Sponsored

rucRack rear tire mounted storage option installed.

Jornum1

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Explorer ST, 2013 Sequoia
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Like many of us, I have been searching for a exterior storage option for my soft top. I ran across rucRack which has been on the market for for jeeps. It’s a tire mounted rack system.

Having 3 kids and two dogs, interior storage is basically non existent if I am bring the whole family on a adventure. Also having a soft top the only option for a roof rack where you can still put your top up or down is Gobi whenever it actually gets released. I know they are going to start taking preorders this week, but I really need something now and am not sold on having a roof rack. I really love having a open top and don’t know how crazy I would be having a rack over it all the time.

A few features that really sold me on it.

1. It folds up and stores flat against the tire so you can keep it on the truck all the time.
2. The lower tray can be flipped to hold two bikes.
3. The weight is not entirely supported by the spare tire carrier. With the tow hitch mounted load carrier it distributes the weight to the tow bar instead of the tire mount. And you can still open the door normally even with the load handler. I was assured it can easily support 150lb load.
4. I love the minimalist no frills design. Nothing fancy, purely made for function.
5. It is 100% sourced and built in the US.
6. If I did need to take it off it comes off by removing 3 nuts.
7. Amazing quality and customer service. I called to ask a few questions and spoke to the owner Jason for about 20 minutes. He has gone through several generations of this rack and really thought out how it works. He explained how the static load on the door and tire holder is not a issue it’s the dynamic load of when you are driving and hitting bumps. That’s why they designed the load handler to take up that “bounce” and extra stress on the tire carrier/door. A real great guy who stands by his product.
8. Departure angle does not suffer too much. With the load handler it extends out about a foot off the hitch. But the rack itself is above the bumper.
9. And of course having the tailgater table/ tool mount on the top is icing on the cake.

One reservation I had was how far it would extend out the back of the truck. It really isn’t bad at all. I think it looks really tough. I love the cut out
On the top so the 3rd brake light shines through.
I also picked up the flag/umbrella holder as well as the quick fist clamps for the tailgater table(not installed yet).

Driving around today on some of the notorious NJ pothole ridden roads I didn’t hear a sound come from the rack. Other then the back up camera view being slightly obstructed on the far outside you would never know it was there.

Now disclaimer I do not have the load handler on because I do not have a hitch receiver yet! It was ordered almost 3 weeks ago and I’m still waiting for a shipping notification from real truck.com….

Obviously some real world testing needs to be done to see how it holds up. I do plan on getting one of the tailgate reinforcement brackets just as a precaution. Just trying to decide which I like. I know several companies besides Rough Country are coming out with them.
But I see many off road, camping, tailgating, and beach trips in the next few months. I will definitely report back on how it’s holding up.
For a little over $700 I think it’s a great tool to add to my Bronco.
Here are some pics I took today along with one I stole from rucRacks site showing the load handler.

F8184F18-18CC-4787-B3EC-AF54C238408C.jpeg

2175A000-36FE-41C8-9CF5-C0B8106754F1.jpeg

3A604647-5B2B-46FB-AA3E-620FACDD790A.jpeg

1E7BAC65-E9BC-4395-B06B-A27FD744576B.jpeg

7B2CB253-80DD-4205-B87D-BBE07B4C3AA0.jpeg

255F05A8-9145-4286-9541-DFE350E151E8.jpeg

4102A2E3-DC9E-4217-A97F-D54DCEF7D9AC.jpeg

B2BE7D60-FA6D-4859-BF0A-C0AA9AB52A6C.jpeg

FF738973-321B-4DB3-8630-FB55EB13EB32.jpeg

3894D9EC-BAAE-409E-A1AD-46F0B2CDF0B8.jpeg

6A5C5195-F598-4400-8034-ABEA50FC6E22.jpeg

8296B508-F0E6-4BA4-9DAC-CCDC837611AF.jpeg

4B246270-4A48-4A6A-81EF-D2152D63C0BF.jpeg
Sponsored

Lexo52

Big Bend
First Name
Arlexis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Interesting, was looking at the pictures and couldn't see the load handler but then I read the rest of the post. Keep is updated!

Rex21c

Wildtrak
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 fusion energi
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Looks good, however its not the tailgate that needs to be reinforced if I’m recalling correctly, but the hinges which did does not have a hinge reinforcement option. I could be wrong. I don’t see in the pics it being connected to a hitch. I suppose that would help

OP
OP

Jornum1

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks good, however its not the tailgate that needs to be reinforced if I’m recalling correctly, but the hinges which did does not have a hinge reinforcement option. I could be wrong. I don’t see in the pics it being connected to a hitch. I suppose that would help
If you look at the second to last picture. The one with the blue sticker. That is a pic I took from the rucrack website. On the bottom you can see the two rubber feet that sit on the load handler. It’s basically a t bar that comes off your hitch and the feet rest on.
Check out their site for more info. They have a video of how the load handler works.
https://www.rucrak.com/bronco

Also I understand about the hinges. I guess I will see how it holds up! After my conversation with Jason I am confident he knows what he is talking about. So I’m not really worried. But ima half glass full kinda guy!

Sponsored

Bobbyfr

Black Diamond
First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Black Diamond Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That is my bronco on the website. Pretty good product and it does sit on a receiver T frame. I can give more pics if you all want. I do not leave it on all the time as it does set the sensors off in reverse. But to take the bike or out on the beach it’s awesome!

OP
OP

Jornum1

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That is my bronco on the website. Pretty good product and it does sit on a receiver T frame. I can give more pics if you all want. I do not leave it on all the time as it does set the sensors off in reverse. But to take the bike or out on the beach it’s awesome!
Is it the load handler that sets off the sensors? Like I said I don’t have my receiver yet so have not installed it. Perhaps keeping the bar in the back(l, I have the security drawer as well would be a option. I like the ability to use it ina whim. I’m often loading tools and equipment in my bronco.
Plus it looks awesome. I’ve had it ina whole day and 2 people stopped me to ask what it was.

Bobbyfr

Black Diamond
First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Black Diamond Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It’s the t bar support. If you look at the pic, it’s right behind the two sensors on the bumper under the tire

bb163

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Promaster
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Any update on the long term review? Curious how well opening and closing the backdoor works with the logs that go on top of the T-Bar.

BroncoA512021

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I went with this - much less weight and plenty o attachments available. Bolts to car behind spare tire. American made on long Island. Owner of the company is a Bronco owner.

X-Rack

https://www.xrack.us/

Ford Bronco rucRack rear tire mounted storage option installed. xrack1
Ford Bronco rucRack rear tire mounted storage option installed. xrack3
Ford Bronco rucRack rear tire mounted storage option installed. xrack2
Ford Bronco rucRack rear tire mounted storage option installed. xrack4
Sponsored