wordstew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H3 Hummer, Explorer Sport, BMW R1200C
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's awesome. Thankfully I didn't lose everything, but made the decision to get debt-free. Took a few years and it takes off so much pressure not owing money.
Once you're debt free your $$ becomes FU $$ and that's a much more empowering feeling than driving any vehicle
Sponsored

Daytona_Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Are you looking at your numbers correctly? How much a month are you paying for 2 cars? Are they both paid off?

If you were to sell both vehicles, you would have money for a down payment (unless you are upside down). Buying something for over 50k with no down payment is not a great idea.

If I were you, I would sell the Camaro. Then trade in the F150 when you pick up the Bronco. Get a Base Bronco with either the bigger engine or Sasquatch- whichever is more important.

Pretty much everything else you can get aftermarket or through Ford. Don’t try to by your dream rig.

Keep your monthly payments low and slowly build it. This is a vehicle you will keep for 8+ years.
This is exactly what many of us in the Mustang community have been doing for years! Buy a standard GT and take time customizing over the years ... For me that's the most fun & best part of cars like this. The tweaking and customizing never ends!

Axxlrod

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Had a Black Diamon reserved. Was thinking it would be around $600/month tops.

I realized the build and price calculator automatically factors in 10% downpayment and slowly realized this is not going to happen for me.

I am young and make pretty good money. I have two cars, an F150 ecoboost and a 2SS Camaro. I was going to sell both to pay for the Bronco if needed. But $700/month for a car is outrageous. Even the base model with any extras puts you over $600 a month with no down payment and excellent credit for a 60 or 72 month loan. Seeing as I don't even have a family yet, there is no way I would ever be able or willing to swing this.

Anyone else coming to this realization too? It kinda sucks. If 4x4 is your thing and that's what you want to spend all your money on, then this is probably a pretty decent option. But I am worried a lot of people might spread themselves a little thin with this one. I am going to keep my older cars and enjoy the best of both worlds. To all of you who are committed and/or have the luxury of affording such a beautiful piece of machinery, I wish you the best! Enjoy it for me.
Not sure how young you really are, but the Bronco isn't an "entry-level" type vehicle. It's basically an expensive toy.

It's price might seem "outrageous" to you, but considering a Honda Accord can easily be $35k, a well-optioned Bronco a $50k isn't out of line. It's just not for young people just starting out.

Also, why are you so worried about what other people spend their money or what they can afford? Don't worry about other people. Just keep your head down, work hard and worry only about yourself.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
It just doesn't make any sense to me when the Bronco Sport has a multiple of the exact same features for $10k less. I understand the offroading side of things comes at a cost for production and as well as R&D, but wouldn't you think the happy medium would be a bit more within reach for someone with an above average income? These prices seem like they are out of reach for A LOT of people.
The base trim bronco is insanely affordable, even with Sasquatch. Way cheaper than an equivalent wrangler... if you don’t want the doo dads and fancy stuff.

GreatDaneMom

Badlands
First Name
Diana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR Badlands; Genuine Buddy Scooter
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I truly am worried about how many people are going to go underwater or make a dumb decision because of this thing. It's just another one of those things that has crept into our culture without keeping up with wages for most people. What's really eerie to think about is that more and more states are moving towards banning oil fed cars in the next twenty years; and the fact these broncos could last double that.
States are moving towards producing more EVs in the next 20 years... not banning ICE vehicles from the roads. I pay a hefty "tax" to register my electric vehicle. Wouldn't be surprised if something similar was applied to gas vehicles on down the road; however, there's no way that the cars we buy today will be banned from the roadways two decades from now. Best of luck to you with your current car-buying dilemma.

Sponsored

Gooner

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I realized the build and price calculator automatically factors in 10% downpayment and slowly realized this is not going to happen for me.

I am young and make pretty good money. I have two cars, an F150 ecoboost and a 2SS Camaro. I was going to sell both to pay for the Bronco if needed. But $700/month for a car is outrageous. Even the base model with any extras puts you over $600 a month with no down payment and excellent credit for a 60 or 72 month loan. Seeing as I don't even have a family yet, there is no way I would ever be able or willing to swing this.

Anyone else coming to this realization too? It kinda sucks. If 4x4 is your thing and that's what you want to spend all your money on, then this is probably a pretty decent option. But I am worried a lot of people might spread themselves a little thin with this one. I am going to keep my older cars and enjoy the best of both worlds. To all of you who are committed and/or have the luxury of affording such a beautiful piece of machinery, I wish you the best! Enjoy it for me.
I was almost in the EXACT same situation as you, but here is what I did:

- I sold one of my vehicles and threw that in savings.
- The monthly insurance that normally paid for that vehicle also goes into savings.
- I started putting $500 every month into savings to simulate the payment I'll be making when I actually have the bronco.
- I cancelled my initial reservation and made another one, slotting me for the 2022 model. I now have time to stack that money I'm throwing into savings. I'm also hoping the 2022 has more customization options.

Builtdadbodtough

Big Bend
First Name
Dad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wtf.com
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
3 year financing was the standard not that long ago. Once people started being dumb enough to finance over 5 or 6 years it ALLOWED manufactures to jack up prices because many people just look at the monthly payment. I am in the mindset of if you are not able to pay it off in 3yrs, you probably shouldn’t buy it... taking advantage of 0% financing for longer term is another topic.
ermmm how long ago was that?

OP
OP

motman243

Black Diamond
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150/Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
These kind of threads are pretty funny. A single young guy with an F150 and a Camaro complaining that he can’t afford a Bronco and looking at a monthly payment. No shyatt you can’t. He has two cars expensive cars now. Apparently they are underwater because he is looking at a payment with nothing down. Spend less. Earn more. Save more. Then you’ll be able to buy what you want. This Bronco is very competitively priced compared to a massive good selling competitor. It is priced as it should be, maybe even low for where they should have priced it.
I thought I was bad at English...

3 year financing was the standard not that long ago. Once people started being dumb enough to finance over 5 or 6 years it ALLOWED manufactures to jack up prices because many people just look at the monthly payment. I am in the mindset of if you are not able to pay it off in 3yrs, you probably shouldn’t buy it... taking advantage of 0% financing for longer term is another topic.
That's exactly what I'm trying to say!! The new normal isn't good.

Agree with all of this. There's a lot of data showing that people are taking out bigger and longer loans for cars these days and are ending up getting themselves severely under water.

I realized I never answered your question about my situation... Yeah it's definitely coming a bit higher than I had hoped. I was going for the black diamond but now am thinking of a base with a lot of options. The things I care about that I would be losing are washout interior, bigger/better tires, and rear locker. The difference is $7,000 which is dramatic. I think the only thing that I would truly miss is the rear locker (and stronger axle). I'm also considering getting a much older jeep and keeping the 4runner instead. Either way this is definitely a toy but I also feel it may be the last of it's kind (especially with a 7MT).
Yeah, I think you are exactly right that it might be the last of it's kind! That's why it's so enticing.

BroncoFanBoy

Base
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

ermmm how long ago as that?
15 years? Point is the same... every year you are willing to extend payments, you are adding 20-30% additional debt for a depreciation asset.

It’s just my opinion, obviously it’s a free country, and there are a lot of people who would prefer to drive a corvette while renting an apartment, for example. Doesn’t make it a financial smart decision though

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored
OP
OP

motman243

Black Diamond
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150/Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
15 years? Point is the same... every year you are willing to extend payments, you are adding 20-30% additional debt for a depreciation asset.

It’s just my opinion, obviously it’s a free country, and there are a lot of people who would prefer to drive a corvette while renting an apartment, for example. Doesn’t make it a financial smart decision though
That's not an opinion. It's a pretty hard fact that keeping a car for 15 years saves close to a quarter of a million dollars over your life than to trade financed cars over your lifetime.

OP
OP

motman243

Black Diamond
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150/Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Also, why are you so worried about what other people spend their money or what they can afford? Don't worry about other people. Just keep your head down, work hard and worry only about yourself.
Becuase it creates a false and unrealistic demand which drives prices higher? I guess it's true that age does not equal wisdom.

KN-CT

Base
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar XK, Ford Mustang, 2020 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This is exactly what many of us in the Mustang community have been doing for years! Buy a standard GT and take time customizing over the years ... For me that's the most fun & best part of cars like this. The tweaking and customizing never ends!

Agreed and I've done the same thing with my Mustang. It's been a lot of fun adding the extras along the way and deciding which mod will be next one. Exactly the reason why I'm buying the Base Bronco. I'm thinking, just like the Mustang, there will be plenty of aftermarket mods and accessories coming later. The popularity of the new Bronco pretty much guarantees that will happen.

Inventor

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base

Dump the two cars and pick cheaper model like the base. Don't click so many buttons on the build.