Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I learn something new everyday on this site. I know that “traction boards” were useless for me in the sand. I’m going off to research more on these scotch blocks.
I’m running sand ladders

which in the past I’ve used psp, and camel trophy used them aluminum and will span a hole and hold approx 6 tons

IMG_1471.jpeg
Sponsored

Chrome_Pony

Badlands
First Name
Chrome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2.3L Badlands High, 2017 LWN Duramax Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks! No you didn’t need to anchor them to the veh to dig?

I’m trying to learn a little about the platform and also trying to rig my sand ladders if possible as scotch blocks in a pinch
I hammer them in and then drive slightly in whatever direction they are placed to preload as much as possible before winching. 2 minimum, sometimes 4, but the coefficient of friction from snow and ice in AK is much lower, so it's mainly just holding the extraction vehicle stationary.

Edit: Oof. PSP. Haven't seen that in years. Your username makes a bit more sense now.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So what you are using these for is the anchor vehicle because there isn't a tree close enough to anchor to? Kinda a cool idea...never heard of it, but makes sense now. I had this image of a crate of single malt Mcallan's hanging from your d-ring...if you bend your frame doing that I will surrender my sword! I would think the flex of the Bronco's suspension would protect the frame from any damage, but might make these hard to use. One word of advice tho...figure out a way to rig it w/a strap instead of a chain...if you take a chain out on the trail people get freaked out...bad accidents happen when chains are involved in recovery

OP
OP
mcinfantry

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So what you are using these for is the anchor vehicle because there isn't a tree close enough to anchor to? Kinda a cool idea...never heard of it, but makes sense now. I had this image of a crate of single malt Mcallan's hanging from your d-ring...if you bend your frame doing that I will surrender my sword! I would think the flex of the Bronco's suspension would protect the frame from any damage, but might make these hard to use. One word of advice tho...figure out a way to rig it w/a strap instead of a chain...if you take a chain out on the trail people get freaked out...bad accidents happen when chains are involved in recovery
Thats what i was thinking. Recovery w/out anchor points and strap vs chain

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Blocks/braces you chock your wheels with, prior to hydraulic rams on tow trucks they were used
I’ve used various objects in the past as suck on a deuce and 5 ton and m715
Just curious for those of you more familiar with this platform

you anchor them to the tow points and the truck digs instead of slides
Ford Bronco Scotch Blocks IMG_1471
Whole Lotta difference. Those things you would be dragging the entire front down compressing front springs to their stops and lifting rear end entirely off the ground. Maybe that's the idea

Sponsored

MillerAndCheeto

Wildtrak
First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Cyber Orange Wildtrak Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So does anyone think it would be ‘possible’ to use the front toe /rear recovery hooks for scotch blocks for winching/recovery?

or are you just going to bend the frame?

The info seems to be hit or miss. Tricky Dick (who is now banned? who did he piss off?) bent his, another guy bent his frame horns during a pull out of sand. On this thread someone said they reefed on a Bronco with an F-250 and no issues....

As a quick insurance policy I added the LOD brackets to my frame horns for the RC High Winch Mount.

And in terms of bending, it'll be the frame horns that is the consistent piece that is having issues - which can be pounded back into place. The frame itself doesn't seem to have any issues.

Who knows? I hope not. I did the LOD reinforcement frame brackets for my RC high winch mount in the front. I have a hitch receiver mount recovery shackle insert in the rear and the supplied Ford tow loop in the rear also. Those are probably ticking time bombs. Lol.
Ford Bronco Scotch Blocks IMG_1471

Have you had a chance to use your winch since the LOD reinforcement? I'm heading out this weekend to give it a go.

Also, the red FORD on the grill is nice.

Mudlight

Base
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
Base
The info seems to be hit or miss. Tricky Dick (who is now banned? who did he piss off?) bent his, another guy bent his frame horns during a pull out of sand. On this thread someone said they reefed on a Bronco with an F-250 and no issues....

As a quick insurance policy I added the LOD brackets to my frame horns for the RC High Winch Mount.

And in terms of bending, it'll be the frame horns that is the consistent piece that is having issues - which can be pounded back into place. The frame itself doesn't seem to have any issues.

Have you had a chance to use your winch since the LOD reinforcement? I'm heading out this weekend to give it a go.

Also, the red FORD on the grill is nice.
I have not tried it out yet with the LOD brackets, but it seems very stout. Thank you.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'd be a bit concerned using those, as the leverage would be far outside the scope of what the recovery points were intended for. The frame horns are certainly susceptible to bending as evident by the use of high mount winches, which bolt on to the same place. There's a whole ton of strength in a straight pull, but they weren't designed to be wrenched around like that.

I would look into an alternative mounting point for them, honestly. You might have to make your own, maybe some sort of frame pass through or boxing around a tougher section that isn't trying to bend the end of a frame horn around...but there's not a whole lot of frame length between the a-arm and crumple zone to use, and it might not be a good angle either.

Also if you're running in really soft stuff like sand or mud and you're trying to winch someone else out, you might look into a sand anchor. Looks like a plow that you can adjust the angle on and hook up to your winch or a recovery strap. Get it seated in the terrain and hook it up to your rear recovery point with a strap, then use the winch on the stuck vehicle.
Sponsored