are fine for 37's even seen 40's work fine. Two major considerations, don't abuse the truck with axle wrap or bouncing (shouldn't do this on any tire size), make sure your CV angles are good (diff drop?) Really be careful with 40's and that front locker on.... scary for me.
-on and on.
I" of ground clearance makes no difference at all from my experience= 8 years of off road and rock crawling.
My XP Turbo has 30's. I might drag my skid plate on an obstacle that a friends rzr with 32's misses but it sure doesn't stop me. Now jumping from 30's to 35's = a 2.5" jump in clearance makes a difference.

mcdoogs

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Ford Focus ST, 21 Mercedes Benz E350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Tommy claimed the 35's ride worse than the 33's and worse than whatever is on his jeep. Everyone on this forum says the 35's ride BETTER than the 33's.....
You know, I think 'ride quality' is super subjective. Most people equate it solely to the ability to absorb potholes/bumps which is surely a good factor and would favor thicker, bigger tires. I feel like few regular people think of body roll and steering response when talking about ride quality, both of which will suffer on bigger rubber other things being equal (thats just physics)

BossMann

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To each his own. Every inch counts....

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To each his own. Every inch counts....
Only if your need the extra 0.6 inches, which is easily avoided by going around or picking a different line. BTW; it is less then an inch because the 315's are not 35" tires, they are actually 34's. Over the decades Ford had routinely rounded up in displacement (Fox body 302 engines are 4.9 liters, not 5.0), in fuel economy (see current lawsuits against them), and in horsepower (numerous scandals where they had to modify vehicles after being sold due to being lower then advertised).