Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hello,

Recently there has been quite a bit of discussion regarding possible soft top roof options, such as this thread here:
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/soft-top-roof-rack-recommendations.79678/. There are a lot of great discussion outlining a good deal of options out there, but I am trying to narrow down potential options given my set of criteria, and I'd like to mine feedback from others who may share my position.

Criteria:
  1. Profile. I'd like to find a rack that is 'the least bulky' given a static weight rating of ~600 lbs, which popular racks from jcr, gobi, and racket seem to sit. I will not be pursuing a sit on top tent set up; but I'd like to get a thule and other bulky stuff on top.
    • I personally find something like the gobi rack to be unslighlty and on the 'bulky' side. (*bulky might be too general a word here, so apologies).
  2. Wind Noise. This and 1. are by far the most important items on the list for me. I'd like something that doesn't basically turn the interior of my car into a wind tunnel. As an addendum, if there are minimal modifications to the rack or soft top that remedy the situation; i'd be happy to consider them
    • I love the look of the JCR rack, but I have heard it can get really noisy-but there is some exploration of adding velcro around the mounting points to help seal the cabin, if modifcations like this are indeed effective i'd love to hear about them!
  3. Compatility with light bar. I'd like to be able to add say- a ~35-40 (just to give some idea) lightbar to the setup
  4. Retention of some soft top functionality-even if it's just to pull it back to stage 1 (which is my default soft top config and one I use a lot given the socal weather)
  5. Price. I realize that there isn't going to be a product that meets all these needs in great supply (and hence I'll end up paying a premium)-but this is a nice 'bottom of the list' contraint
Thank you so much for your feedback!
Sponsored

seanoj

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crown Vic, Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a similar quest. Thinking rooftop tent, however.

I would like one that is easy to put on and remove or tilt to allow the top to be put down.

Gobi seems to be the answer for the latter, but none really seem to be quick to remove.

OP
OP

rotty

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have a similar quest. Thinking rooftop tent, however.

I would like one that is easy to put on and remove or tilt to allow the top to be put down.

Gobi seems to be the answer for the latter, but none really seem to be quick to remove.
Yeah, it's quite the ocean of information out there-but getting pointed feedback in any one area is pretty hard

I think I'm leaning raket at this point because the frame doesnt rest on the upper rear quarter-so it should be safer. It's quite a bit more pricey though
Sponsored