Sponsored

SiriusXM- they are using your cell data to stream your music-and how to change that

SFAforester

Base
First Name
Monte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Base, 2017 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

When you finally get your bronco and you transfer or start a subscription with SiriusXM (if you have the streaming option-which I didn't know I had) once you connect your phone to your bronco, Sirius will automatically use your phone and cell data to download your music without telling you. So when you get to a real rural area and your SiriusXM radio doesn't work, you'll know that they were using your phone (with poor cell coverage) instead of that SiriusXM antenna. Now you may not care about that if you have unlimited cell data, but I don't like the way Sirius (and Ford too) has manipulated you on this.
It's really easy to change this and turn it off. Go to your settings, touch "connectivity", then "Connected Vehicle Features" and slide the "SiriusXM with 360L button to off.

IMG-3910.jpg

IMG-3911.jpg
Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So how exactly are they doing this? What is running on my phone that is giving some Bluetooth device access to my cell data?

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Nautilus, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

When you finally get your bronco and you transfer or start a subscription with SiriusXM (if you have the streaming option-which I didn't know I had) once you connect your phone to your bronco, Sirius will automatically use your phone and cell data to download your music without telling you. So when you get to a real rural area and your SiriusXM radio doesn't work, you'll know that they were using your phone (with poor cell coverage) instead of that SiriusXM antenna. Now you may not care about that if you have unlimited cell data, but I don't like the way Sirius (and Ford too) has manipulated you on this.
It's really easy to change this and turn it off. Go to your settings, touch "connectivity", then "Connected Vehicle Features" and slide the "SiriusXM with 360L button to off.

IMG-3910.jpg

IMG-3911.jpg
Simple solution, donā€™t use SiriusXM. Their service is garbage anyway.

Last edited:

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

It is not using YOUR phone. Sirius uses the sat antenna primarily. Then it is using the BRONCOS built in 5G modem for the stuff in your screenshot. Donā€™t start fear mongering sat radio lmao šŸ¤£

Sponsored
OP
OP
SFAforester

SFAforester

Base
First Name
Monte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So how exactly are they doing this? What is running on my phone that is giving some Bluetooth device access to my cell data?
When you connect your phone to your vehicle your "accept" certain connections (phone calls, music library, maps, emails, messages, etc). As far as I know, SiriusXm is the only non-ford company (outside of your phone's operating system) that you agree to. If you don't have an account with Siruis, then your probably in the clear. I honestly don't know if the free Sirius radio trial that you get when you get your bronco streams through your phone or not. All's I know is that it was doing it automatically with mine and I wanted other guys to be aware that they do it without telling you and there is a way to turn it off.

OP
OP
SFAforester

SFAforester

Base
First Name
Monte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It is not using YOUR phone. Sirius uses the sat antenna primarily. Then it is using the BRONCOS built in 5G modem for the stuff in your screenshot. Donā€™t start fear mongering sat radio lmao šŸ¤£
Do you have proof of this? I'm generally interested. I do know when I have had bad service with my phone that the Siruis radio also has issues. And I have a hard time believing that Ford is paying for my 5G modem built into the bronco to stream Sirius....especially when I talked to a Sirius support tech who told me how to turn it off.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Do you have proof of this? I'm generally interested. I do know when I have had bad service with my phone that the Siruis radio also has issues. And I have a hard time believing that Ford is paying for my 5G modem built into the bronco to stream Sirius....especially when I talked to a Sirius support tech who told me how to turn it off.
Sorry buddy but the burden of proof is on you when you make silly claims that arenā€™t possible. Also, your screenshot is that proof. Says it all there šŸ˜‰

wrickem

Outer Banks
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 F350, '21 G22, '19 911, '17 Jeep JK
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Can't you just let me hate on SiriusXM even more than I already do? You've ruined all the fun :cautious:

Seriously though, good to know, thank you (y)

mikec426

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4dr Sqtch, 20 Triumph Tiger Rally, '04 Yam FZ1
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This is like a political debate... This means _____. No, it actually means _____. :rolleyes:

Sponsored
OP
OP
SFAforester

SFAforester

Base
First Name
Monte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sorry buddy but the burden of proof is on you when you make silly claims that arenā€™t possible. Also, your screenshot is that proof. Says it all there šŸ˜‰
What do you mean? Please explain.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Can't you just let me hate on SiriusXM even more than I already do? You've ruined all the fun :cautious:

Seriously though, good to know, thank you (y)
Keep hating lol. I canā€™t believe itā€™s still around. I havenā€™t paid for that crappy service in at least 10 years.

Riverjeep

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak, F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Interesting, I did not even know that setting was on there, I don't recall seeing it on my F-150.

MudMonsterRacin

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1, 2016 F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have unlimited data. A little SXM tip. If you have a spouse with SXM in their car u only have to pay for one subscription. Download the app on your phone and play it in your bronco though your android auto or apple variant. Each subscription comes with the app free.
Sponsored