First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GMC Denali
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So about 600 miles in and have driven the Bronco more than my 2500 Denali as of late. I've been searching for an OEM soft top so I can experience the open air for awhile before it gets too hot in NC. I was about to pull the trigger on the Bestop with the plan to switch between tops for winter. However I happened to catch the thread where the Bestop now has the big logo dead center on the back, which for me is a deal breaker. So that leaves me bummed that you can't take the middle panel out with the roof rack on, so the wheels have been turning.

I've got a friend that is a fabricator so I stopped by his shop today to see about cutting and raising the rack enough for clearance of the panel. My thoughts are bring it up at a 45, level it back off at a height, and drop it down at 45 just past the middle panel. He said easy enough and could make it look slick. The catch though is I would need one piece (side) of the roof rack so he would have the profile. Anyone have a roof rack that has been damaged laying around? 😁. If I can get this done, I plan on spraying the rails of the roof rack with the same liner I use in the boats I build (and consequently the rails that the removable hoop steps attach too seeing how the hoop steps are coated from the factory but not the rails)

Thoughts?
Sponsored

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP
NCSUDucker

NCSUDucker

Wildtrak
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GMC Denali
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So just to be clear you have a hard top and want a roof rack that you can also take the front and middle panels off?

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/475-hooke-road-discovery-roof-rack-review.68710/post-1878134

I'm still not clear on how @jacobrdoty got the middle panel off but I can confirm you can get the driver panel off with the rack in place. I haven't tried yet and may not as I plan on having a tent over the middle section.
Correct, would like to be able to remove the middle panel without removing the roof rails. The aftermarket rack in that thread has more clearance between the top and the rack. Still not sure why Ford didn't think of that when designing the factory roof rack.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Correct, would like to be able to remove the middle panel without removing the roof rails. The aftermarket rack in that thread has more clearance between the top and the rack. Still not sure why Ford didn't think of that when designing the factory roof rack.
Be aware that the Hooke has a bad whistle so be sure to read the entire thread if you want to go that way.

OP
OP
NCSUDucker

NCSUDucker

Wildtrak
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GMC Denali
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Be aware that the Hooke has a bad whistle so be sure to read the entire thread if you want to go that way.
Not planning on going the aftermarket route if I can't make this one work. Honestly would only be used for rods on occasion. If I don't find a solution, we'll probably just take it off. Granted if I can find a soft top to run in the summer, it won't be an issue once we put the hard top/rack back on in the winter.

Sponsored

jacobrdoty

Outer Banks
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT (Bagged and Boosted) x 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So just to be clear you have a hard top and want a roof rack that you can also take the front and middle panels off?

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/475-hooke-road-discovery-roof-rack-review.68710/post-1878134

I'm still not clear on how @jacobrdoty got the middle panel off but I can confirm you can get the driver panel off with the rack in place. I haven't tried yet and may not as I plan on having a tent over the middle section.
Yep the front 3 panels all come off. The middle one comes off just the same as the front two. You unlatch it and lift slights and pull out between the roll bar and roof rack. Super easy - no real trick to it.

Broncsquatch

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@jacobrdoty How's the wind noise with the Hooke full rack? I've heard the rear partial rack causes a humming/vibrating effect.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I was thinking of something similar, but while you're at it, pick up another OEM roof rack and extend it all the way back.... Ideally I would love to have two mounting points on the rear shell and an extended "long" section.

jacobrdoty

Outer Banks
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT (Bagged and Boosted) x 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
@jacobrdoty How's the wind noise with the Hooke full rack? I've heard the rear partial rack causes a humming/vibrating effect.
It's pretty noisy but in my thread, I've got the mods on there and it's made it much much quieter. Back to the normal road noise of our broncos!