Sponsored
OP
OP

Deleted member 49144

Got mine installed yesterday, definitely an upgrade over the factory filter. Also definitely very snug fit in the airbox
yes same thing for me, thought it wasn’t going to fit at first. Just have to pull out a bit on side and it’ll pop in. 👍
Sponsored

JonDW29

Wildtrak
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Just ordered one of these myself. I was looking at the stock filter unimpressed the other day, then log on and see this thread. I'm certainly not a fan of oiled filters if I can avoid it so the dry filter option here sounds perfect. Will be interesting to see if I notice any improvements.

MK0412

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord and Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

For all the recent people who installed the dry filter please update the rest of us after a bit. Wondering what difference is noticed across the board before hitting the order button. Thanks

Brnzbronc

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
If possible, simply drilling a few holes, maybe drilling from the filter side, through the piece there be better than removing it?

Everything helps I'm sure, but you need to be a little careful too. 😉
You could, the baffle is pretty small though.. I just scored the plastic in the corners and gave it a couple smacks and it broke out clean

Hemisfear

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That OEM filter with wavy/deformed paper pleats looks like garbage

S&B looks like a much better made filter
And that's why looks can be deceiving! lol

Sponsored

Hemisfear

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I got my new air filter delivered today and wanted to put out a review as I’ve seen this topic going back and forth. Lid has 4 t30 screws that need to come out, and a plastic push pin on the front, and then comes right off.

First thing I did was inspected the stock air filter, and to my surprise, there was a decent amount of dust and dirt in it. My outer banks has roughly 4,000 miles on it. There was even some dirt in the bottom of the air box. The stock filter does a great job of filtering, but I also believe it’s limiting the air intake a decent amount. Install was super easy, no hose clamps or anything needed. It’s actually held into place by a piece of molded plastic in the bottom of the intake. You have to put in a good amount of force to get it in so it will sit flat.

once you do that, screw lid back on and done. I was able to take it out for a bit of a test and there is a pretty noticeable improvement to throttle response. I was actually quite surprised. Feels like it’s opened up a bit of response that was already there. The stock intake is actually a pretty good design, I really don’t think anything more than a drop in filter is necessary. Also, I wouldn’t use anything more than a dry filter. Cost me $70 for the filter and it was definitely worth it. I’m going to pair it with a whipple intercooler and a tune. All those paired should wake it up quite a bit.

I haven’t decided between the Ford performance tune or to go with whipple tune.

IMG_7424.jpeg

IMG_7425.jpeg

IMG_7426.jpeg

IMG_7431.jpeg

IMG_7430.jpeg

IMG_7429.jpeg

IMG_7427.jpeg

IMG_7428.jpeg

IMG_7423.jpeg
If free flow is what you are looking for, just remove the filter all together! lol
If it's filtering, it's restricting...no way around it!
I will happily stick to the Motorcraft filter.

OP
OP

Deleted member 49144

If free flow is what you are looking for, just remove the filter all together! lol
If it's filtering, it's restricting...no way around it!
I will happily stick to the Motorcraft filter.
im not saying it’s not suppose to restrict, I know it is. The manufacturer is conservative, at pretty much every angle. After taking a shot at this filter, the structural integrity is much better. I also believe it still filters rather well and has better air flow. It does pretty much what I expected it to do, and for $70 that’s what I wanted.

Hemisfear

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

im not saying it’s not suppose to restrict, I know it is. The manufacturer is conservative, at pretty much every angle. After taking a shot at this filter, the structural integrity is much better. I also believe it still filters rather well and has better air flow. It does pretty much what I expected it to do, and for $70 that’s what I wanted.
I doubt it’s “much better”, in fact I would put money on the opposite!
Less restrictive is better filtering and I want better filtering when off road.
The manufacture will use only products that protect their asses, but you do you!

OP
OP

Deleted member 49144

I doubt it’s “much better”, in fact I would put money on the opposite!
Less restrictive is better filtering and I want better filtering when off road.
The manufacture will use only products that protect their asses, but you do you!
i think you just contradicted what you meant to say. Either way, agree to disagree.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just installed mine after running Whipple for 18 months. I will report back, but I am happy to have just as nice of a filter and avoid the cleaning process and oil. Tempted on the CAI - but, I need to hold off for a while. The Ranger is getting a few upgrades at the moment.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Deleted member 49144

Just installed mine after running Whipple for 18 months. I will report back, but I am happy to have just as nice of a filter and avoid the cleaning process and oil. Tempted on the CAI - but, I need to hold off for a while. The Ranger is getting a few upgrades at the moment.
are you referring to whipple tune? If so, how do you like it? I can get a really good deal on a whipple intercooler and I’m considering pairing the tune up with it.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anyone on here running the K&N drop filter. And willing to admit it. Just looking for real world experience from those that are running it. Good or Bad! I have read here where several Bronco owners have changed out their entire intakes for a CAI from K&N. So besides a "YouTube" video result. Just looking for information from our group. Has anyone had a severe Negative result from the (RED OILED) K&N drop in?? I have one New still in the box waiting for the first oil change to install it. But if popular opinion and actual results of engine damage has happened , I'd be all ears as to what happened. I'm not above returning New unused part for something safer and better for my Wildtrak. These things cost way too damn much and are to hard to get. Thanks in advance for any and all responses
Know this is late, but I installed the K&N standard washable oiled filter in just before my first oil change.

Not going to tout any of the “snake oil” testimonials about increased MPG or anything like that. I just wanted a better filter than stock and I think it is. I don’t fool myself into thinking that this brick is a Mustang either, so faster response is not a plus to me and I haven’t noticed anything anyway.

I do off-road my Bronco as well in dusty and at times kind of muddy North Georgia, so I wanted a filter I can keep clean and will do so at each oil change.

Totally disagree with the “stories“ of letting in more dust, dirt or whatever. Any do when you don’t clean them or fail to clean properly. You clean a filter from the inside to out, re-oil, let dry, then reinstall.

By my doing this every 5K miles along with my full synthetic oil change, I’ll be running much cleaner than the stock change schedule of 30K miles.

Anyway, I have one, I wheel, make of it as you wish, but I’m satisfied.

Langwilliams

Big Bend
First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco big bend, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
If I'm seeing what I think I see, the S&B doesn't have an end cap like the factory filter an has filtering area inside as well as outside. This could greatly increase the flow potential without reducing the filtering effectiveness.

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escalade ESV, Cherokee 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Just from the mere fact that it holds its shape, and filters pretty well. I pulled out Fords and I felt like I could collapse it in my hands. Hard to doubt Ford engineers but still.
The same Ford engineering that put a horizontal/flat filter on the early Power Strokes that would load-up and collapse into the turbo........those engineers?

BLM lost a dozen engines on a wildland fire in Nevada when the filters collapsed into the turbos with 10 lbs of desert..

Last edited:

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
are you referring to whipple tune? If so, how do you like it? I can get a really good deal on a whipple intercooler and I’m considering pairing the tune up with it.
Just the Whipple filter with Panda tune module, Magnaflow Overland Exhaust.

If I'm seeing what I think I see, the S&B doesn't have an end cap like the factory filter an has filtering area inside as well as outside. This could greatly increase the flow potential without reducing the filtering effectiveness.
It’s recessed. I’m sure someone can post pics…mine's already installed.
Sponsored

Last edited: