Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021...Nope. 2022...still no. 2023? Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good morning everyone-

I’ll start of by saying I’m not an attorney and know very little about contract law (although I do know a written agreement is far superior to an oral one).

Like a lot of you I’ve been following with mixed interest and disgust stories of dealerships trying to charge outrageous markups when a reservation holder comes in to pick up their Broncos.

Beyond that in the delay “message” we all saw this morning there was a sentence that stated that price protection would be MSRP but given the wording about final price being an agreement between the buyer and dealer it seems clear that Ford isn’t going to bring much if any pressure to bear on dealerships charging crazy markups.

So I’d urge everyone who doesn’t have a long-standing/trustworthy relationship with their dealer to get something in writing.

I understand a lot of people have something in writing due to putting down a larger deposit - so this is more for people like me who only put down the $100 reservation fee.

My dealership I’m buying through isn’t doing anything like Granger - but since they’re just a couple miles from my house they’re fine (MSRP +$599 document fee - not crazy about that but like I said it’s fine). They’re not charging the $1500ish destination charge (or whatever that’s called).

So all I did was call and talk to the sales manager in charge of Broncos (so not a salesman but someone in some form of management). Told him what I’d heard about dealers charging markups and just asked if he’d send me an email confirming MSRP+$599 for my records. He sent me the email in 5 minutes.

Honestly I think the vast majority of us aren’t going to be screwed by shady dealers - but for piece of mind it’s probably worth a couple minute phone call.

And…if a manager isn’t willing to put that in writing it appears (due to the new MIC fueled delay) there’s plenty of time to change to a dealership that will put something in writing.

I can’t imagine how furious and sick I’d feel if I showed up and they told me the only way I’d be getting a vehicle I’ve been waiting on for more than year was if I were willing to go $20,000 over MSRP
Sponsored

phocion

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

AFAIK people will have to reorder once the MY22 order books open up, so everyone delayed until next year should use that interaction as an opportunity to get the price in writing (for the first or second time).

Presumably there are a few crap-tier dealers who will use the reorder as an opportunity to jack the price, at which point I would bombard them with Ford's price protection communications, and start a conversation with the Ford corporate Bronco Customer Service people.

Tadel001

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘87 Defender 110 RHD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

At the dealer now trying to buy my bronco. That inserted a $5K up charge claiming that is what the market demands. For cancelled orders they are adding $10K. Seems wrong to order your Bronco and then get an up charge because Ford can’t produce the vehicle fast enough.

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My dealer is saying we can use the WBDO as the price guarantee once they get it from Ford. That’ll have the MSRP on it. He said they would charge my whatever the MSRP from Ford is, plus the usual fees. No mark up.
Of course I just placed my order last weekend so I may not see anything until 2023, although it is a soft top!

71to21-2DR

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Good morning everyone-

I’ll start of by saying I’m not an attorney and know very little about contract law (although I do know a written agreement is far superior to an oral one).

Like a lot of you I’ve been following with mixed interest and disgust stories of dealerships trying to charge outrageous markups when a reservation holder comes in to pick up their Broncos.

Beyond that in the delay “message” we all saw this morning there was a sentence that stated that price protection would be MSRP but given the wording about final price being an agreement between the buyer and dealer it seems clear that Ford isn’t going to bring much if any pressure to bear on dealerships charging crazy markups.

So I’d urge everyone who doesn’t have a long-standing/trustworthy relationship with their dealer to get something in writing.

I understand a lot of people have something in writing due to putting down a larger deposit - so this is more for people like me who only put down the $100 reservation fee.

My dealership I’m buying through isn’t doing anything like Granger - but since they’re just a couple miles from my house they’re fine (MSRP +$599 document fee - not crazy about that but like I said it’s fine). They’re not charging the $1500ish destination charge (or whatever that’s called).

So all I did was call and talk to the sales manager in charge of Broncos (so not a salesman but someone in some form of management). Told him what I’d heard about dealers charging markups and just asked if he’d send me an email confirming MSRP+$599 for my records. He sent me the email in 5 minutes.

Honestly I think the vast majority of us aren’t going to be screwed by shady dealers - but for piece of mind it’s probably worth a couple minute phone call.

And…if a manager isn’t willing to put that in writing it appears (due to the new MIC fueled delay) there’s plenty of time to change to a dealership that will put something in writing.

I can’t imagine how furious and sick I’d feel if I showed up and they told me the only way I’d be getting a vehicle I’ve been waiting on for more than year was if I were willing to go $20,000 over MSRP
I have kept a logbook of all the emails from Ford and my dealer with statements that they’re not gonna charge more than the MSRP.
And according to the Ford emails that means 21 prices!
If you’re on or before March 19 of 21

UtahLars

First Edition
First Name
Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Ford Bronco First Edition. ‘21 Audi RS6 Avan
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

This is clearly much better than just signing the DORA and handing over a check for one or several thousand. Just make sure, like you did, that it's someone with apparent authority - the sales manager or GM, not just a rank and file sales guy.

It would be even better to have a signed agreement, and no matter what the dealer says signed agreements are possible even if there is no VIN. But of course, it takes two to tango, and if the dealer won't sign a binding agreement that's that. But at that point I'd wonder what I was doing there in the first place.

FYI, I'm having a similar experience trying to figure out how to get a place in line to get a C8Z06. Just going around in circles with a local dealer. My only question to them is this: what do I need to do to get a secure place in line to purchase the car at a price we fix today (relative to MSRP, of course). The difficulty getting an answer to that simple question is not just a Ford thing. The dealers have optionality with hot cars, and understandably they are not eager to give it up any sooner than they have to, just as nobody who holds a stock option would voluntarily exercise it before the expiry date. But with the allocation system the customer does have some leverage too. We shall see how it goes.
Sponsored