aasukisuki

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Flex, 1973 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Through a series of unfortunate misunderstandings, multiple orderings, and general lack of detail oriented-ness on my part -- I did not get the free sound dampening headliner in my recently delivered '22 4d badlands with MIC top. I definitely want something to kill the sound a bit, and provide a little more insulation, and since this is now coming out of pocket I'd like to get the best value.

So is the stock sound dampening headliner as bad as people claim? Is there a defacto aftermarket supplier for the best headliners?
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you combine the accessory kit with your FordPass points that'll probably knock the price down quite a bit. (Note you can't use FordPass online so you have to order from your dealer's part counter.)

But... yes... the factory option is nothing spectacular, and if I had paid for it I probably would have been disappointed. It definitely does not really knock down much of the noise. Most of what you hear in the cab seems to be road noise, so obviously the MIC top doesn't really do much to help that issue. It does, however, provide some level of heat insulation between the MIC top and the cabin on hot summer days.

I'm not aware of any aftermarket kits for the Bronco specifically. There are some "universal fit" kits available that are popular in the Jeep world, but I've never used them personally so can't comment much on them.

ATLbronco

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Through a series of unfortunate misunderstandings, multiple orderings, and general lack of detail oriented-ness on my part -- I did not get the free sound dampening headliner in my recently delivered '22 4d badlands with MIC top. I definitely want something to kill the sound a bit, and provide a little more insulation, and since this is now coming out of pocket I'd like to get the best value.

So is the stock sound dampening headliner as bad as people claim? Is there a defacto aftermarket supplier for the best headliners?
I’m in same situation. It doesn’t seem like there are many options in the aftermarket right now.

I wonder if Ford inadvertently killed vendor interest in creating a product by offering a free option that I assume is being included on 80%+ of MIC orders.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If I was paying for it and starting with a bare MIC top, I would start with Dynamat or Kilmat to line the roof before applying the carpet. You can either get the pre-cut accessory available from the part counter using your Ford Pass points. Or you could accomplish the same if you are crafty. Buy the automotive headliner carpet equivalent in a roll and trace out a pattern that you need to cut out. Apply spray adhesive and roll the material.

OP
OP

aasukisuki

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Flex, 1973 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for the input. I have been keeping an eye on the hotheads headliners, but it looks like they're in the same boat a lot of us have been... waiting for their Bronco to show up.

Most of what you hear in the cab seems to be road noise, so obviously the MIC top doesn't really do much to help that issue
What's interesting is the noise I'm hearing reminds me a lot of riding in a convertible with the top up, so I had just assumed a sound deadening headliner might help a bit with that.

The good thing is that the noise isn't unbearable.

Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Gtrekker

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Audi, M1102 Overland Trailer 2-B
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My MIC top came with the sound deadening mat. Not worth the $500 they charged in the build... Anyway, Plane to remove and replace with marine carpet and some dynamat. At a minimum just the carpet, and it will have more coverage then the OEM.

Hothead will have one out soon for the Bronco.

https://hotheadheadliners.com/pages/ford-bronco-headliners

I'm waiting for the release. BTW, there have been some posts adding another seal to the MIC top seals. Sounds like it helped a lot.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What's interesting is the noise I'm hearing reminds me a lot of riding in a convertible with the top up, so I had just assumed a sound deadening headliner might help a bit with that.
To be honest... if I got a decibel meter and actually measured it in a semi-scientific manner, it probably does help a little bit.

I just can't perceive that difference personally when I rode in two vehicles back-to-back—my Badlands with the headliner, and a buddy's Black Diamond without.

OP
OP

aasukisuki

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Flex, 1973 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for this! Hopefully we'll have one of those uncharacteristically warm winter days where I can do this.

Hothead will have one out soon for the Bronco.

https://hotheadheadliners.com/pages/ford-bronco-headliners

I'm waiting for the release. BTW, there have been some posts adding another seal to the MIC top seals. Sounds like it helped a lot.
Yeah, that's the one I've been watching too. Just didn't know if anything else already existed.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
The carpet on the MIC top is... something I am glad I did not pay $500 for.

I think it does a good job if you understand what it is doing. It's not really to keep external noise out, as much as keeping the cabin from being a giant echo chamber.

ChilledFantastic

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The best vehicle Sound Damping materials incorporate Dynamat, Kilmat, Noico, Fatmat and Siless. Various sorts of sound deadeners retain and scatter airborne commotion waves to diminish vehicle clamor. Appropriate establishment methods, for example, cleaning the surface preceding application are fundamental for ideal execution.
Sponsored

Last edited: