Sponsored

Smaller tires on Sasquatch - 295/70/17 ?

Brnco2.7

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1976 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have a 2 door coming in December and I ordered the Sasquatch package. I live 3 miles down a dirt road and after seeing all the videos of the Sasquatch tires throwing rocks all over the side of the truck I was thinking of going from the 315/70r 17 to 295/70/17. I didn’t know if it would throw off the shift patterns of the auto too much. They are a little smaller but 1” narrower with the wider fender flares in would probably make a big difference. I have looked and I haven’t seen anybody do this. Everyone wants to go bigger. I have tried mud flaps on other trucks back here but they don’t do much.
Sponsored

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We have 3 miles of gravel and sand roads to get to the house, still waiting a 2D Badlands with Sasq. We've lived here for 15y and I can tell you that tire tread selection and speed will dictate what gets thrown. From what I've seen only the rocker panels are taking the beating, so tire width isn't going to matter imo. There will always be tire in front of the rocker, nothing can be done about that other than a mud flap. My older trailer was chipped terrible from pulling it with my f350 dually. When I bought a new trailer I extended my dually mud flaps quite a bit, and there's not half a dozen rock chips on it after a couple years even, they do make a difference as far as rocks and sand blasting goes.

Blue's B6G

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco OB 2-Door V6 Sasquatch AMB High Pack
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
There will always be tire in front of the rocker, nothing can be done about that other than a mud flap.
Guys, you don’t have to uglify your new Bronco with mud flaps. And I don’t quite understand why mud flaps are all the rage the past week.

Get some sliders or steps instead.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Mud flaps are a better solution. The Raptor trucks have the same issue. Even with the factory side steps they fling gunk all down the side. In the winter it will pack snow into the door handle. Mud flaps took care of the issue on my Raptor.

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The big reason not to do this is because yes, everything will be off. If you go with smaller tires than your Bronco will actually record more miles than what you are actually driving. The speedo will be off as well. Shift patterns....You really need to reprogram it if you go this route.
When people go the other route, it is the opposite, so the odometer shows 100 miles, but you actually went 110.....
Both are wrong, but the first one really works to your disadvantage.

Sponsored

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Where are most getting these rock chips? The rockers? Why not add those rocker guards Ford sells?

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m opting for the Gatorbak mud flaps. I think they’re the most aggressive looking option, plus I’ve had them before.

You could also Line-X your rocker panels as another option.

Mrpenn46

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands - Cactus Gray
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a 2 door coming in December and I ordered the Sasquatch package. I live 3 miles down a dirt road and after seeing all the videos of the Sasquatch tires throwing rocks all over the side of the truck I was thinking of going from the 315/70r 17 to 295/70/17. I didn’t know if it would throw off the shift patterns of the auto too much. They are a little smaller but 1” narrower with the wider fender flares in would probably make a big difference. I have looked and I haven’t seen anybody do this. Everyone wants to go bigger. I have tried mud flaps on other trucks back here but they don’t do much.
If you really want to do this your dealer might be able to change the Tire size in one of the modules. I know it was an option when I was a Ford mechanic 10ish years ago, I'd be surprised if there was no way for to change that.

Panmort

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Outer Banks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Guys, you don’t have to uglify your new Bronco with mud flaps. And I don’t quite understand why mud flaps are all the rage the past week.

Get some sliders or steps instead.
I'm guessing a non-sas Bronco with steps shouldn't have to worry too much about throwing rocks?

Oceannomad

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Audi Q7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mud flaps are a better solution. The Raptor trucks have the same issue. Even with the factory side steps they fling gunk all down the side. In the winter it will pack snow into the door handle. Mud flaps took care of the issue on my Raptor.
Did the same on both my Raptors. Just bought no drill set for the front from weathertech. Don’t know what’s taking them so long to make a set for the bronco. It’s not like there weren’t 80 rigs at SEMA or anything

Sponsored

Blue's B6G

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm guessing a non-sas Bronco with steps shouldn't have to worry too much about throwing rocks?
I don’t know but that makes sense. The steps do a good job with Sasquatch tires and smaller tires should mean even less rocks thrown.

According to everyone else, though, you’re going to need some mud flaps regardless.

I think the mud flaps are hideous and unnecessary if you already have steps.

Last edited:

one800higgins

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don’t know but that makes sense.

According to everyone else, though, you’re going to need some mud flaps regardless because suddenly that’s the popular opinion here and we all know Americans would rather parrot what they hear than think critically.
Lol, what.

De Brus

First Edition
First Name
De Brus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 HD 1200, '66 IH, '62 VW
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I don’t know but that makes sense. The steps do a good job with Sasquatch tires and smaller tires should mean even less rocks thrown.

According to everyone else, though, you’re going to need some mud flaps regardless.

I think the mud flaps are hideous and unnecessary if you already have steps.

Or maybe the majority just prefers the look of a mud flap over side steps. Once more options are available, they will be the exponentially cheaper option, too.

edit: I wrote that before you edited your snarky comment. And I think side steps are hideous and reduce ground clearance but you don’t see me dogging people who want/have them.

Blue's B6G

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Lol, what.
I edited that out a minute ago. But yeah, suddenly mud flaps are where it’s at and it’s almost like a social experiment to watch.

Blue's B6G

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Or maybe the majority just prefers the look of a mud flap over side steps. Once more options are available, they will be the exponentially cheaper option, too.

edit: I wrote that before you edited your snarky comment. And I think side steps are hideous and reduce ground clearance but you don’t see me dogging people who want/have them.
Let’s be honest. No one likes the look of mud flaps on a Bronco.
Sponsored