First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
I wonder if taking some ratchet straps between the spare tire and the corners of that would help stabilize it better if you go offroad with that on the back.

HeHateMe

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hyundai Palisade
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I've been using the one I ordered from e-trailer... Though, it's the large one, heavy duty, and thus, not portable.

It does fold up though. But when it's on, it's on. Travels well though!

Ford Bronco Portable storage solution -- $100 DIY hitch mounted rack from Harbor Freight 20230314_141649

And tilts down to *barely* clear the swing gate when loaded low clearance. Probably need an extender if loaded high.

I know it clears the swing gate because...

Ford Bronco Portable storage solution -- $100 DIY hitch mounted rack from Harbor Freight IMG_6333

I had to change a flat. 😅

tock13

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, 66 Honda CT90, ‘94 Toyota Xtra cab
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I was thinking of something like this for jerry cans. I saw a swing out bumper in a thread here that would be great as well but I agree with others this would be awesome for hauling some firewood to the campsite.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I've talked to a lot of people who ran hitch racks and lost them (or they broke and lost all the stuff that was on it) in some form or fashion. Found one rack on a dirt road and another on the side of the highway, they both looked to have broken where the pin goes through the square tubing. They're pretty popular in the oilfield, the salesmen and whatnot are usually given big SUV's, and they haul their coolers and gear with a hitch rack. The only success story from people running racks like this came from a guy who had multiple failures from his, not running trails, just a lot of miles on washboard/bumpy oilfield dirt roads. Said the rack would eventually disassemble itself, so he welded the entire thing together with gussets after he got tired of putting it back together again. Then it started breaking at the pin or right at the edge of the receiver, so he welded an internal sleeve in the hitch. He noticed the pins were then getting channels worn in them from all the movement, so he double bolted it to the receiver with a pair of anti-rattle hitch bolts that clamp from inside the hitch, drilled a second hole in the receiver for it and everything. That rack was an absolute UNIT, no movement at all, and would probably bend the receiver before it gave way. Ironically the company he worked for swapped his suburban out for a truck, and he had no use for the rack he worked so hard to perfect.

Something about being unsupported way back there with a loose fitting receiver and pin really wreaks havoc on them, I guess. Definitely keep an eye on it and check that it's still solid occasionally, inspect around the pin hole and where the end of the receiver meets the hitch for any cracks or wear that might be forming.

I think this is what the guy was using on his hitch to keep it solid:
https://letsgoaero.com/silent-hitch-pin-5-8-press-on-locking-anti-rattle-for-2-5-hitches/

Alternatively, an anti-rattle clamp like this would probably go a long way by getting rid of the slop that lets it bang around inside the receiver:
https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Anti-Rattle/etrailer/e99007.html

If nothing else, maybe use some ratchet straps on the corners to the bumper or frame to give it a little more support and add tension to keep it from bouncing around everywhere.

Sponsored

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The main problem I see with running a hitch basket loaded on or off road is the inherent weakness of the stock hitch. There is no triangulation in the design, it just bolts to a single cross member than could twist if overloaded. I have a Kuat Pivot V2 and 1UP bike rack, but my total weight with two bikes is under 150#. The bikes ride pretty close to the spare tire and both devices have an internal cam for tensioning the receiver connections. I’d be hesitant to run anything much heavier, once that cross member is bent it’s staying bent. The Braptor hitch has thicker flanges and some extra supports to triangulate the hitch to the frame. Maybe someone will develop an add on solution for the factory hitch.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/bronco-raptor-hitch-diy-install-with-pictures.54556/

Prkelly

Badlands
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice, while mine does not fit inside the Vehicle. I liked the high sides that fold down on this one. I am using for my Raft and Fishing gear. this also Folds up when not in use. I use with a 7" Hitch Extender because I have the Sasquatch package and I want to fold up when not in use.

Ford Bronco Portable storage solution -- $100 DIY hitch mounted rack from Harbor Freight 1679316016875

86Isuzu

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Bronco II, 03 Ranger Level II, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Has anyone tried this Harbor Freight hitch cargo option? Would love the additional departure clearance this would provide (and the 200lb. capacity difference wouldn’t matter for my use). Just wondering about whether this would clear my 33”x10.5” spare.

https://www.harborfreight.com/300-lb-capacity-atv-cargo-carrier-69858.html
I have it. It wont clear my SAS tire. If you were running say 33" or smaller though, it would probably fit. I put a 6" extension on to clear the tire. Its an ugly solution and there is a metric crapton of slop in the assembly.

whmoorejr

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have it. It wont clear my SAS tire. If you were running say 33" or smaller though, it would probably fit. I put a 6" extension on to clear the tire. Its an ugly solution and there is a metric crapton of slop in the assembly.
I was thinking about trying that carrier, but assembling it upside down.... so it drops down instead of up. I have a large carrier that I can use.... and when I do, I use a hitch drop down thing so the 35" clears.

BroncoA512021

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sponsored

86Isuzu

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I was thinking about trying that carrier, but assembling it upside down.... so it drops down instead of up. I have a large carrier that I can use.... and when I do, I use a hitch drop down thing so the 35" clears.
I suppose you could try that. I certainly wouldn't take it offroad though.
I may mock it up tonight when I get home

whmoorejr

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I certainly wouldn't take it offroad though.
100% agreed. A drop down works great for a fishing trip, family adventure, or whatever locally around here (Houston if very very flat). If I could find a place to go actual off-roading and needed the extra space, I would consider something higher (roof rack) or maybe a tailgate one, but I worry about the extra weight on the tailgate.

X-Rack

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
X-Rack Cargo Carriers are designed to do exactly what you modified the harbor Freight rack to do. All of our cargo decks are separate form the hitch tubes. You can select height that you want your rack to sit, however with the bronco we recommend our XLT tube that clears the spare tire and gives 2" rise. Our racks are made in the USA and all aluminum construction with a 500lb rating. We have functional cargo floor that you can use our cooler/Tote lock bar system, add ski racks and our exclusive strap system for securing our cargo bags. We also feature a rear receiver tube for additional accessories like, off road gear carrier, bikes or snow and ski equipment. All our racks feature silent threaded hitch pins to eliminate rattle and bouncing. Our UM-One deck is 36" and will fit perfectly in the back of the Bronco. Our rack can also convert to a hitch mounted beach cart. In addition the same cargo carrier can be mounted over the spare tire with our spare tire bracket kit for when you have smaller loads. www.xrack.us

UHD-One with cargo bag on bronco 1500x1000.png

IMG_0950.JPG

IMG_9538 copy.jpg

2022-09-25-12.26.41-scaled.jpg

2021-08-13 12.18.59.jpg

2021-08-13 12.20.58.jpg

IMG_1340.jpeg

Threaded hitch pin with clip.jpg

XL2 side view.jpg

2024-02-08 17.51.57.png

86Isuzu

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

IMG_20240420_174648490.jpg

IMG_20240420_174703169_HDR.jpg

whmoorejr

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

On the plus side, it totally clears the tire without the extension piece. But, I don't think that is even speed bump capable, let alone off-road capable. Weld on a couple blades and it may work for tilling the garden. (trying to find the positive here).

Thanks for giving it a shot and uploading the pictures.
Sponsored