Sponsored

Ski/Snowboard season is coming... Best options for carriers?

Danny W

Outer Banks
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 OB (SAS, LUX) / have Wildtrak (Hos) order
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have an OBX sas with Tow but has a soft top. So what are the best options for ski/snowboard systems/racks for the Bronco as I head up the mountains. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For a soft top your best bet is probably a hitch-mounted rack. Yakima has an add-on kit for their bike racks that convert it to be able to hold skis (I think it's called the HitchSki). And I'm sure Thule has something similar.

There are several companies that are working on racks that mount over your soft top. But I don't think any of them are in production yet. The few that I'm keeping an eye on are still in development, and they most they've done is show pictures of their prototypes.

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
For a soft top your best bet is probably a hitch-mounted rack. Yakima has an add-on kit for their bike racks that convert it to be able to hold skis (I think it's called the HitchSki). And I'm sure Thule has something similar.

There are several companies that are working on racks that mount over your soft top. But I don't think any of them are in production yet. The few that I'm keeping an eye on are still in development, and they most they've done is show pictures of their prototypes.
One company just came out with a soft top rack.

GreenMtnBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BadSquatch; 13 Wrangler JK; 04 Lifted Mini
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

cobro92

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350 7.3 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

GOBI has a soft top compatible rack that is available now, but it's $$$.

I also snowboard often in the winter, and I hate hitch racks. Tons of road salt and grime always get on them and can cause rust to the Skis/Snowboard edges if you aren't careful.

My plan for now, until the aftermarket releases some more soft-top compatible racks, is just to put a seat down and find a long, slim plastic bucket I can put my snowboards/skis into and just use that.
Sponsored