Knuckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the dual top option ordered with the MOD top so I can pull rear windows....but after seeing the new video of how easily the soft top works, and driving around today, I'm wondering if I want to go to the trouble of switching tops twice a year. I'm in Chicagoland, and for 5 months we won't have a top down! But just beginning to think I don't need the MOD top...yes, it would be quieter when it's on (5 months), warmer (for 5 months) and probably a bit better against winter elements (but I have a garage!)...

What am I missing?

This thread is not about cupholders.
It's more than about the noise, it's about the wind and pressure changes.
Since you are from the Chicagoland area, Try driving down 39/51 (north/South road) at 65/70 on a windy day with a soft top and the answer will be more than apparent, especially when an 18 wheeler flys by you. Windows flap uncontrollably, top gets sucked up and down, wind whistles like you're in a hurricane, and the pressure changes are annoying. (These experiences were from a Jeep which I owned. note the past tense).
If you are primarily driving around town, then soft tops are nice, but in my estimation, if you intend to drive highway speeds, especially in the plain states, then all bets are off for soft tops.
Sponsored

ArrickSports

Black Diamond
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Chevy HHR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have the dual top option ordered with the MOD top so I can pull rear windows....but after seeing the new video of how easily the soft top works, and driving around today, I'm wondering if I want to go to the trouble of switching tops twice a year. I'm in Chicagoland, and for 5 months we won't have a top down! But just beginning to think I don't need the MOD top...yes, it would be quieter when it's on (5 months), warmer (for 5 months) and probably a bit better against winter elements (but I have a garage!)...

What am I missing?

This thread is not about cupholders.
You only get 5 months of winter in Chicago ;-) lucky!

jimmy234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Is this a legit thing? I've worked for 2 different auto manufactures, and I can't figure out why they would have 2 different wire looms, 1 for a soft top order, and 1 for a hard top. I don't understand why they would source 2 different parts, as well as limiting the ability of a customer down the road to add a hard top.
This is how jeep is. If you buy one with a hard top, you get the wiring and piping for the back wiper and hose. If you buy a soft top, you don't get it. So a lot of people buy hard top initially just in case.

Since you are from the Chicagoland area, Try driving down 39/51 (north/South road) at 65/70 on a windy day with a soft top and the answer will be more than apparent, especially when an 18 wheeler flys by you. Windows flap uncontrollably, top gets sucked up and down, wind whistles like you're in a hurricane, and the pressure changes are annoying. (These experiences were from a Jeep which I owned. note the past tense).
I'm not sure what generation and type of soft top you owned, but this hasn't been the case with my JLU and premium soft top. Yea, the windows will sometimes shimmy a bit when you're doing highway speeds around massive trucks, but the top has never "sucked up and down" on me.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For security reasons hard top for me...I've had a couple soft tops sliced open in the past.

dominicenoa

Badlands
First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Jeff, I wouldn't ask me for help making a decision if I were you. I'm the king of indecision concerning options for my Bronco as it is now. :)

Good luck on your decision sir.

But, do keep this in mind. The rear window on the hard top makes it much easier to loads stuff in the back. With the soft you will need to roll the window, or secure it somehow to get it out of your way. Just a little something to consider if it makes any difference.
The soft top does actually have a “loading position" that gives quite of bit of extra room:

Ford Bronco So why do I need a hard top? 76396D98-6932-4093-9288-4893E1A0D956

That being said, I do like the hard top more anyway.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Headsong

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Exactly on that last. As to sound, it'll always be noisy, especially on the highway when I wouldn't have hard top on anyway. As to cold winters, I'll have heated seats. I don't need roof tracks. Done. Saved 2500 for something else.

Wizard1183

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Sierra/ 2010 Camaro 2SS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you got the rag top you better be parked under a covered garage cause UV and weather will deteriorate the rag in 5-10yrs

Fold

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Kia EV6, Mach E, Miata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hard top all the way...the soft top would be nice in summer, but having the rear washer on the hard top is great in the winter. I would suggest getting a Harken Hoist for the garage to make it easier to put on and take off. I still have one in my garage that I used for my Wrangler 2D hard top and I could get the top off in just a few minutes without assistance while still being able to park the Jeep in the garage under the top.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hard top all the way...the soft top would be nice in summer, but having the rear washer on the hard top is great in the winter. I would suggest getting a Harken Hoist for the garage to make it easier to put on and take off. I still have one in my garage that I used for my Wrangler 2D hard top and I could get the top off in just a few minutes without assistance while still being able to park the Jeep in the garage under the top.
Have there been any confirmed weights released by Ford, for the various hardtops? I wonder on the Bronco 2 door hardtop, with the two panels over the driver/passenger removable, the remaining back section might be less in weight than than my TJ/CJ hardtops.

I used to remove my CJ hardtop myself, walking it out the rear of the Jeep on my back (not fun). Currently remove my TJ hardtop with two person, one on each side and walk it backwards. The new Bronco might be even easier, if less in weight and only the back section to remove as one piece.

Sponsored

Fold

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Kia EV6, Mach E, Miata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They have certainly made it appear less heavy than
Have there been any confirmed weights released by Ford, for the various hardtops? I wonder on the Bronco 2 door hardtop, with the two panels over the driver/passenger removable, the remaining back section might be less in weight than than my TJ/CJ hardtops.

I used to remove my CJ hardtop myself, walking it out the rear of the Jeep on my back (not fun). Currently remove my TJ hardtop with two person, one on each side and walk it backwards. The new Bronco might be even easier, if less in weight and only the back section to remove as one piece.
They have certainly made the Bronco's hard top appear less heavy than the Wrangler, but I have not seen any actual specs. Like I said, I do love the Harken Hoist. Not only does its pulley system make raising and lowering as easy as raising blinds, it also provides safe and easy storage. Being north of 40, my back very much appreciates the system, and it is reasonably inexpensive and not too hard to install.

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Because soft tops suck.

Disclaimer: My Miata had the soft top replaced under warranty twice and I'm salty about it.

alivecchi003

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Optima
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why would anyone want a top that they needed help getting off and on? Besides, if you are out with another couple and they want the topless effect, are you going to drive them back to your place, take the top off and go out again? If you out with your hardtop off and it starts to rain, what are you going to do? Wait under a bridge like a fair weather motorcyclist? With a soft top, you can pull under that same bridge and have your top up in about the same time the cyclist gets his rain gear on.

TOPLESS ALL THE WAY!
If I’m out with a couple and I want the topless effect I’ll just ask my wife and her friend to help with that....

BEM-S4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMWs & Porsches
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I am also hoping someone comes out with a “sunrider” type top that covers the front two panels and middle panel on the 4 door. That would be perfect because it would look like a hard top but would have the convenience of the soft top.
Never new such a thing existed, that would be pretty ideal. Does it roll back and stay in place like an old fashioned sun roof, or do you remove it entirely and keep it in the car (just taking up less space than MIC panels)?

OP
OP
Headsong

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Never new such a thing existed, that would be pretty ideal. Does it roll back and stay in place like an old fashioned sun roof, or do you remove it entirely and keep it in the car (just taking up less space than MIC panels)?
Take a look at Best Top's site....pretty cool if you want to keep a hard top and roll back the front anytime you want.
Sponsored