Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does anyone know of trailer hitch mounted storage like a Thule transporter combi for a Bronco? I'm not sure if something like this will clear the spare tire. I haven't found an after market roof rack yet and I'm looking for extra storage for trips in the interim. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Does anyone know of trailer hitch mounted storage like a Thule transporter combi for a Bronco? I'm not sure if something like this will clear the spare tire. I haven't found an after market roof rack yet and I'm looking for extra storage for trips in the interim. Thanks in advance.
Look for anything compatible with a Wrangler - there are several baskets that fold down to clear tailgate but you have to empty them first. There are a few swinging hitches with the best ones on backorder. And if you find a decent simple basket at Harbor Freight just add a hitch extender. For an extender and folding carrier you are looking at less than $150 out the door.
Ford Bronco Hitch mounted storage 1644332099523
Ford Bronco Hitch mounted storage 1644332170465

Yakima has a swing hitch, Kuat has swing hitches in your choice of left or right swing all for around $400 Rolo has a nice swinging enclosed tub and Yakima has one with bike rack on top. A little more pricey but combined with a hitch extender it is feasible
Swing Out Hitch | etrailer.com

Here is a customer pic of a Rolo on a Jeep with rear tire
Ford Bronco Hitch mounted storage 1644332698540

Quick

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I just picked up the Yakima EXO system with a GearLocker box for the bottom, the top-shelf bracket with the Snowbank for the top. Using a 9” extension, it works pretty well.

Sponsored

Exomodo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The more weight you load on the top, ahead of or behind the center of gravity the more noticeable the shift in the polar moment of inertia of the vehicle, and these tall, wide and short wheelbase rigs get weird really quick. More than 100 lbs and I'd run a cheap (harbor freight Lego) trailer...

Quick

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
The more weight you load on the top, ahead of or behind the center of gravity the more noticeable the shift in the polar moment of inertia of the vehicle, and these tall, wide and short wheelbase rigs get weird really quick. More than 100 lbs and I'd run a cheap (harbor freight Lego) trailer...
While your physics might be correct, the inconvenience of a trailer makes it a non-starter. Can't exactly park a trailer at a mountain condo for 4 days.

Exomodo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Someone made some exterior accessible boxes that replaced the rear windows of Land Cruiser 78 series "Troopies", a YouTube creator, Andrew White, used them and liked them, but they don't add volume. The Winnebago Revel has window "swhales" that increase interior volume opposite that... Both high, yet tight in, and more secure.
The cargo boxes are made by a company called Owl Vans.
luminium-toyota-land-cruiser-70-GWTL004-1-1000x563.jpg

5eac67dac037a0b4ce3edee46a7bbe09.jpg

5b0ae0148ba0ec8e29c5fe32a44d76bf.jpg

Last edited:

Tdub0527

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, 2019 BMW X3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m thinking about getting a basket for my hitch. With the hitch being able to handle 350lbs tongue weight how does it change when adding a hitch extension to clear the tire?

I’d imagine I’d have a filled loaded yeti cooler and a waterproof tote. Or a bike rack with a family of 4 bikes. What should I be worried about weight wise using an extender?

Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I believe @Tricky Dick has all his eggs in one basket, and has a rear basket for his Bronco.

He can likely enlighten you on how his changed his life.

Midlife Crisis

Badlands
First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Missing my 86 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m thinking about getting a basket for my hitch. With the hitch being able to handle 350lbs tongue weight how does it change when adding a hitch extension to clear the tire?

I’d imagine I’d have a filled loaded yeti cooler and a waterproof tote. Or a bike rack with a family of 4 bikes. What should I be worried about weight wise using an extender?
Check with the manufacturer. I had looked at one on e-trailer and they claimed a 50% reduction in tongue weight. They also stated that the longer receiver hitch does not reduce tongue weight.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I believe @Tricky Dick has all his eggs in one basket, and has a rear basket for his Bronco.

He can likely enlighten you on how his changed his life.
As a 2dr owner I'm committed to living as a monk: I leave all my worldly possessions behind.

OP
OP
balynn1971

balynn1971

Badlands
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yakima makes a nice system with extension to clear the spare. I'm not sure on weight limit. System is availavle through REI. I purchased the lower hitch mounted storage and upward extension. I have not added the basket yet but plan on it. Lower storage I had 3 sets of golf clubs and some other items for a trip down to Hilton Head with no issues whatsoever.

https://www.rei.com/product/191116/yakima-exo-swingbase

Use this and you can add the locker, rack, extension, etc. Good modular system IMO.

OP
OP
balynn1971

balynn1971

Badlands
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry, looks like @Quick already called this system out with pics. I have the exact same setup. Worked great for first trip.
Sponsored